Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Newsroom Update

Apple is introducing a new Apple Watch Pride Edition Braided Solo Loop, matching watch face, and dynamic iOS and iPadOS wallpapers as a way to champion global movements to protect and advance equality for LGBTQ+ communities. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

When is iOS 4.3.x coming to Verizon iPhone 4 (CDMA model)

just wondering when Verizon iPhone users will be getting iOS 4.3.x features since you are leaving those users out of the picture of a faster safari and other features that are built into iOS 4.3.x it seems just a bit unfair not only are you as apple promoting more of the AT&T (GSM model) with commercials but also giving better support to the GSM models and leaving out the CDMA users

Verizon iPhone 4, iOS 4

Posted on Mar 28, 2011 12:51 PM

36 replies

Mar 28, 2011 6:26 PM in response to Brianbishop20

yeah.. been there done that. Nobody knows anything for sure. Everybody's guessing. Have no fear though... I did hear that Apple may be delaying the iPhone 5 and focusing on establishing a larger CDMA iPhone base! But that too, is just talk. Be patient. Apple stands by ALL of their products and it's pointless to stess over this. The iPhone 4 is one fine product just as it is!

Message was edited by: brassman1234

Mar 31, 2011 8:01 AM in response to Brianbishop20

I'm curious about the iOS 4.3 update for the Verizon iPhone 4 as well. I like Apple products a lot, so asking about when the update is coming isn't an attack on Apple.

I didn't realize that the 4.3 update was only for AT&T customers until just a bit ago when I tried to put an app on my phone that only works with iOS 4.3. So, although I enjoy my Verizon iPhone very much, being stuck with iOS 4.2.6 is starting to prevent me from using the full range of features (i.e. apps) that prompted me to purchase the iPhone.

I'm wondering if there's any news on when the update might be ready for the Verizon iPhone.

Mar 31, 2011 10:34 AM in response to ajduguid

ajduguid wrote:
What do you think is in the 4.3 update that you're missing out on? One of the big features was the personal hotspot but as a Verizon user you had that before everybody else. Chances are that the next update will bring all the iPhone 4 users into sync anyway.

Unfortunately, that isn't the point. Verizon users, like myself, are upset that we were not warned that we would be fragmented from AT&T users (speaking in the US). Personally, I would love to be able to use the home sync feature with my iPhone to be able to select from my huge library of movies/shows that won't fit on a 32GB iPhone. I also would have liked to have the improved Safari performance.

Mar 31, 2011 10:44 AM in response to Mik3NC

I understand and I sympathize with your frustration, but there's nothing more that anyone here can say. We'll know an update is coming when Apple announced one, and until then, further discussion is pointless and will just lead to an argument (as it's veering toward already). You can comment to Apple about the issue via their feedback pages if you wish:

http://www.apple.com/feedback/iphone.html

Beyond that, we'll all just have to wait.

Regards.

Apr 9, 2011 4:50 AM in response to mjcanino

You're confusion is understood. Whereas everything else Apple makes is on the same iOS, the Verizon iPhone sometimes seems like an OEM version of the product (Maybe HTC secretly made it!). Anyway, there's been some talk that the different radios on the phone made separating the software builds a temporary fragmentation until they can be 'merged' later on. There's also some talk that Verizon themselves are holding back the updates because they have to test them first or perhaps for some nefarious purpose of which Verizon only knows (This one I highly doubt though). There's other chatter that Apple is going to maintain two separate product channels of which both will have different release dates and that Verizon will always trail at least 8 months behind the latest released stuff. There's other rumors too, but they're all rumors. Only time will tell.

One thing of note though is that it's pretty strange that the iPad 2 comes in GSM (AT&T) and CDMA (VZW) 3G/WIFI releases and they all run the same build of iOS. So why can't the Verizon iPhone? Something doesn't add up.

Apr 9, 2011 5:09 AM in response to brassman1234

"One thing of note though is that it's pretty strange that the iPad 2 comes in GSM (AT&T) and CDMA (VZW) 3G/WIFI releases and they all run the same build of iOS. So why can't the Verizon iPhone? Something doesn't add up."

No, that adds up, the iPhone is a, well, phone and does text and phone calls. The iPad only uses 3G for data, no voice and text.

And it looks like an update for the Verizon iPad2 will be necessary anyway.

Apr 9, 2011 9:47 AM in response to deggie

Maybe... but the radio hardware is different to support the specific model that you select. It just seems to me that if they could do it with the iPad, they should be able to do it with the iPhone... eventually. That's why I think that Verizon users won't see any more iOS 4 updates. Verizon got a tweaked iOS 4.2 with the hotspot feature just to ease the impact of waiting for iOS 5. iOS 4.3 was already in the works for the GSM users, but was never intended for the CDMA users. This was to give the iPhone 4 to Verizon while it was still in it's current life cycle and make a few more bucks. The most logical conclusion is that iOS 5 will have support for all iphone 4's. I can't see Apple maintaining two separate software builds indefinitely. How's that for a theory? 🙂

When is iOS 4.3.x coming to Verizon iPhone 4 (CDMA model)

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.