Previous 1 2 3 Next 33 Replies Latest reply: Sep 20, 2013 8:15 PM by jugalbandi Go to original post
  • edwardfromhelston Level 1 Level 1

    Like many others, I have been annoyed by "Error Reading Setings" for profile manager and wiki.  I have tried many solutions without success unless I reinstaled Kion and Server from scratch - what a waste of time.  Today I tried bloofish47's solution of 3 Nov.  It worked!  I am back to normal.... for now anyway.  Thank you!


    Let's hope Apple sort out a fix.  Lion Server really is a dumbed down piece of software - can I use my Snow leopard Server with Lion?  Itw as so much more flexible and reliable.  What's going wrong with Apple's quality?  More and more issues arising on so many fronts as they introduce poorly tested systems and software.

  • Mark23 Level 3 Level 3

    Solved! At least for me...


    I have described all solutions to the major problems I've been having from a crippled 10.7.3 install to a flourishing one here:


    Hope this helps!

  • zimpe Level 1 Level 1

    Thank you Mark23. That works for me to! The Wiki and Profile-Manager Problem is gone.




  • Mark23 Level 3 Level 3

    You're welcome!



  • loupetron Level 1 Level 1

    Thanks! I had just restored from Time Machine to revert to 10.7.3 and this fixed the "error reading settings issue". Saved my bacon today!

  • dmoakes Level 1 Level 1

    Has anyone had this issue after installing aftermarket RAM? I upped the stock 4GB to 8GB (Crucial DDR3 PC3 10600) and things really haven't worked right since then. I spent several hours on the phone last week doing a reinstall and "proper" setup all on the stock RAM.


    Thinking things were working well a reintalled the aftermarket 8GB. Profile manager worked for about a day and then a got the "Error Reading Setings" message. I put the stock 4GB back in and Profile Manager sprung back to life.


    I'm working on returning the 8GB now...

  • °Bernz° Level 1 Level 1

    Hello all,


    I'm getting this Profile Manager error under Mountain Lion Server 10.8. The script /usr/share/devicemgr/backend/ has moved. I found it here:


    /Applications/ sh


    Unfortunately, it ran with multiple error which I don't have the expertise to debug...


    Anyone has a clue how to fix this error under 10.8?



  • cooltexasdude Level 1 Level 1

    works here too! nice. thanks bloofish47!

  • thatappleguy Level 1 Level 1

    I didn't have any errors with the log file permissions, but the commands you provided did the trick.


    A simple

    stop postgres

    and then

    start postgres

    worked wonders.


    Thanks @bloofish47!

  • davidnjm Level 1 Level 1

    This completely works for people getting both the Wiki and Profile read errors. You may have to do a re-install of

  • rockhill04 Level 1 Level 1

    Bloofish47, I tried your solution but my fullstatus postgress shows everything


    postgres:dataDirHasBeenInitialized = yes

    postgres:PG_VERSION = "9.0.5"

    postgres:dataDir = "/var/pgsql"

    postgres:postgresIsResponding = yes

    postgres:dataDirIsDirectory = yes

    postgres:PGserverVersion = 90005

    postgres:dataDirExists = yes

    postgres:setStateVersion = 1

    postgres:state = "RUNNING"


    But I still get Error Reading Settings on Wiki Server


    Any ideas?

  • davidnjm Level 1 Level 1

    Did you try re-installing and restarting your cpu? I almost gave up before doing this out of frustration so I'd hate to see someone else do that.

  • rockhill04 Level 1 Level 1

    Reinstall server app? How do you do that with losing the server? What happens to all data, profile manager info? The server has 18 users.

  • °Bernz° Level 1 Level 1

    Hi Rockhill04,


    There are a few backup tools "hidden" in the package.


    One of them is for backing up OD. View this post for helpful hints:


    If you google it a bit, you'll find scripts that backup your Server apps.


    Good luck!

  • afyfe Level 1 Level 1

    When I tried script, I got the following errors in /Library/Logs/ProfileManager/devicemgrd.log:


    ProfileManager[48970] <Info>: Running rake command: '/usr/bin/rake --trace db:migrate'

    ProfileManager[48970] <Info>: Output of rake command '/usr/bin/rake --trace db:migrate:

            /System/Library/Frameworks/Ruby.framework/Versions/1.8/usr/lib/ruby/1.8/rubygem s.rb:777:in `report_activate_error': Could not find RubyGem rake (>= 0) (Gem::LoadError)

                    from /System/Library/Frameworks/Ruby.framework/Versions/1.8/usr/lib/ruby/1.8/rubygem s.rb:211:in `activate'

                    from /System/Library/Frameworks/Ruby.framework/Versions/1.8/usr/lib/ruby/1.8/rubygem s.rb:1056:in `gem'

                    from /usr/bin/rake:18


    I tracked it down to /Applications/ cemgrd, which is a ruby script that begins with:

    #!/usr/bin/env GEM_HOME=/Applications/ rver/gems GEM_PATH=/Applications/ rver/gems RAILS_ENV=production /usr/bin/ruby


    And when I checked in the GEM directory given, no rake:

    $ ls /Applications/ /gems






    I fixed the problem by adding ":/Library/Ruby/Gems/1.8" to the end of the GEM_PATH in the devicemgrd script, and ran script again.  Now the profile manager in the Server app works for me again.