Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPhone 4s Car Bluetooth Audio Source Issues

I see that a lot of people are having issues pairing their new phones with Bluetooth devices. I have discovered a problem that I haven’t seen discussed anywhere yet.

I have the iPhone 4s and a 2011 GMC Sierra.

No issue with pairing the 4s with the truck.

Bluetooth works fine with Siri and outgoing calls.

When I receive an incoming call it comes across the truck’s speakers and I am able to answer. The problem is that after about 5 seconds of talk time the phone switches to the “phone” audio source and the radio comes back on. The call is not dropped and if I manually select the “Bluetooth” audio source the call jumps back to the truck’s Bluetooth system and I can finish the call with no problems.

Not a massive issue, but it is pretty annoying. Anybody else experience this? Tips or Fixes?

iPhone 4s-OTHER, iOS 5

Posted on Oct 21, 2011 8:34 PM

75 replies

Oct 30, 2011 8:01 PM in response to praltav

I am not having any problems with bluetooth disconnecting on me. Calls are connecting and staying connected like they should. I'm using the iPhone 4S with IOS 5 on AT&T in a 2011 Suburban Z71 w/ Navigation and rear entertainment (DVD). Maybe the issue is a bad bluetooth in your phone or truck. Can you try with someone else's phone? If their phone works then maybe your iPhone bluetooth is broken. If their phone doesn't work then maybe it's your truck's bluetooth that's the problem. Or maybe there's an incompatibility issue. Sorry I can't be more help.

Nov 4, 2011 5:42 AM in response to hawks2002

I am having the same issue exactly. 2010 Nissan Titan Pro4-X. Outgoing calls are fine, incoming connect for a few seconds then audio source reverts to phone. Call does not drop. Does this the same way with one of my employees new iPhone 4s as well, so not a phone issue. Bluetooth in truck worked fine with previous Android phone too, so I am at a loss.

Nov 4, 2011 6:41 PM in response to hawks2002

Same problem in a 2009 Jetta. Call rings through bluetooth. When I answer it, it automatically swithces back to iphone. There's a delay before I'm able to switch it back to the bluetooth. No problem when making outgoing calls.

It's not only annoying, but also dangerous while driving. Called Applecare and the operator I spoke to said he's having the same problem and at this point, there's nothing that can be done. He said maybe I can call VW and ask about a firmware upgrade. But that wasn't really the simple fix I was looking for.

Nov 5, 2011 7:40 PM in response to hawks2002

My 3GS (AT&T) worked flawlessly with my 2011 GMC Sierra. My 4S (Verizon) started having Bluetooth issues almost immediately. I first noticed a problem when I tried dialing from the truck's handfree feature. It would recognize the command, then the number would flash on the instrument panel like it usually did then it would disappear. The phone was still calling but I couldn't get it to function through the truck's Bluetooth or through the phone and had to hang up. The phone seemed to lock up. I could call out and I could could hear people talking on the other end but they couldn't hear me. Power cycling the phone corrects the problem sometimes, but not consistently. Could it be a problem with Bluetooth 4.0??

Nov 7, 2011 8:04 AM in response to dcmondo

I went to the local Apple store and discussed this on Saturday. The answer that I received was absurd, and similar to yours: "Check with VW for a firmware update." I pointed out that it was a new (2011 model year) car. The Apple representative replied that the car was probably built last year and didn't comply with the latest Bluetooth specification. So I went to the VW dealer and they didn't know anything about Bluetooth firmware patches.

My iPhone 3GS worked beautifully and flawlessly with this car. It isn't practical to replace my car or upgrade the firmware on all of my Bluetooth devices every time Apple updates iOS.

As far as I am concerned, this is another "death grip" issue for which Apple needs to take responsibility, step up and fix it promptly and properly. New releases of the iPhone and iOS need to be backwards compatible with older Bluetooth devices.

Nov 10, 2011 4:08 AM in response to hawks2002

I have a 2009 VW with a bluetooth kit, and an iPhone 4S. The VW bluetooth kit firmware and software are on the latest version (upgraded 2 months ago by a VW technician). I previously had an iPhone 3GS which worked fine with the VW bluetooth kit, both before and after it was upgraded to iOS5.

As soon as I got the iPhone 4S it paired ok, synced the phone book ok as well, it also made outgoing calls ok but would not work for incoming calls. When an incoming call came in the phone would automatically switch the audio source back to the phone, and then wouldn't let you switch it back to the bluetooth kit. It also reset the volume on the ringer to zero, and stopped the bluetooth kit from letting you control the phone via the car controls on the steering wheel or touch screen. Very strange. The only remedy was to switch off the phone's bluetooth, switch it back on again and then get the car to reconnect to the phone. But if you did that, as soon as another incoming call came in you have the same problems all over again.

I have tried power cycling the phone (several times), this was my first thought. It didn't work.

I have tried restoring the phone, both with my data and settings and without them using a clean restore. That didn't work either, so I restored it again with my data and settings.

I have noticed a number of reports of similar problems to this with both VW and Parrot bluetooth kits reported on some other discussion forums.

I have found the solution now though. Switch off Siri in 'Settings -> General'. Then it all works fine! Not ideal but a lot less annoying than incoming calls not working at all. I will fill in a feedback form to inform apple of this 'feature'.

Nov 16, 2011 1:20 PM in response to hawks2002

I have a 2007 Toyota Tundra w/ Bluetooth and Navigation and am having no problems with the Bluetooth using the phone. My issue comes up when plugging in the 3.5mm audio jack. There is no way to tell Siri to continue using the BT connection, the only way I have been able to get it to go back to the BT connection from the Headphones connection is to make a call, which defaults to the BT, not the 3.5mm connection. After that, Siri stays on the BT audio source. Is there a way to designate which audio source Siri uses?

Nov 20, 2011 6:19 PM in response to hawks2002

I have an iPhone 4 and a 2010 Lexus.

Everything worked fine until a little while ago. Now I cannot connect both the phone and the bluetooth audio.

If I get a phone call, the audio is disconnected. If I try to reconnect the phone I get a message that "another bluetooth device is connected" and have to disconnect to connect the phone.

In other words - I have a choice of having a bluetooth phone or bluetooth music. Can no longer have both.

Is this a Lexus firmware problem or an Apple problem?

iPhone 4s Car Bluetooth Audio Source Issues

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.