Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

problem after iOS5 with pairing iPhone with Car

I have a Lexus is250 which paired beautifully with my iPhone and I was able to play music from phone in my car. Since the upgrade, I cannot. I have "repaired" "Blue tooth audio", the radio in car "looks" like it is playing (you can use the controls on the car stereo to forward through playlist and it forwards on phone" but no sound comes out. This worked perfectly fine before iOS. Any ideas? I've deleted and re-paired phone twice....

iPhone 4, iOS 5

Posted on Oct 17, 2011 7:42 PM

58 replies

Oct 18, 2011 3:59 AM in response to yongdon

Streaming music via bluetooth is not working after the ios5 update for me either. I have a 2011 Lexus CT 200h with navi and the phone is 4G. The car and the phone seem to communicate with each other, but music wont play. Before the upgrade Spotify for example, worked beautifully. Also with incoming calls, now I only see the callers number, not the name associated with the number in my contacts.

I hope this will be fixed really soon.

Oct 18, 2011 3:59 PM in response to lisafrommanteca

Slightly different, but similar problem: also have a Lexus ct200h before IOS5 bluetooth worked great, though the tracks would not display. After IOS5, tracks display, but bluetooth will only connect once per power cycle. If I play bluetooth audio, then switch to SAT, FM, or whatever and then back to bluetooth, the connection is lost.

I've re-paired the phone twice and changed the bluetooth setting from "vehicle" connection to "device" connection to no avail. It will only connect once for each time I power up the car.

Seems like an IOS5 issues since my previous iPhone worked fine, but also started having these issues once I upgraded it to IOS5... the 4s seems to work fine otherwise, but has the same issue...

If only Siri could help me... I'm on the phone with an Apple tech who doesn't know what bluetooth is... I'm not making that up either. I had to explain to him that I wasn't connecting and disconnecting a wire.

Oct 18, 2011 11:11 PM in response to noahfromchelsea

After sending an e-mail to my dealer, I received a call from them. They said that according to their test, the system worked fine with the cars they had in their shop. Only difference was that they had the latest version of the map, which is 12/2011.

So I'm taking my car to the shop today, and if the service can't get it to work with the older version of the navi, I'm updating it.

Will let you know how it went if you are interested.

Oct 19, 2011 7:45 AM in response to Jacksek

The same thing happened to a lot of in car systems when iOS 4 came out. I know Chrysler had updates available at no charge for all of their touchscreen systems within about a month to fix the problem.

Apple adheres to the standard for the Hands Free Protocol in their bluetooth stack. The problem was in the audio systems in the cars, not the phone.

Oct 19, 2011 10:55 AM in response to lisafrommanteca

iOS 5 supports Bluetooth 4.0. BT 4.0 is backward compatible and should be able to pair and communicate with any equipment supporting older standards of the protocol. It's possible that the system was using a draft specification for whatever version of the protocol they implemented. This isn't unique to bluetooth. Witness the hoo-hah surrounding the WiFi 802.11n draft products that were released many months before the standard was finalized so they could get a jump on the market. Most of them could be updated to the final version, some could not. If they used a draft specification and something changed in the final release, the in-car system may not be handling it correctly.

Oct 22, 2011 1:38 PM in response to lisafrommanteca

Same problem here with a 2011 Subaru Outback/Harman Kardon sound system. My iPhone 3GS used to work very well and auto-connect with the Harman Kardon system under iOS 4, but after upgrading to iOS 5 the iPhone looses connectivity each time I power the iPhone off and back on. It will keep connectivity as long as I do not do this. Turning the car off and back on works fine, connectivity re-establishes immediately. I even reset my iPhone and re-installed firmware and everything else - problem persists. SHAME ON APPLE FOR LOOSING CORE FUNCTIONALITY IN FAVOR OF BRINGING IN LOTS OF GIMMICS THAT ARE OF LITTLE OR NO USE IN EVERYDAY LIFE. SHAME ON APPLE ALSO FOR NOT PROPERLY BETA-TESTING THEIR SOFTWARE AND MAINTAINING BACKWARD-COMPATIBILITY IF THAT IS THE PROBLEM. We users should be entilted to monetary compensation from Apple whenever a software "upgrade" negatively affects a core functionality. Tim Cook, please correct some of the flawed corporate policies the belated Steve Jobs implemented. Apple still has a lot of room for improving! First of all, focus on optimizing core functionalities and their robustness before wasting time on changing icons or other cosmetic features.

Oct 28, 2011 7:09 PM in response to noahfromchelsea

I'm having a similar issue with my iPhone 4S and my CT 200h. The iPhone 4 worked fine with iOS 5; the new iPhone 4S seems to have issues:

- I have the "you can only listen to bluetooth once per power cycle problem"

- Worse, after using Siri to request music, it won't play

- Even worse, asking Siri to call someone makes the CT 200h hang up

I suspect it may be device related versus car related, but thought I'd throw in my ten cents here...

problem after iOS5 with pairing iPhone with Car

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.