Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

LOOK! I installed Lion but the firewire is NOT recognized on my Mac Pro!

I installed LION on my Mac Pro, 2009, 2x 2.26 8 core and BOOM! I could no longer use my studio which is run by a Tascam FW1884 DAW control. When I hooked it up to my macbook ALSO running 10.7, it worked fine! UGH! Then I called tech support and they said I have to go to Genius Bar, I aint got the time to drag my studio down there so I went back to Snow Leopard. Anyone else have this issue?

Mac Pro, Mac OS X (10.7), Primarily for Logic 9/Recording Studio

Posted on Jul 21, 2011 12:04 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 21, 2011 12:15 PM

64-bit mode? tried 32-bit mode. And new drivers or anything.

With production workstations, someone might want to TEST drive Lion but hold off deploying or using it until all the pieces from everyone are even TESTED with the shipping version (things did change as always). Give vendors a good 6 months (10.6.4 anyone?) and two point updates.

105 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 21, 2011 12:15 PM in response to Wills House Mac Recording

64-bit mode? tried 32-bit mode. And new drivers or anything.

With production workstations, someone might want to TEST drive Lion but hold off deploying or using it until all the pieces from everyone are even TESTED with the shipping version (things did change as always). Give vendors a good 6 months (10.6.4 anyone?) and two point updates.

Jul 21, 2011 12:40 PM in response to The hatter

YES! I was wayyyy too into the whole "APPLE" thing, I wanted a new toy etc. I have the LION on my Macbook, works good so far but yes I suggest for ANYONE with a workstation like myself, DO NOT use LION until all the bugs are out of it. I just had to go back in time (Time Machine!) and get my boot disc back to Leopard. The whole thing was very odd, I liked the look though, but it cost me all darn day!

Jul 22, 2011 7:09 AM in response to Wills House Mac Recording

Yup - I've just wasted a day & night with this....

Tascam site say 'Leopard or better' for the drivers but nothing.... Tried reinstalling Tascam drivers etc but nothing.

Had to get a new HD - re-install Snow Leopard then luckily, migrate the Lion install over to SL.

I'm here over 24 hours later thinking why do i both with the 'Apple' upgrade path they set for us? Let us believe everything works fine etc when it simply deosn't...

I couldn't fix the Tascam not being found by Lion so had to go back to SL... £20 back please Apple?

Jul 22, 2011 7:27 AM in response to Wills House Mac Recording

If anyone finds a way around this then please keep me posted.

I've contacted Tascam & await their reply but if it's down to the Mac Pro then I'm hoping it's just a software update they can release rather than the FW800 being at fault...

Fingers crossed

From the 1hour I spent in Lion it looked nice (apart from the upside down scrolling) and would like to move to it if i can.

Best of luck folks...

Jul 22, 2011 8:00 AM in response to RKimmings

I can tell you this, I have a Macbook running LION and my Tascam works fine with that! It is a hardware issue with the Mac Pro's I am most sure of it. Apple wanted me to be the guinea pig and bring my fw1884 AND my Mac Pro to the Genius bar so they could see how to fix it! Yea right, try paying ME for once Apple!!! haha

Jul 22, 2011 8:12 AM in response to Wills House Mac Recording

Yeah i saw it worked on your Macbook - which is a worry for me... My Mac Pro is March 2009 so maybe it was a problem with the early FW800 or something.

Can't blame you for not wanting to strip everything down & take it in.... They'll only scratch their heads anyway.
Wonder if this can be sorted with a software update or whether I've got a dud Mac Pro/Poo?

Jul 22, 2011 8:15 AM in response to Wills House Mac Recording

This is a communication problem.

Legendary.

Tascam FW 1884 users? - Gearslutz.com

A-B-C and you/me/us caught in the middle.

The number of times this happens makes it normal, so the right hand doesn't know what the left does.

There are huge labs, they don't need yours.

Adobe: well, Flash 10.3 wasn't working with the versions of Lion that we had to work with, so we publised "known issues" K.B. and now have a correction blog post.

Usually it is the reverse, something works, then breaks. Why? internal build changes.

Booting from Lion DVD will not work because of 3rd party hardware also.

F6 anyone? so I can load that SI 3132 driver for my PCIe SATA?

Jul 22, 2011 8:24 AM in response to The hatter

Hatter, This article on the FW1884 is VERY old. This is a new firewire peripheral prob inherant in Lion only with the hardware in a 2009/2010 Mac Pro, so far the intel Macbooks work fine with Tascam and Lion. I am sure this prob will be solved when enough Tascam end users with a 2009/2010 Mac Pro complain. It may take a while but it will get "patched" like all the apps they release.

Cheers!

Jul 22, 2011 8:34 AM in response to Wills House Mac Recording

I was saying that the problem now is similar and a repeating problem.

Break support. Require new drivers and patches, even firmware to 3rd party devices.

Lack of testing until a product ships.

OS X shipping before ready and with bugs that were fixed in earlier builds.

Which is why I started with "wait six months" for vendors and for .2 releases.

not that that old problem was the same as now.

I have spent weeks testing to narrow a bug down only to find the finger pointing and having to bring in a middle man. And ready to dispute every claim. Then I had to test pre-released driver and firmware which took the next month. And 3 months later for production versions.

I was sure anyone would understand and that a concrete historical example would help, not confuse.

LOOK! I installed Lion but the firewire is NOT recognized on my Mac Pro!

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.