Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Will hotmail work as IMAP on the new Lion Mail?

Hi everyone,

I was just wondering whether Hotmail will work as IMAP on the new Mail app in Lion? I've tried the settings used on my iPhone, but to no avail. Or is it still that Microsoft only support Exchange on mobile devices?

Thanks for your help!

MacBook Pro, Mac OS X (10.7)

Posted on Jul 21, 2011 3:07 AM

38 replies

Jul 24, 2011 1:47 PM in response to kiattia

OK, What I have found out is that if you configure e-mail accounts via the System Preferences > "Internet & Wireless" > "Mail, Contacts & Calendars" **instead** of via Mail preferences, there you can select a "Microsoft Exchange" configuration that is the one I have used to configure IMAP on hotmail with my iPhone (m.hotmail.com as server).

OK, but stil, I have tried this and it does not work (as it does on my iPhone and iPad) ...

Anyone?

Jul 25, 2011 12:08 PM in response to vidaubannais

I also tried setting my Hotmail account through System Preferences and selecting "Exchange" but does not work, marks as error.

Also if you try to delete the POP Hotmail account it says all messages and data will also be deleted.

Any other ideas to make IMAP work for Hotmail account in OS X Lion's new Mail application? Thanks.

Aug 17, 2011 7:21 PM in response to Marie-Andrée

Here are some settings for Hotmail, it appears that the "Free Version" which is a POP3 and "Paid for Versions" act differently.

"But now POP3 access is now available to Hotmail users in the United Kingdom, Canada, Australia, France, Japan, Spain, Germany, Italy, and the Netherlands. Microsoft plans to roll out POP3 access to more parts of the world later this year. You can find the settings below:

• POP server: pop3.live.com
• POP server port: 995
• POP SSL required? Yes
• User name: Your Windows Live ID, for example yourname@hotmail.com
• Password: The password you usually use to sign in to Hotmail or Windows Live
• SMTP server: smtp.live.com
• SMTP server port: 25
• SMTP Authentication required? Yes (same as POP3 username and password)
• SMTP SSL required? Yes"

Hope this helps.

Aug 22, 2012 7:37 AM in response to Pavel 555

Pavel 555 what about incoming mail server and outgoing mail server? i type pop3.live.com for incoming mail server and outgoing mail server smtp.live.com, These the result i get.

There may be a problem with the mail server or network. Verifty the setting for account "hotmail" or try again

The server returned the error; connections to host pop3.live.com on the default ports failed

Will hotmail work as IMAP on the new Lion Mail?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.