Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Sound volume problem after upgraded to Lion Mac OS X 10.7? Any help?

I have just upgrade to 10.7 Lion last night. Whenever I change the volume, no matter by pressing the volume up or down button on the keyboard, or using the mouse to change the volume on the top bar, the computer hangs for a while, with no sound, for a few seconds, the youtube video reset or hang, even the Safari hangs for a few seconds.

Anyone has the same problem? Any fix on this?

iMac, Mac OS X (10.7)

Posted on Jul 21, 2011 2:40 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 21, 2011 2:42 AM

Have you performed a PRAM reset?

(Restart your computer, then hold command + option + P + R until you hear the startup chime a second time.)

38 replies

Jul 21, 2011 5:06 AM in response to JB in WI

Same sound issue here with a MBP 13". Have seen a number of threads on this. All controls greyed out for internal sound settings. Plugging and un-plugging headset restores the sound until a reboot, then gone again. Of course seeing so many reports on this after day one Im suprised Apple missed this bug. Hopfully they will address it in the inevitible release of 10.7.1.

Jul 21, 2011 11:01 AM in response to jackoat

Sounds like you have a different problem, Jack. What does system preferences list as your output device when the audio isn't properly working? If it tells you that you're using digital out with nothing plugged into the headphone jack, and if audio works consistently with headphones connected, I think this may actually be a hardware issue, though it's difficult to tell through the internets.

Jul 21, 2011 11:58 AM in response to JB in WI

I've found a number of threads from people speaking to the same problem with different Mac models. The audio was working perfectly after the initial install then, after a reboot... no sound output from the internal speakers, volume set itself to "0" and the controls were greyed out. If you inserted a headphone jack it would reset the sound to work until you rebooted, then... rinse and repeat.

One of the proposed solutions was to change the Audio Midi setup to 32bit and it fixed the problem. Im sure (hope) it will be adressed in an inevitible update.

Thanks for the perspective.

Sound volume problem after upgraded to Lion Mac OS X 10.7? Any help?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.