Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iTunes won't stop music videos at the indicated stop time?

iTunes won't stop music videos at the indicated stop time. Start time works though. Both seem to work for mp3.

This problem didn't come up until one or two days ago. My iTunes was updated around that time too.

Thanks!

Mac OS X (10.6.7)

Posted on Apr 26, 2011 4:40 PM

39 replies

Aug 1, 2011 12:02 AM in response to W0LFE

Here is the latest update on that problem: We were recreating the same behavior on several Macbook Pro's and a Macbook Air at the Apple Store Bridgeport Village running Lion yesterday, with the sales staff acknowledging the problem:

audio files will play from the specified start time to the specified stop time

video files will play from the specified start time past the specified stop time all the way until the end.

It is a know bug and has not been fixed in Lion.

Feb 11, 2012 9:42 PM in response to Pete Stonebridge

This issue still exists (as of 11Feb2012)
I am running iTunes 10.5.3.3 along with Windows 7 64bit

Start & Stop Time work fine with .mp3s, however "Stop Time" does nothing for videos

Has anyone found a fix yet?
I assumed Apple would have & would simply release an update but no update to fix this has been released

If I fix this I'll let you know

Mar 2, 2012 1:20 PM in response to W0LFE

One small workaround I've found:

If you're playing videos with Stop Times, control the playback through the Remote app on an iOS device. Even though it still won't stop with the Stop Times, the "time remaining" numbers on the Remote app actually count down to the Stop Time you've put in. Not useful for all circumstances, but this is an easy way to know when to manually skip to the next video in a playlist.

Mar 2, 2012 2:44 PM in response to W0LFE

the apple 'tech' insists that the problem does not exist. He 'cannot recereate' the problem on 'his' system.

The stop times are ignored in every apple store on any computer I tried so far as well as all of my 4 Macbook Pro's in Lion and Snow Leopard. When I point it out to the staff including the 'geniuses', they suggest to go back to the apple tech which is a master in denial. I am moving around in a circle on this problem for over a year now . . .

Mar 2, 2012 7:18 PM in response to derfnam503

I have been struggling with Apple's denial of this bug for nearly a year. If you have a Time Machine backup then you can fix this by going back to Snow Leopard 10.6.6. The upgrade to 10.6.8 first introduced this bug for me (without changing iTunes). I went back to 10.6.6 and it worked again. Then I tried upgrading to 10.6.7 - FAIL. Went back to 10.6.6 - OK. Upgraded iTunes all the way to 10.5.3 and it works fine as long as the OS is not 10.6.7 or later (including Lion!)

I really wish Apple would fix this. They are pressuring me into upgrading to Lion because MobileMe is changing into iCloud but I do not want to upgrade the OS as long as it has this bug. My only other choice is to manually edit the ending of a couple of thousand music videos.

Apr 25, 2012 12:40 AM in response to W0LFE

--UPDATE--

Hello, Everybody

As of today, 25April2012, this issue appears to be at most 1/2 fixed.

Let me explain.
1. I set the STOP TIME of one of my videos to 2:00

2. When playing the video on my PC it played straight through

3. However, After I synced my iPodTouch the video DID STOP @ 2:00

Software info:

iTunes 10.6.1.7 (Today's current edition)
IOS 5.1

Windows 7 64bit

Apr 25, 2012 1:10 AM in response to KnightBuild523

Did the video stop at 2:00 on the iPodTouch or on the computer?

What did you change to 1/2 fix it? Or is this the first time since you noticed the problem that you synched your iPodTouch?

(By the way, this is not an iTunes problem. This problem was introduced with OSX 10.6.7 and has not worked for me with any version of iTunes since then. I downgraded to 10.6.6 and the music videos stop when they are told to with every version of iTunes up to and including the latest. Please fix it soon, Apple. It's driving me crazy!)

Apr 25, 2012 2:17 AM in response to Pete Stonebridge

If you have a Mac computer and want to play music videos, you can use the following Applescript to force the videos to end on time.

You must compile the script and save it as a "Stay Open Application". Then run it in the background when playing music videos and the script will jump to the next track when it should:

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------- ---------------------------

-- This script should be compiled and saved as a "Stay Open" application

-- Start it running and it will jump to the next track when a music video

-- plays longer than its specified Stop time

property RunInterval : 1 -- number of seconds before running again to check for things to do

property TimeResolution : 0.2 -- granularity of our timing (for return values from the idle routine)

-- Globals

global TimeToQuit

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------- ---------------------------

-- Main routine called once at start up.

-- After that the script keeps running the idle routine to check for over-running videos

set TimeToQuit to false

return -- It will now run the idle routine with no delay

-- This is the idle handler that runs every RunInterval seconds to check on things to do

on idle

if TimeToQuit then

quit -- quit this scheduler

return -- ensure it quits without accessing iTunes again (which will abort the quit)

end if

return my CheckInterval() -- Check to see if everything is OK and set the next interval

-- The return value tells the OS when to run the idle routine again

end idle

-- This is the quit handler to allow us to quit when told

on quit

set TimeToQuit to true

continue quit

end quit

-- This routine checks to see if we need to jump to the next track at the end of a video

on CheckInterval()

set IdleTime to RunInterval -- default idle time

try

tell application "iTunes"

if player state = playing then

-- First see how many seconds we have left to play in this song

set SecsLeftToPlay to (finish of current track) - player position

-- If we are very close to the end of this song then just wait until the next one starts

if SecsLeftToPlay < TimeResolution then

if SecsLeftToPlay ≤ 0 then

next track -- To fix the bug introduced in 10.6.7 where it doesn't stop when told

else

delay SecsLeftToPlay

end if

set SecsLeftToPlay to (finish of current track) - player position -- Should be playing the next song by now

if SecsLeftToPlay ≤ 0 then

next track -- To fix the bug introduced in 10.6.7 where it doesn't stop when told

set SecsLeftToPlay to (finish of current track) - player position -- MUST be playing the next song by now

end if

end if

-- If we are going to start a new song before the regular idle time then set us to run near the beginning of the next song

if SecsLeftToPlay < IdleTime then set IdleTime to SecsLeftToPlay

end if

end tell

end try

if IdleTime < TimeResolution then set IdleTime to TimeResolution

return IdleTime -- The return value tells how long to wait before idle runs again

end CheckInterval

May 12, 2012 4:22 AM in response to Pete Stonebridge

KnightBuild523: Your solution is gold. I signed up just to let you know that you saved me a lot of trouble, considering I will be using iTunes to display video on a TV and really need it to stop at the right time on multiple videos. It shouldn't be necessary, but in the face of Apple's neglect it is and I thank you for your help, sir!

iTunes won't stop music videos at the indicated stop time?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.