Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Lion Silverlight and Netflix oh my

I'm having issues with playing netflix with both Chrome and Safari.

I was using Safari 5.1 when I noticed I was unable to fullscreen the videos on my second monitor hooked up via miniDisplay Port/HDMI. the video gets all choppy and then stops working giving me a beach ball making me force quit.

I tried chrome with better success, video quality was back to normal on my second display and I was able to fullscreen. But I was unable to get out of fullscreen and noticed I had lost control of both my wireless BT apple keyboard and the one on my macbook pro. I had to force quit chrome to get back my controls.

To me it seems like silverlight support for Lion isn't there yet, does anyone else have this issue?

MacBook Pro, Mac OS X (10.7), 5,1 2.53gHz 8gb RAM 64 bit

Posted on Jul 23, 2011 9:08 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 23, 2011 9:46 PM

I've been trying to watch Netflix movies using Firefox after upgrading to Lion. Each time I go to the Netflix website, Silverlight fails, and the suggested fix from Netflix is to quit Firefox and delete my Silverlight.plugin file from the 'Internet Plug-Ins' folder. Then, when I go back to the Netflix website, I am prompted to download/install Silverlight. Then it works. I've tried to use Netflix twice since my Lion install, and had to do this both times.

This is only one of the many many dissappointing failures/crashes that has plagued my Macbook since installing on Thursday.

: (

37 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 23, 2011 9:46 PM in response to TheSmokeMonster

I've been trying to watch Netflix movies using Firefox after upgrading to Lion. Each time I go to the Netflix website, Silverlight fails, and the suggested fix from Netflix is to quit Firefox and delete my Silverlight.plugin file from the 'Internet Plug-Ins' folder. Then, when I go back to the Netflix website, I am prompted to download/install Silverlight. Then it works. I've tried to use Netflix twice since my Lion install, and had to do this both times.

This is only one of the many many dissappointing failures/crashes that has plagued my Macbook since installing on Thursday.

: (

Aug 1, 2011 1:39 PM in response to TheSmokeMonster

Also have a problem with Lion and Netflix on my MacPro. In Safari after choosing a selection, video goes to black screen and nothing happens. Sometimes I get a plug-in error notice. I re-installed Sliverlight, still doesn't work for Safari. However, Netflix works perfect when using Chrome. For me at least, it seems that the main issue is Netflix+Safari+Lion.

Aug 1, 2011 2:11 PM in response to timfromlincoln

after going back and playing around with chrome ff and safari, safari still doesn't want to fullscreen the movie on second display and acts choppy and buggy when trying to.

What a shame, all the fun animated UI stuffs and no support for something a lot of people do on browsers, stream video.

This only happens on the second monitor plugged in via miniDisplayPort to hdmi. I can fullscreen movies on my main MBP 15" display

Aug 6, 2011 7:15 PM in response to timfromlincoln

I'm having issues with chrome and silverlight sometimes. The bug occurs when fullscreen, I am unable to escape fullscreen but the video keeps playing. I had to restart my computer to get it out of fullscreen.

I'm also having issues with HD video with Chrome and Safari, however this was like that on SL and I assume it's my video card (using the 9600)

Aug 7, 2011 2:19 AM in response to TheSmokeMonster

Tried safari again. Love the interface however Flash and Silverlight have crashed my computer a couple time now. when flash crashed safari the whole computer froze and I got beach balls, then when I had to do a hard shut down when I booted it back up, spotlight started to reindex itself and my ichat passwords had to be manually entered... what's going on here?

I verified my disk, it had things wrong in Airport utility app that wasn't there before but supposedly fixed that... Any help would be appreciated unless Apple is telling me that Silverlight and Flash are basically not supported because that's how I feel right now.

I feel like if apple had it their way all the desktops will become iOS devices with none native flash support full of mindless games you get in the App Store. Gimme a break here! Some people still use OSX as a desktop/workhorse, not just for keeping up with social networking.

Highly dissapointed. integrate iOS for the minions with iPhones but keep the focus of a real desktop device with real multitasking. And let me play streaming content that's not quicktime via HTML5. Definitely going to go to feedback with this one. SMH

Aug 8, 2011 4:12 AM in response to TheSmokeMonster

I have a ticket in with Microsoft about Silverlight. The problem for me is only on my external display (MBP "17 2009).

@TheSmokeMonster, for system freezes, do you have the checkbox checked for "Restart Automaticall If Computer Freezes" - System Preferences>Energy Saver? Besides system freezes, are you able to use "Force Quit" instead of a hard reset? Re-booting is the last thing you want to do.

Flash ***** and Apple knows it, and Adobe knows it, and many others as well. Why do you think Adobe just released Edge - HTML 5?

More and more people are realizing that Lion is great and that many issues are easily resolved with some research. The use of Flash does not define an OS. Lion is not that bad and is not close to iOS, just a couple of features, scroll bars, scrolling, Launchpad, etc., all of which can be avoided.

Aug 8, 2011 4:16 AM in response to ted Nightingale

Ted, it would help to know more details about your system. My iMac 5,1 has no trouble with Silverlight and Netflix, and second monitor, and full screen support, though I had to go through Firefox to get it to work. Safari was not working at all for it. I have 2 GB of RAM. I'm on the low end of the totem pole when it comes to it. Now perhaps it is because I've ensured Spotlight indexing is complete before I tried. To do so go to the Spotlight menu in the upper right hand corner and make sure it doesn't mention that it is indexing. If it is, wait until you can go there and it doesn't before trying. My indexing took at least two hours on a 500 GB hard drive.

Oct 26, 2011 6:34 PM in response to prajnaji

Anyone else having severe problems with video in general? I constantly get Kernel panics on DVD, and Silverlight movies. Both Chrome (stable and beta) and Safari have kernel panics. I can never get through any video with out at least 2-3 system crashes. I am seriously thinking on reverting to SL as this is 10.7.2 and still unstable. BTW this is a fresh install!

I have checked the memory and checked the hard drive with no issues. I also dual boot to Windows 7 and there is no problems there at all.

Lion Silverlight and Netflix oh my

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.