Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Image Capture not recognizing iPhone

Am using 10.6.8. iPhoto IS recognising it, but I prefer ImageCapture, and also I need to download some videos. (iPhoto reduces these to a single image.) So if anyone can help me, I'd be very grateful.

Image Capture-OTHER, Mac OS X (10.6.8)

Posted on Sep 4, 2011 3:41 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 4, 2011 6:27 AM

In iPhoto>Preferences>General>Connecting camera opens...

33 replies

Oct 20, 2011 6:11 PM in response to onemelbguy

I was having trouble getting my iPhone recognized in Image Capture, and this solved the problem:

1) Go into iPhoto and set Preferences to have iPhoto open when the iPhone is connected.

2) Connect the iPhone, and verify that iPhoto opens and sees it.

3) Disconnect the iPhone, then change the iPhoto preferences so Image Capture is started when iPhone is connected.

4) Quit iPhoto, then connect the iPhone to the Mac.

When I followed these steps, my iPhone was available again in Image Capture.

Hope this helps.

Dec 16, 2011 2:49 PM in response to onemelbguy

Inspried by this thread, I opened iPhoto and selected the option to open Image Capture when the iPhone was connected. I also selected that option for the iPhone in Image Capture itself (can only do once it's recognized the iPhone).

Prior to doing that, I sometimes saw the iPhone in Image Capture and sometimes did not. Sometimes, rebooting/resetting the iPhone would cause it to show up. Quite flakey.

I haven't tested too much yet, but initial results are positive (i.e. iPhone shows up in Image Capture).

Note that I am on Lion OS and have iPhoto 8.1.2 (i.e. older one) installed.

BTW, I don't really like the sync options for the iPhone in iTunes when not using iPhoto / iClooud.

May 10, 2014 6:03 PM in response to onemelbguy

I don't have iPhoto and rely on using Image Capture. I found this thread after researching the same problem. Someone mentioned it may be a Bluetooth issue. I unplugged my phone from the computer, went to my settings and turned off Bluetooth, plugged the phone back in and then Image Capture recognized it. Hope it works for you too.

Jul 26, 2014 2:19 AM in response to poemind

I may be mad, and a complete technophobe, and had the same problem with image capture not recognising my iphone. In my search for an answer I found a blog, which suggested I use 'Preview' instead. I activated 'Preview', but although the icon appeared in my toolbar, no window opened. I decided it was probably because I hadn't plugged my iphone in. So I did..... Image capture appeared with my iphone in the left hand window!

Question: Do 'Preview' and 'Image Capture' work together, and in order for 'Image Capture' to work 'Preview' has to be open?

As I say, I know nothing, but it's worth a try. Seemed to work for me.

cfromcrowton

Image Capture not recognizing iPhone

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.