Previous 1 2 3 4 Next 51 Replies Latest reply: Jun 30, 2012 4:04 AM by Tom Gewecke
gs-nc Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)

I watched the iPhone presentation yesterday 10/4 and iCloud intigration was only mentioned with Lion. Back on August 29th there were a lot of rumors that iCloud would also be supported in Snow Leopard. Does anyone know if iCloud be available in/on/for Snow Leopard?

MacBook Air, Mac OS X (10.7.1), Macbook Pro, Mac Mini and others
  • Roger Wilmut1 Level 9 Level 9 (69,220 points)

Nothing has been officially announced yet. There have been unofficial suggestions that it will be, though presumably not for PhotoStream and other new facilities.

• UK-Max Level 2 Level 2 (285 points)

gs-nc wrote:

I watched the iPhone presentation yesterday 10/4 and iCloud intigration was only mentioned with Lion. Back on August 29th there were a lot of rumors that iCloud would also be supported in Snow Leopard. Does anyone know if iCloud be available in/on/for Snow Leopard?

The US site (apple.com) does say iCloud needs Lion.

It's true to say it doesn't specifically rule out Snow Leopard, but the way it's worded 'all new Macs ship with Lion, so they're ready for iCloud right out of the box' is pretty clear.

In any event the existing MobileMe facilities will continue until next June, so there are eight months to sort it all out.

• sllorca Level 1 Level 1 (5 points)

The iCloud site, at the bottom, specifically states a Mac running OSX Lion or a PC running Vista or Windows 7 only.  I find it strange Apple would give Microsoft users acces and not allow OSX Snow Leopard users access.  I guess we'll have to wait and see.

• Sjazbec Level 4 Level 4 (1,670 points)

sllorca wrote:

I find it strange Apple would give Microsoft users acces and not allow OSX Snow Leopard users access.  I guess we'll have to wait and see.

Vista and win7 are technically identic products. Snow and Lion are not.

And to clarify once and for all what is needed for iCloud, this is the info for Apple Stores

OSX 10.7.2 with iTunes 10.5  minimum System requirement. Et voila , click for bigger :

screen-shot-2011-10-10-at-9-43-52-pm.png

It's quite certain that PhotoStream, Documents in the Cloud, and other new facilities will be Lion-dependent. However since email and Calendar syncing are currently industry standard - IMAP and CalDAV respectively - it would seem likely that these will still work, though it may be necessary to change settings.

• Q-Lite Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)

Hard to believe that Apple would support iCloud on Vista/Win7 (nearly a 5 year old competitors operating system) and not provide support for Snow Leopard  ;~(

• pjonesCET Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)

Well there is always DropBox and SugarSync. While depending upon the amount of info you want to store on them. You ca do the same thing.  You can always tell apple since We have DropBox and Sugar Sync "kiss my grits." with Dropbox with each device you connect they add an additional .5 GB and each friend you invite gets you an additional two GB. I think SugarSync has a similar deal. Then you can always add for fee additional space.

If a enough people do it maybe the powers that be might say hey we better add support for snow leopard.

• mac2112 Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)

i just tried to migrate from MM to icloud, and it specifically says you need a computer running Lion. I don't have that, so I didn't and couldn't proceed

• sllorca Level 1 Level 1 (5 points)

Anyone who has used Vista and Windows 7 knows they are not identical products!!!  Vista is probably one of the worst OS's ever produced.  Windows 7 is actually very good.  They may look the same - but they are NOT the same!!

This is not a question of whether or not Snow Leopard can do it, this is Apple wanting everyone to move to Lion.  I am not willing to move to Lion.  I find Snow Leopard to be a great running OS.  I've gone to the Apple Store to play with Lion and find the machines, which are newer than mine, run slower and the graphics shudder.  The stories on the internet are not helping with my confidence in Lion either.

mac2112 wrote:

i just tried to migrate from MM to icloud, and it specifically says you need a computer running Lion. I don't have that, so I didn't and couldn't proceed

Yes, the gist of several of Apple's documents is that though you would be able to access iCloud email using the Mail application on a pre-Lion Mac, and you would be able to access Mail, Calendars and Contacts on the web site (assuming your browser is up to date) you need Lion to create or migrate to iCloud in the first place.

• Mark Cohen2 Level 1 Level 1 (5 points)

What crap--I have a Core Duo MacBook (early 2006) that can't update to Lion (need Core 2 Duo) but is okay running iPhoto 9.2. Why can't Photostream be supported? Or some of the other iCloud features such as calendar synching?

Apple really screwed up on this issue--nothing talked about these features being Lion only. If you go onto Apple's site, there's still no mention of lack of support for Snow Leopard; internal store documents-only demonstrates a lack of openness with customers. And this extends to the need for a control panel for iCloud, which is also missing.

Crazy that Apple won't support it's own 2-year-old OS with iCloud but will support the 5-year-old Windows Vista.

There was talk in August of a 10.6.9 release supporting iCloud, but nothing's been mentioned recently.

• Luc S Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)

i have a mac book pro running snow leopard and i don't want lion because i think that it isn't that good.

i' m also have hope that there will be suport for snow leopard.

Previous 1 2 3 4 Next