Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Trackpad multi-gesture doesn't work while mouse is clicked

I used to drag and drop files from desktop to finder using my magic mouse while desktop is shown with four-finger spreading on trackpad.

<As in showing desktop with 4-finger spreading, clicking a file on destop, 4-finger pinching to go back to finder, and dropping the file on finder>

After the recent update to 10.7.2, it doens't work. With mouse-click on a file on desktop, the entire trackpad-gestures don't work at all (no space movement, no mission control, & no desktop showing as well).

I thought BTT might be a culprit but there was no luck when I tried it again after disabling BTT.

I can't find any option to enable this multigesture with mouse-click on system preference.

Is this a glitch of 10.7.2 or am I missing something?

I'm using MBP mid-2009 and all softwares are up to date together with my iOS devices.

MacBook Pro, Mac OS X (10.7.2), Hooked up with other iOS devices

Posted on Oct 17, 2011 7:10 PM

27 replies

Oct 18, 2011 8:18 AM in response to ju hyoung

In your original post you talk about showing the ONE desktop with four finger spread. Now you're talking about draggin a file to an application in a new space. Which is it?

Four finger reveal desktop works for me. I have my files spring loaded so all I need to do is drag it onto the finder icon in the dock, and wait. The finder window pops in and I can place it wherever I wanted.

Spring loaded folder time to hold is in finder preferences.

Now to address the post you link to.

if you see in the post that you give, you will need to drag your content on the second space you are trying to use. When they say desktops, they are referring to SPACES, not your main desktop.

as in these:

User uploaded file

Oct 18, 2011 8:55 AM in response to TheSmokeMonster

Thank you again. What I wanted to say in my original post is

I used to be able to

[1] show desktop (using 4-finger spread on trackpad),

[2] hold a content on a Desktop (using a mouse)

[3] go back to application windows (by 4-finger pinching on trackpad)

[4] and drop the content on an application on the top (in this case I deleberately put a desired app on the top before starting [1]).

After 10.7.2 update, [1] thru [2] are working well, but [3] is not.

Well, as you recommended, I can just directly go from [2] to [4] by dragging a content onto an app icon on Dock, and wait until its windows are spring-loaded, and choose a right window among exposè'ed ones, and drop it.

But this process used to be much simpler with the 4 steps above before 10.7.2.

The reason that I added a new link above is the issues seem to be all related. When you click and hold any content using your mouse on a finder window for example, you cannot either switch spaces, show mission control, nor show desktop using trackpad gestures, which used to work flawlessly until 10.7.1.

Oct 18, 2011 9:15 AM in response to TheSmokeMonster

Does this mean on step three you have five fingers down?? how do you even do that comfortably? try this, take the file you are trying to put into finder, or whichever app, from step 2 and then drag it on the icon of the app you are trying to put it in (on the dock). The application's window will appear and you will be able to do what you want. this will only happen if you have things spring loaded (in finder preferences)

your other method, though fast, might have been something BTT allowed in the past, or maybe even Lion did, but this is not the way to do what you are trying to do. However if you want to send feedback to apple about this, do so, someone there might hear you loud and clear, but again, I don't think this was ever the way to do this.

http://www.apple.com/feedback/macosx.html

Oct 18, 2011 9:47 AM in response to TheSmokeMonster

Yeah I may have to put this on the feedback list. Thank you anyway.

Just so you know, I am using lion with default trackpad gestures (BTT has nth to do with this. I'm doing this with BTT disabled.). If you are using Lion with default gestures (all options are checked on System preferences - Trackpad, except Three finger drag), you will see all the windows move out of desktop with 4-finger spreading, and they move back in with 4-finger pinching in. 4-finger gestures are not as hard as they sound. Three fingers (no little one) go up while ur thumb goes right if you use your left hand. Pinching-in is just the other way around. The position of your thumb is key.

4-finger pinching-in shows Launchpad in a normal case.

And of course i've never used 5 fingers on trackpad.

Oct 18, 2011 11:27 AM in response to TheSmokeMonster

Yes, I do the same, I have a mouse and also use the magic trackpad to switch between spaces etc. Just because you do things differently because you don't have a mouse doesn't mean this is wrong or "unsupported". This used to work fine before 10.7.2, when Apple tried to fix dragging files to full-screen apps and broke this.

It's also natural, you pinch out to hide the windows, find the file on your desktop using the mouse, click it, and pinch the trackpad again to bring the windows back and drop your file. Simples.

Only now it's not working.

Oct 18, 2011 12:39 PM in response to Bubble_Dizzy

how is that easier then having a finder window open? I don't get that. instead of constant pinching and clicking you just have finder open to your desktop and click and drag your files to the app you want and you can do it multiple times without having to change the view/going to your desktop.

the only thing you can do is hope they write in what you want it to do after sending in feedback.

Or learn how to use finder to your benefit.

Oct 18, 2011 12:50 PM in response to TheSmokeMonster

ok, a little update. I brushed off the dust of my magic mouse and tried a few things. I can see what you're saying how gestures on the trackpad are stopped while holding down the icon with the mouse (something I didn't know you were using until recently). however, if you have BTT, which you do, then turn on the gestures for application switcher. These seem to still work and will get you to the application you're trying to go to. maybe you can turn off the native method and turn it on on BTT (for me, exposé, which is what we're talking about. will bring your windows back after gesturing them away to see the desktop. BTT might force the action, even if you are clicking an item with the mouse. But who knows. you'll have to try that out.

But again there are a number of native ways to do what you want to do (drag a file from the desktop to an app/or folder) that you are just not exploring and which are faster in the long run of things.

Oct 18, 2011 1:48 PM in response to TheSmokeMonster

Ok the drag file to dock icon approach doesn't work.

Just as a test, have an image file on your desktop ready. Go to a site that has a file input. Go to this one - http://www.spritecow.com. Click Open Image. Maximize the browser window so that you can't see your desktop and your file. Click on List View because dragging files doesn't work in icon view, another thing which Apple messed up in Lion (used to work in Snow Leopard).

Now pinch the trackpad to go to the desktop. Drag the file onto your browser's icon in the dock.

Did it work? It doesn't for me.

And the open a new Finder window, click on Desktop each time I want a file seems longer for me than my current workflow.

Oct 18, 2011 2:08 PM in response to Bubble_Dizzy

most sites that let you upload an image to it have an interface to do so without having to drag the things onto it. The only site I know that supports this is google mail. Sprite Cow doesn't like Safari, however I did try.

if you have a finder open in front of your browser open to desktop, you'll be able to drag those items from the window, in icon view or list view to your browser. If I do it here it just pastes the file destination of the image, most likely because that's not how you post pictures on here.

If you are unable to drag items into finder in icon view, then there is something wrong with your installation of lion, which is a whole different issue.

Apple Stores offer classes for using your computer. your method is very convoluted to what you are actually trying to do.

If dragging files to the dock doesn't work then you haven't spring loaded your folders in Finder Preferences which I stated earlier, needs to be on for this to work. you can set the immediacy in which it does it.

Go to Finder>preferences, when on finder. there you should see this, and you should toggle the option for spring loaded folders to be on and set the amount of time it waits to initiate the action. For you I'd assume you would want an instant change.

User uploaded file

Trackpad multi-gesture doesn't work while mouse is clicked

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.