Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I really, really miss "File-Save As..."

After upgrading to Mac OS X v10.7 Lion I find that the only way to do a "Save As..." of a document is to "browse all verisions", Restore, Duplicate, then select Save of the copied file, and select "Save As" in the dialog box that appears. That is WAY too many steps that in all previous versions of the Mac OS you just selected "Save As..." from the File menu. What were the Mac OS engineers thinking?? Please bring back "Save As..." from the File menu.

Mac OS X (10.7)

Posted on Jul 25, 2011 8:07 AM

47 replies

Jul 25, 2011 12:35 PM in response to etresoft

OK. Locate the document you what to change. Right click on it and choose duplicate. Now you have a copy to work with without opening up the original file. Open the copy, make your changes and do you see the little red circle in the upper left hand corner? Click on it and you will see a drop down window. From this window you can change the name and select a place to save it to. When you click OK the file will close automatically.

Jul 25, 2011 1:08 PM in response to Bags1301

Have you tried those steps? 🙂

You missed the part where I had to "unlock" my newly created duplicate. Even on a newly-duplicated file in the Finder, there is no drop down window. The document closes immediately. I am given no option to rename the document. You only get the behaviour you describe after creating your duplicate in the application.

And what if I want to change the format? I don't want to create a Finder duplicate for that. Before, I could just do Save As, change the format, and type a new name. If I didn't want a new name, I could use the existing name with a new extension. That isn't possible in Lion because you always get the " copy" suffix. Not only is Duplicate/Save more steps to begin with, you must always re-type the file name. And to add insult to injury, when you change the format, Lion re-selects the entire file name, extension included. I can't even just start typing. I must now click in the file name to select just the base portion and type the new name.

Jul 25, 2011 1:15 PM in response to Dennis Haas

In Preview I use save-as all the time in editing and chopping photos.

Ok export might be ok But where is the key board short-cut for a fast and easy work flow. This is a work machine, I do not need extra steps to accomplish my task.

And why in the world in SysPref>Keyboard I can not create a Export shortcut??? ⇧-⌘-E

Something, anything, this is all I am asking for!

MacBook Pro, Mac OS X (10.7), 2.4GHz IntelCore i5 320 HD 8GB RAM ParallelsDesktop6.0

I really, really miss "File-Save As..."

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.