Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Disable Auto Rating

I have just discovered a lot of songs with white stars that I suppose iTunes is rating automatically. How can I disable that "feature"? I can't find it anywhere and I can't even sort songs by rate in order to put together all the automatic ones to put them to zero...

MBP 17", Mac OS X (10.6.4), G4 Cube, PBG4 12", iMac Intel

Posted on Apr 22, 2011 2:10 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 22, 2011 3:23 AM

How can I disable that "feature"?

you can't.

17 replies

Dec 2, 2011 8:43 AM in response to Trinity

In another (of several) thread about this feature bug, someone suggested using the iTunes Feedback page:

http://www.apple.com/feedback/itunesapp.html

The best part of this feature bug is that on an iPod there isn’t a way to tell if it’s an album or song rating. You’ll find yourself asking “Why did I rate this 4, it’s crap, what is wrong with me?”.

Dec 2, 2011 9:01 AM in response to Trinity

White (hollow) stars are album ratings assigned by iTunes, based on the average rating of the songs in the album.

From the iTunes help: If you rate tracks but not the album, iTunes displays the rated songs’ average as the album rating. Stars that iTunes assigns are hollow; stars that you assign are solid.

The only way to disable it, is by rating the album yourself, but then all your songs in the album would have the same rating, and I don't have a single album where I would rate all songs the same 😁

May 27, 2013 4:53 PM in response to Trinity

Found this in another area. Hope it helps.

CharmCityCrab

In Windows, in itunes 10.x and before, what you would do is select "album view" under options, then right click on the album itself (rather than the songs), scroll to "album rating" in the menu that pops up and select "clear album rating". In Windows, in itunes 11.x and after, what you would do is select "albums" on the top bar, right click on the albums effect one at a time, go to "album rating" and then "clear album rating".

I don't know how to adjust these instructions for a Mac, because I don't own one. However, the layout of the program is probably similar enough that maybe you can use these as a rough guide and see if you can accomplish anything.

May 6, 2014 6:05 AM in response to Trinity

I've been trying to remove these auto ratings for a while now. I don't care if iTunes rates an album on an average, but it drives me nuts to have the average applied to any unrated songs in that album. It screws up my smart playlists based on ratings constantly. This has to be one of the most miniscule blunders Apple has made that has an incredibly annoying and persistent effect on users. I mean, to screw up averaging ratings for an album? And the only solution is to unrate each album? Horrible.

Aug 29, 2015 5:06 PM in response to Trinity

I've been sending inquiries into the support team endlessly trying to get them to at least put in a setting to disable this "feature". I've even gone in a few times into the store and spoken to the "Geniuses" about it. I've never been so disappointed in a company. This needs to be addressed yesterday.

May 25, 2016 10:09 PM in response to Trinity

this is the worst bug about itunes...and its been bugged since 2011... come the weopgithsdghg ON .... i'm just gunna keep calling and complaining until you figure out how to unrate my songs that were automatically rated for me for no reason. your loss... last time i called the people had no idea this even existed... was on the phone for an hour just trying to explain to them whats happening.... why do you even have this dumb dumb dumb feature.

Disable Auto Rating

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.