Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Iphone screen goes black during calls. . .

Sometimes while talking on a call, the screen goes black. I can continue the conversation, but can't hang up or access anything on the screen. Tapping on the screen, or the button is uneffective. I just have to wait till it recovers, which can take a minute or two, or turn the phone off. Anybody else experience this?

iPhone 3GS, Mac OS X (10.5.8)

Posted on Jul 31, 2011 6:56 PM

83 replies

Dec 31, 2016 6:27 PM in response to dcneill

Update: it did NOT fix it! Yesterday I called my husband on his cell and tried to hang up and it wouldn't let me. The screen was not black. I could see the red button to hang up but it didn't let me, so it left a super long message on his voicemail until it hung up itself. I even tried to turn off my phone during the call and it wouldn't turn off. I'm starting to really hate this iPhone and Apple since they are obviously not doing anything to help fix it.

Jan 6, 2017 8:27 AM in response to lyndafrompacifica

My solution to this problem turned out to be simpler than I thought. Here is the problem first. When an iphone6s makes or recieves a call, its screen becomes nearly unresponsive. Cant use keyboard or end a call. I did hard reset vis phone or itunes. Nothing worked except for the following. I simply turned off auto brightness and switched off the phone. After switching on again and it started doing just fine even after switching on the auto brightness again. I hope it helps.

Feb 12, 2017 10:16 AM in response to lyndafrompacifica

I didn't make it through all 6 pages of posts here but my iPhone 6 is having the same type of problem. Every time I'm on a call my screen goes black and the home button will not wake it. I've found that if I press Power then Home it will wake up during the call and I can keep it on if I'm out of the phone app but while it is black I get no text message or other notifications. I expect it is a software problem somewhere but I really don't want to have to go back and do a clean reset just to find it is a bug in 10.2.x.

Apr 29, 2017 7:56 AM in response to lyndafrompacifica

I think that it is a hardware malfunction. I encountered the same problem: screens goes black and buttons don't react during calls. I have also the Navigon app installed. Blocking the proximity sensor by tapping on the screen should activate a built-in speech recognition but in my case the screen goes black. By pushing home + power button two times I can reactive the screen.

Did anyone try to exchange the proximity-senor and did that help? Or ist the error somewhere deeper inside the hardware?

Apr 29, 2017 8:00 AM in response to quadruplex

quadruplex wrote:

I think that it is a hardware malfunction. I encountered the same problem: screens goes black and buttons don't react during calls. I have also the Navigon app installed. Blocking the proximity sensor by tapping on the screen should activate a built-in speech recognition but in my case the screen goes black. By pushing home + power button two times I can reactive the screen.

Most likely it is the case or screen protector that you have on the phone that is interfering with the proximity detector. That should be easy to check; just remove them.

Apr 29, 2017 4:18 PM in response to lyndafrompacifica

I have the same problem where my screen will go black during calls sometimes. The home button does nothing but the power button ends the call. Apparently the power button normally ends a call but on my phone (iPhone 6+ on iOS 8.1.1 and "That Which Cannot Be Named") the power button normally doesn't end the call.

I did find a work around. If I plug or unplug the charging cable, the screen comes back.

So I took it to the Apple Stoer and they proved to me that the problem is a bad proximity sensor. They proved this by opening the Voice Memos app. When you press record, then cover the proximity sensor, the screen should go black. My p

hone doesn't go black.

They said they would have to replace the proximity sensor, screen and home button to fix it. They also said they would upgrade the iOS to the current version which would of course un"That Which Cannot Be Named" the phone. I didn't even ask how much they would charge me since I love my "That Which Cannot Be Named" too much to lose it for petty nonsense like this.

May 16, 2017 11:23 PM in response to lyndafrompacifica

I have an iphone 5s for less than 3 months and I have the following problem(s):

When I receive an incoming call, sometimes and randomly, the screen remains black.

In the begining, it was while I had the phone inside my pocket, and I thought it was a problem with the sensor.

But, some days ago, that happened while I had my phone on the desk, with plenty of light in the room.

Also, I believed it was a software problem, either from any app, or, the iOS itself.

I did 2-4 times software reset on my phone either from the iphone, or from iTunes.

Still the same problem.

The phone had another problem from its first days in life with me.

When I press the "Home" button, the screen comes up, but, with only the background picture and only that.

2 days ago, the screen came up with a new issue.

Some friend called me. The screen was bright and on, the buttons were in place, but the screen, inaccessible (the touch had gone off).

Because I am tired of all this, and because I come from various Android phones with no such issues, yesterday I sent my iphone for technical service and I am waiting for their response.

I do care for only one thing. The problem to be solved.

Some people say that it is maybe from an app or not.

Honestly, I DO NOT CARE.

I bought a smartphone and I want my job to be done as it should be done.

Jul 30, 2017 7:14 AM in response to lyndafrompacifica

I had the same problem, and went in to a phone repair place to see what they might say. They of course told me I needed a new proximity sensor, and suggested I buy it on Amazon ($10) and they could replace for $25 (rather than $80 if I get the part from them). When I asked how sure they were that was the problem- they offered to test the part for me. Basically that consisted of unplugging and plugging the sensor back in- and guess what? It started working fine once they plugged it back in! Hope this helps someone out there!

Nov 28, 2017 11:19 AM in response to lyndafrompacifica

Yes exactly the same thing happened with me, I have the new iPhone X, and wanted to protect my £1,149.00 phone so bought a case that totally enclosed it, making it water resistant as well as a screen protector. When I would make a call, the display went blank and there was no way to end the call or get the screen back unless the other person ended the call or you closed the phone down. HOWEVER! if I was to make the same call with the case off, so the phone was bare, it behaved itself. What I have found out with my phone is, if there is anything in front of the proximity sensor, even if transparent bit of plastic, the display would turn off. SO it looks like you can not have this phone in a case that protects it. Wonder if this is a ploy by apple to have a new industry in replacement glass phone cases.

Dec 25, 2017 9:06 AM in response to jogiparam

Hi there,

I had the same issue with my wife's iPhone X, her iphone X suddenly goes black. She mentioned that her phone hang a few times previously but never this bad. We can hear sms and we can even hear the snap sound when we do a screen shot but the screen is just not responding and stays black. Just to be clear, she had never dropped her phone and the phone X is only 3 weeks old. I chat with Apple support and they were very helpful. They tought me to this; press and release vol up button > press and release vol down button > press and hold SIDE BUTTON FOR 25 SECONDS until you see Apple Logo appears on the screen. It worked to wake the phone up. This should do the trick. Hope it helps on your case.

Just to sharee with you, unfortunately my wife's case is a little severe, after that (with apple support team online) we tried to sync the phone to itunes to save all the data before anything weird happens again. But itunes prompted a message that it can not be updated due to "unknown error occurred (9)". According to Apple this code refers to hardware issue and we may have to restore the phone which we first need to bring to local (Singapore) Apple Store to do that. Just hope we can salvage all the data and photos at least.

Aug 1, 2011 1:16 AM in response to lyndafrompacifica

The screen is supposed to go black when held against the face on a call, to stop buttons getting pressed. If it is not coming back quickly when you move it away, it may be that the phone needs a reset or a restore. Some phone cases interfere with the proximity sensor, so if you are using a case, remove and see if it still happens. It could also be a hardware fault, which would mean getting in touch with Apple.

Iphone screen goes black during calls. . .

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.