Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

"bootcamp x64 is unsupported on this computer model" - Any new information??

Hi everyone,

I'm trying to install Boot Camp after a successful installation of Windows 7 on my iMac Intel, and I'm getting the above message. I've scoured the forums and troubleshooting/repairing the "BootCamp64.msi" file is not working. When I troubleshoot the file, it states that troubleshooting is not necessary. When I try to repair the file, it states that I can only repair items that have been installed.

Has Apple addressed this problem, or are there other solutions to try?

Just to confirm, do I need to install BootCamp 3.0 before I can upgrade to 3.1 or 3.2?

I would have thought that Apple would address this common problem by now.

Any help would be appreciated!!

Thanks,

David

iMac, Mac OS X (10.6.7), 24" Intel iMac

Posted on May 16, 2011 11:14 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 16, 2011 12:41 PM

Click on the *.msi file BootCamp64 found in Apple \ Drivers

Control + click and select the "troubleshoot compatibility mode"

If there is a warning, just skip and ignore (nothing we can do about it) that the driver package is "known to cause trouble."

Yup, 3.0.x -> 3.1 -> 3.2

And nope, EFI32 is unsupported on 64-bit Windows 7. The iMac 2008 didnt' get EFI32 even though they had 64-bit Penryn cpu, and at the same time the MacBOOK and MacBook Pro were listed as supported at the time (the MacBook was actually DROPPED from 'supported' in Late 2008 :-(

As long as it is installed, you are fine, or as good to go as you can.

42 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 16, 2011 12:41 PM in response to David Kravetz

If there is a warning, just skip and ignore (nothing we can do about it) that the driver package is "known to cause trouble."

Yup, 3.0.x -> 3.1 -> 3.2

And nope, EFI32 is unsupported on 64-bit Windows 7. The iMac 2008 didnt' get EFI32 even though they had 64-bit Penryn cpu, and at the same time the MacBOOK and MacBook Pro were listed as supported at the time (the MacBook was actually DROPPED from 'supported' in Late 2008 :-(

May 17, 2011 6:36 AM in response to ReMacs

Or newer, it really doesn't matter unless your Mac is NEWER than and doesnt' have drivers on a retail 10.6.3 DVD is all.

Is Boot Camp listed in Programs control panel?

What I suggested is to get Boot Camp 3.0 to install - what is on the DVD.

One step I didn't mention - copy everything off the DVD to a folder in Windows.

Can't save changes to a DVD which it needs to do.

you can also change Properties of Bootcamp64.msi to what you need.

May 17, 2011 10:54 AM in response to The hatter

You did it!

The trick seemed to be right-clicking (or control + click) on the BootCamp64 file and choosing "properties" instead of "troubleshoot compatibility mode." In Properties I clicked on the Compatibility tab and checked the box "Run this program in compatibility mode for:" The only option in the drop-down menu was "Previous version of Windows." I was then able to install Boot Camp 3.0. Updating to 3.1 and then 3.2 was no problem at that point.

One note: when I did this I had already copied the contents of the Boot Camp folder off the DVD and onto the Windows hard drive (as also suggested). I'm not sure if that's necessary, or if this will also work directly from the DVD.

Thanks Hatter!!

David

User uploaded file

May 17, 2011 12:43 PM in response to David Kravetz

Glad it worked and my take is that copying to flash memory or folder is necessary.

No idea why Properties worked and the other did not (you do have to follow the on-screen guide with Compatibility Mode method) but should be identical result.

Of course it seems too much to document and provide a nice How To / Troubleshooting (I ended up with 4 page thread of tips at one point for Windows 7 Beta/RC and Vista 64-bit on Mac Pro). Silly me, I never imagined redesign of forums would put that thread in the shredder :-(

Feb 27, 2012 8:40 PM in response to David Kravetz

You can also do this if the above method doesn't work (above methods didn't work for me):

Boot into Windows 7 and insert or thumb drive that contains bootcamp64.msi files

Right-click on Start » Programs » Accessories » Command Prompt

Select Run as Administrator

Type cd /d F:, press enter

Type cd windowssupport, press enter

Type cd drivers, press enter

Type cd apple, press enter

Type BootCamp64.msi, press enter

All done.

Mar 24, 2012 1:37 PM in response to David Kravetz

I got around the "unsupported" error by going to the Start Menu, then Computer, then click once on the drive with the installer, then tap the "option" button on the keyboard and now click on the "File" menu, then "Open", now double-click on "Boot Camp", then "Drivers", then "Apple", then the very last file listed should be "BootCamp64"(for 32-bit click "BootCamp"). Double-click that and VOILA! Boot Camp should install along with all the Mac drivers. This was on my MacBook Air 11.6" Model 2.1 with Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit. Good luck!

May 31, 2012 8:38 AM in response to The hatter

The hatter wrote:

Yup, 3.0.x -> 3.1 -> 3.2

Thank you thank you! This worked for me! 3.0 is installing as I type this 🙂

May 31, 2012 5:48 PM in response to David Kravetz

Some great info here.

I have a Macbook 5,1 (late 2008) that I installed Windows 7 x64 on.

I cannot seem to install Boot Camp on it, and have actually been surviving on the Windows side just using indivdual driver downloads from the hardware companies. But I am having some trouble with key items (keyboard and trackpad support for example) and want to try to get Boot Camp installed.I don't have Boot Camp available in the Control Panel.

I went through the normal Boot Camp process on the Mac side, including producing the CD. I tried to get the .msi files to run with all the advice here (including Compatibility Mode and as Administrator once moving the files to the local HDD) but I get a message saying the .msi requires elevated privileges and can only run via the setup.exe file, and the setup.exe gives me the "Boot camp x64 is unsupported on this computer model" even with the tricks here.

Any ideas?

Jun 2, 2012 12:19 PM in response to Great Life

Great Life-

Thank you Sir/Ma'am!

I don't know how I missed the Command Line instructions above. The bootcamp disk had a different path so I had to change some of the directions a bit, but once you use the cd command to go to each directory and run the .msi file, it works. I am up and running and can use my function keys and everything.

I had to do this:

cd d/ D: (d is my optical drive, I did move the files the C drive but couldnt figure out the path)

cd drivers

cd apple

bootcamp64.msi

I still have issues connecting to wireless in odd ways but that's another topic.

Thanks Great Life!

Jan 20, 2013 3:52 PM in response to David Kravetz

I really found this post helpful. My keyboard and touch pad functions are working on my windows 7 just like they do in mt lion.

I was receaving the "

"bootcamp x64 is unsupported on this computer model"

but i inserted the start up cd that came with my macbook alluminum late 2008 and when to "Start" "Computer"

and clicked on the cd properties. I clicked on Bootcamp x64 and i installed it. All the drivers installed with it.

then it prompted me to restart my laptop. and BOOOM it all Worked !

Thanks for this post.

Mar 6, 2013 10:42 AM in response to David Kravetz

Yay for old threads

I have an old unibody 2008 macbook that I was trying this on and couldn't get any of the solutions to work for. Here is what I had to do which finally worked. None of the simple stuff was so I took a stab at it.I used a lot of the info on this page to finally come up with a solution but hopefully not everyone has the same issues that I did.

1. In Mac, Burn the files to disc via bootcamp
  2. In windows move that file to the desktop in a folder
  3. Then launch command prompt as administrator
  4. do cd.. until youre at c: (cd.. cd.. cd.. cd.. cd.., etc)
  5. cd users
  6. cd yourusername
  7. cd desktop
  8. cd bootcamp_foldername
  9. cd boot camp
  10. cd drivers
  11. cd apple
  12. bootcamp64.msi

When I did this, it actually started the 64bit installer and worked. I saw graphics install, broadcom, etc. No issues so far.

"bootcamp x64 is unsupported on this computer model" - Any new information??

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.