Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Itunes Artwork Problems with Lion

I've noticed some problems lately with Lion and artwork from Mp3 files no longer being seen in the Finder. Im a new Mac user (only a few weeks) and had lots of issues with itunes from the data transfer but finally was able to get everything working (after 8 hours in the retail store)

Anyway when Lion was installed, there were some hiccups apparently in the 10.4 itunes download.

Now, since it has downloaded there seems to be a new problem with certain files' artwork no longer being recognized in the Finder. (I'm not even sure if that matters - the artwork is showing up in itunes and ipod but not in the finder). This is especially affecting new downloaded tracks (not from itunes)..I can add artwork but it will not appear in the Finder...and it also is affecting some older files and folders that did not have any problems. For certain artists with multiple albums, the artwork keeps disappearing...if you are able to add it for one album, it disappears for the second album...if you fix it for the second album, it disappears again for the first. So just wondering if anybody else is having these issues...or has any ideas to fix it. Id really like to have the artwork in the finder; it just makes me feel more comfortable after all the problems I've had. And so far everytime someone at Applecare or Retail Store tells me to do stuff on my computer, it has just screwed things up even more.

MacBook Pro, Mac OS X (10.7)

Posted on Jul 22, 2011 5:08 AM

50 replies

Jul 22, 2011 9:13 AM in response to SingleEngineCessna

Im glad Im not the only one then. It's really wierd. With some of the new downloads, if I close itunes, wait a few hours, and try again, it seems to work. But it still is screwing up some of the older artwork. A really wierd thing happens where it puts artwork on some, then deletes it on others, and vice versa. Showed it to 2 Apple folks and they just said ' dont worry about it in the finder if its showing up in itunes' . I worry cuz I had to spend 8 hours in store fixing the great tips I was given by Applecare employees so I tend to double check everything from now on.

Jul 23, 2011 10:44 AM in response to Frocktar

I just hope Apple has people who monitor this so they can see where the problems are happening. Im also noticing several of the Lion features are not always working. For example, the pinch 2 fingers to zoom seems to work for a few hours, then stops working for half a day, then works again. Im just not sure what is going on. Also when I went to do a Time Machine backup, it started backing up the entire system instead of just doing a quick 10 minute update and is no longer showing my oldest backup (and t here is plenty of room on the external hard drive as its only 3 weeks old)...Im assuming maybe it recognizes Lion as a brand new computer so it's starting from scratch again. Just doesntmake sense to me that it shows the latest pre-Lion backup but has deleted the record of the 'oldest' one which was from July 5. Just lots of confusion...and also Apple doesnt seem to have updated their website and all their online tutorials so Im lost in using many of the most basic applications.

Jul 23, 2011 10:48 AM in response to Frocktar

Just one suggestion for you that Ive found that has worked for some of the missing artwork. Just close itunes and try again the following day. Then copy the artwork back and it may reappear. That has happened to me with all of the new downloads where artwork was missing. I still have one artist with several albums that is all screwy. Its the wierdest thing where you'll get artwork for certain tracks and then others disappear...And then you think you fix it when you get the artwork reappearing, and then it disappears on the first tracks. Its just crazy. I just am not sure if the artwork doesnt show up in Finder, does that mean the artwork isnt associated with the actual file? Ive had so many itunes Issues since my data transfer and have had to manually rebuid the library three times - so I just want to make sure its not getting screwed up again. Apple employees have just said theyve never seen this and dont know - just let it be. But try again the next day after giving itunes a rest, and see if that helps. Ive found that to work for at least the newer downloads. The artwork magically reappears when I try again the following day.

Jul 23, 2011 9:58 PM in response to sajam

I'm having the same issues

At first I thought it was the 3rd party app 'Media Rage' not being compatible with Lion. But this is not the case.

I know this because, I edited the artwork in iTunes; the artwork shows fine. But, when I take that same iTunes file and drag it to my desktop; nothing. Artwork disappears. I've taken the same file, (now on my desktop), move it into Media Rage, and the window shows that the image file is embedded in the .mp3.

Then, I take the file and move it into iTunes, (now 2 copies of the same song), and the artwork shows again.

So, there's definately something wrong in Finder.

Also, this only happens with new .mp3's recently downloaded, (post Lion upgrade). All my media files pre-Lion, show the artwork in finder ...... 10's of thousands of files are fine. The only problems are with those post-Lion.

Lastly, to be sure that there wasn't some Media Rage/Lion compatibility issue, I uninstalled media rage, and edited some 'new' .mp3's soley using iTunes. They are fine while viewed in iTunes. But in finder; nothing.

I can't imagine Apple overlooking something like this .... after finishing with checking the core processes of the OS, it seems as though the very next items to check and verify would be media, (both audio and video).

Many people including myself are experiencing problems with QuickTime Player X . . . . . you guys might want to check this out: https://discussions.apple.com/thread/3200246

Jul 23, 2011 10:42 PM in response to Ricky Waters

Well considering the # of glitches I've personally experienced, I think there are a lot of issues. Was speaking to tech people today and some of the things theyve been hearing from other people. Just one small example, my pinch to zoom gesture sometimes works/sometimes doesnt...It works for a few hours, then stops...then works again. Worked earlier/not working now. T hey said others have been complaining too.

The artwork thing also seems to be happening to lots of people. The only thing Ill say about the new downloads is just put the artwork there, close Itunes and then come back to it tomorrow. Then see if the artwork is back; if not, cut and paste it again and then check...that has surprisingly worked for most (not all) of my "new" downloads.

I also had the same experience where I accidentally deleted a file; then restored it and the artwork was missing. Artwork was in itunes but on the desktop all I got was a music note. So something is definitely OFF.

Jul 24, 2011 7:53 AM in response to sajam

same problem here some people solved it deleteing the itunes cache folder, some deleting finder preferences

it did work for me to delete the itunes cache, but just once, then i have missing artworks all around again

its not because the OS version, its not because the itunes version, its not because you need to do a clean install ... its just happen with no aparently reason , apple need to rewrite the finde code which shows icons , there is something wrong on it

Jul 30, 2011 7:58 AM in response to Dr. Kucho!

I just wasnt sure if the artwork wasnt in the Finder, if that meant the artwork wasnt associated with the actual file. The employees at the Apple store told me not to worry about it if it's showing up in the actual itunes or ipod. (I noticed that the artwork also doesnt show up in the itunes music folder under Time Machine so Im assuming the artwork is a separate file and is being stored should I ever need it)

Aug 2, 2011 4:30 PM in response to Dupin

It obviously is a glitch although Apple techs at the store and the Genius bar refuse to acknowledge it. The one thing Ive found with NEW DOWNLOADS...Is that for some reason, if I close itunes and then reopen it THE NEXT DAY and RECOPY the artwork , it then shows up in the Finder. I still one older artist/albums which are screwed up, but that for some strange reason seems to work for the new downloads. When theyre first downloaded, the artwork wont appear in the Finder (unless its an itunes download)...and wont appear even a few hours later, if I try to cut and paste it again...but for some reason, the next day, if I cut and paste one more time, then it works. Strange but you guys might want to try it.

Itunes Artwork Problems with Lion

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.