Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Exchange problems in Mac Mail Lion

After installing Lion, my exchange account won't connect in Mac Mail. I tried connecting through OWA and Entourage and they both worked fine. I'd really like to use Mac Mail instead of Entourage so I'm trying to figure the problem. Any ideas why exchange won't work in Mac Mail?

I've already reinstalled OS X Lion.

It gives me an error:

User uploaded file

Thanks.

MacBook Pro, Mac OS X (10.7)

Posted on Jul 22, 2011 2:18 PM

34 replies

Jul 22, 2011 5:35 PM in response to atraurig

You don't mention specifically if Mail connected to Exchange prior to you upgrading to Lion. But assuming it did, have you tried deleting the accounts in Mail, then recreating them?

If you did not have Mail connect to Exchange before, then realize that Mail only works with Exchange 2007 and later. Entourage will work with earlier versions of Exchange so you should confirm that you're connecting to Exchange 2007 or 2010 first.

Jul 23, 2011 11:53 AM in response to Onchip

Onchip wrote:

I am also getting the same problem, it is little frustrating as why apple didn't test before they release their major software release like Lion.

It's running perfectly fine for me. Mail and Outlook 2011. On both a 2009 Mac Mini and a 2008 Macbook Pro. I connect to Exchange 2007 & 2010 servers. And by IMAP to an Exchange 2003 server, as well as IMAP to Yahoo, Hotmail and Gmail. All through Mail and Outlook 2011.

"Upgrading" existing installations always has the potential for more unexpected issues, so as much as possible I try to do a clean install. (You can clean install Snow Leopard, then upgrade to Lion or Google on how to do a clean install of Lion.) During my testing, I did upgrade my existing SL on both machines to test Exchange connectivity, as well as clean installs. I did not have any issue with Mail. I read many of the experiences of the other people testing Mail and while there were many small bugs, I do not recall anyone with complete disconnect from Exchange email.

Did either of you check your hard drives for errors first? Apple had recommended installing the 10.6.8 update prior to Lion. Otherwise, a clean reinstall IMHO would have to highest probability of success.

Jul 25, 2011 5:12 PM in response to atraurig

Problem solved!

Server sideissue, please ask your exchange administrator to perform the following actions.

1, Open IIS Manager on yourExchange 2007/2010 Client Access Server

2, Select "Default WebSite" then "EWS"

3, Select"Authentication"

4, Right click on "BasicAuthentication"

5, Make sure its "Enable"

Reboot Exchange Server

And you’re ready to go

Jul 25, 2011 11:18 PM in response to dirkjanb

I've got it working again. Here's what I did:

1) removed outlook 2011 (not complete Office)

2) reinstalled outlook 2011 (outlook did not open!)

3) looked for office update on web, But did not install!)

4) opened Word and used the update option within Word, here He found a critical update (1 week old)

5) installed the update

6) now outlook opened again and my exchange settings now worked great!!!

It worked for me, might workshop for you!

Good luck.

Aug 7, 2011 7:08 AM in response to atraurig

I have the same problem. My new MBA is sitting next to my Imac running 10.6.8. Deleted everything on both machines related to exchange and then added exchange setup on both. iMac works perfectly each time and MBA with Lion always shoes the same error - port 443...

Our email admin has the settings described in this thread.

I used migration assistant to migrate my system from the imac22 to the MBA, and am testing to see if I can use the MBA as the replacement before I wipe and sell the imac22.

Aug 10, 2011 9:41 AM in response to atraurig

I cannot connect to a work exchange account it keeps coming up with the message server rejected password, yet I know it is the right password as my iphone uses the same account fine and will connect to it, it has to be the lion update that has messed it up, I really need this sorting if anyone can help then please reply? HELP!!!!

It connected fine proir to lion upgrade. Is it possible to go back to leopard, and if anyone has done this did it work or is there something else I can try to make it work, not very impressed Apple!!!

Message was edited by: garyfromscarborough

Exchange problems in Mac Mail Lion

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.