Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Has anyone had their iTunes account hacked recently 5/2011?

I just received 2 e-mails from iTunes showing purchases of $50 gift cards. When I accessed my account, it had been hacked and my address information was changed from Florida to Mass. but my correct phone number was unchanged as well as my password. I tried to contact iTunes but the ONLY contact is through e-mail. In cases of security or fraud, there should be a toll free number where you can actually talk to someone within a reasonable time. All I received from my e-mail to iTunes was an e-mail saying thanks for contacting them and I should hear from them within 48 hrs. That is simply not acceptable as a business practice for any company that claims to support their customers. Has anyone else had problems recently - Could this be related to the recent large data thefts, and if so why hasn't Apple notified their customers?

Posted on May 18, 2011 11:46 AM

77 replies

May 18, 2011 11:50 AM in response to kelt4ever

Sorry about your account.

"the ONLY contact is through e-mail."

That is correct.

" there should be a toll free number where you can actually talk to someone within a reasonable time."

You can leave feedback for Apple at: http://www.apple.com/feedback

" Could this be related to the recent large data thefts, and if so why hasn't Apple notified their customers?"

No. There is nothing to notify us of.

There are millions of itunes users. Sometimes accounts get hacked. It is very unfortunate but true.

iTunes Store: What to do if your account has been compromised

May 18, 2011 6:30 PM in response to kelt4ever

Not only was my account hacked (April 2011), and Apple took 48 hours to get back to me, but they also disabled my account! So now I had to make a brand new iTunes account and rebuy all my app purchases from the last 3 years because they can no longer be updated. I also lost any iTunes gift card credit I had because they said accounts cannot be enabled once they are disabled.

Extremely poor business practice apple has when it comes to their iTunes store.

May 20, 2011 10:26 AM in response to kelt4ever

@roaminggnome - thanks for the feedback link which I used about the contact issue 🙂 but...

me - " Could this be related to the recent large data thefts, and if so why hasn't Apple notified their customers?"

you - "No. There is nothing to notify us of."

So you don't think if your login and password info has been compromised, that you should be contacted with a heads-up so you could check your CC or bank statements for recent activity? I would think you would want to know ASAP, but that's just me...

And for everyone else... iTunes support in 3 e-mails, kept suggesting to me that I had been phished or was a victim of ID theft and should contact my bank etc. 😕 So I simply replied that that since there had been unauthorized address & CC payment option changes to my account, it was obvious that iTunes had been hacked. I reminded them to go back and look at the e-mail I sent them describing the problem, and they would realize there had been no suggestion of ID theft etc. in my description of the problem. I suggested that they should have a clear understanding of an issue whenever they are replying to a customer who is having the problem, and I politely asked that I be contacted by a Supervisor so I could discuss the problem with them.

Lo and behold, my problem was resolved within 2 hours - although I have not been contacted by a supervisor nor do I expect one will be contacting me 👿 The moral of the story is don't give up, be polite, be clear, always go up the line if your contact isn't helping resolve the issue, and have a $h!%load of patience... 😀

May 20, 2011 6:15 PM in response to kelt4ever

So kelt4ever are you saying your account isn't disabled anymore?

Because I contacted support numerous times with different people and they all said once it is desabled it cannot be enabled. Even Applecare contacted itunes support for me and couldn't get it fixed.

I already started rebuying a lot of my apps with a new account but I still want to continue to pursue this issue.

May 21, 2011 10:21 PM in response to Foxglove9

Yes - My account was first disabled and then they removed both the incorrect address and the incorrect CC#. Then they re-enabled my account and sent me an e-mail with a link to set a new password which I did - remember that your login name and password for iTunes is also your login & password for your apple account... So after re-setting the password I went into my account and selected the 'no payment option' and logged out. All of my iTunes apps & music are on my towers HD, and are available without having to login to my account, so I'm not sure how you lost some of your items - plus I have a 2G backup TM...

One thought that crossed my mind was that since the hacker had changed my address & CC number but not my ph#, that the hacker was just showing off, because I have no way of knowing if the CC put there, was real. Then I thought that it would help muddy the waters of investigation, because it had 3 different elements that didn't match - name, address, CC# - Who knows? But at least with my selecting the no payment option, I can be sure I will not be getting any bogus charges - I will just enter the info to make a purchase then remove it.

Anyway, iTunes did take care of my problem within 48 hrs, with me breathing heavily over their shoulders 🙂but I still think they should at least send out a confirmation e-mail as notification that data had been altered. Most business I work with send out a confirmation e-mail automatically within hours after account information is changed, specifically address the data change.

May 25, 2011 7:24 AM in response to nycinpdx

I am wondering now, if these problems are related to the 'MacDefender' phishing scam that Apple just admitted was going around after reportedly denying any existence of the virus - I believe there is now info on the support page on how to find it and get rid of it.

HOWEVER - this is not the case with my problem, so while they are seemingly not connected, it is unsettling to find out that Apple has been having virus issues but refusing to acknowledge and address the issue till now.

May 25, 2011 7:35 AM in response to kelt4ever

Creating a new password only works if "your account has been disabled for security reasons". If it just says "your account has been disabled" then it's not so easy.

I tried creating a new password, using a different form of payment, even changing the Apple ID and email address and nothing would enable it again. Responses straight from Apple say they cannot enable a disabled account.

I immediately checked my computer regarding that MacDefender virus and don't see anything on my computer. It sounds like something to do with Apple because my account was hacked soon after when I updated my online account with a new credit card (my old one expired).

I suggest everyone file a complaint to the Better Business Bureau as was suggested early. I did that as well.

May 25, 2011 8:38 AM in response to lavernes-mom

I agree macdefender issue is probably not related to this iTunes issue, but one of the reasons I mentioned it is because of the way Apple is reported to have handled it - reportedly they at first denied any knowledge of the problem and even went so far as to tell their support people not to acknowledge the problem or assist in helping to remove the trojan. It makes me wonder about how they are handling this iTunes issue...

May 25, 2011 6:02 PM in response to solesister

Thats what happened to me - so the acct was mine but both the address and the CC number had been changed - I didn't get charged for the 2 $50 gift card on MY credit card but you know someone did - and iTunes is probably telling them 'oh so sorry but tuff for you'. So I didn't receive the $50 cards nor was I charged for them but it was my account - LOL... Would have saved everybody time and money if iTunes would upgrade their support and their web service...

Has anyone had their iTunes account hacked recently 5/2011?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.