Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

System Preferences not responding when opening desktop

After installing Lion 10.7, I find that whenever I try to change the desktop wallpaper in system preferences, it freezes and I have to force quit it.

I tried to find the systempreferences.plist, as seen from google searches, but I can't find it anywhere, and those seem to be solutions for SL, L or Tiger.

Help appreciated.

Thanks!

iMac, Mac OS X (10.7)

Posted on Jul 21, 2011 10:56 PM

43 replies

Jul 23, 2011 1:27 PM in response to alexhung

It has to do with a problem accessing the images on the home>images folder. To solve it, just move its content (iphoto library included) to another place. Then, restart System Preferences. Moving your iPhoto library to another location seems to fix the problem. I am sure Apple will issue an update to correct this problem. But, for now this seems to work for me.

Jan 5, 2012 9:58 PM in response to Michael Mebane

I've been having the same issue with system preferences in osx lion freezing and not doing anything for the past week. Your post solved the problem; all I had to do was move the iphoto library and the photo booth library to the desktop, then I moved them back to my pictures folder in the finder window. Now system preferences works like a charm, even if I restart the system the system preferences utilities are all accessible.

This solved the problem; whereas other posts that had me use disk utility to repair the hard drive or repair the disk permissions didn't solve the issue.

This now saves me a call to apple tech support 🙂

Thank you.

>>>

It has to do with a problem accessing the images on the home>images folder. To solve it, just move its content (iphoto library included) to another place. Then, restart System Preferences. Moving your iPhoto library to another location seems to fix the problem. I am sure Apple will issue an update to correct this problem. But, for now this seems to work for me.

Mar 4, 2012 4:20 PM in response to SuriAppleID

This just started happening to me after I downloaded the Mountain Lion Galaxy wallpaper. Im on 10.7.3. System Prefs stopped responding. I used Disk Utility, Onyx, and several other maint. Apps. All I did to fix was open a new Finder Window, find the iPhoto Library and move it. Mine was in User//Pictures folder. I put it in the Finder Pictures sidebar item and Finder restarted, or drag to Desktop then put back into Pictures Sidebar item, and System Prefs worked.

System Preferences not responding when opening desktop

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.