Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

My apple tv won't recognize my apple id

Everytime I try to sign to my iTunes store on my Apple tv it tells me that my apple id or password is incorrect. This is the only apple id I have ever had. I did change my passwor on October 13 after multiple probles with my mobile-me to iCloud transition. I have had my apple tv for over 6 months, so I tried both my previous Apple id password (as well as the new one) but it does not accept either of them and even though I have homesharing "On" it doesn't do me any good.

Also, it will not do the software update to 3.4, it tells me my software is up to date. I reset apple tv yesterday and started from scratch to no avail. No problems with my iMac, Macbook Pro, iPad2 or my iPhone, only with Apple TV. HELP!

Posted on Oct 22, 2011 5:44 PM

118 replies

Jun 1, 2017 4:46 AM in response to rburd

Hi. If you're having trouble logging in on Apple TV 2 or 3 using 2-factor authentication, try the method in this link: Re: appleTV keeps asking for appleID, password and authentication code circularly. Enter your Apple ID and password, but do not send it. Use Settings on your phone to get a code, and add the code right onto the password, with no space or punctuation.

Apr 28, 2017 2:56 PM in response to m.ike

This is the answer for gen 2 ATV. I suspected this and then tried. Worked perfectly.

1. Open any web browser on any computer and go to appleid.apple.com.
  2. Log in to the Apple ID you want to disable two factor authentication for, you may need to use two factor auth to gain access to the account.
  3. Go to the “Security” section of account settings and choose “Edit”.

Turn off 2 factor authentication. Has a few steps but this fixes it.

Jan 5, 2017 3:59 PM in response to nanyes24

Have you ever reset your Apple ID perhaps because you have forgotten it or other reason? This is fine we all do it...BUT...have you made a purchase or clicked a free one with this reset Apple ID ???A big question!

You need to go into iTunes on the device you have pc, pod or phone etc and download a free app or make a purchase with this new reset Apple ID. It will say you haven't ever bought anything using this new Apple ID REVIEW YOUR ACCOUNT . Make sure the automatic boxes are filled for them to see your are really the person- continue - hey presto you are ready to start shopping!! Don't shop (this time!!) Go to wherever your Apple TV box is connected - upstairs or downstairs wherever - sign in with the Apple ID you are using - hey presto. Please don't think of complicated stuff and routers until you have tried this. It can be minefield and send you up the wall.

Jan 13, 2017 6:07 AM in response to nanyes24

Last nite we had company over to watch a movie that I attempted to rent for $5.99 from iTunes using my Apple TV. It would not accept my password for my Apple ID. After several embarrassing attempts in front of a roomful of people, I went to Amazon Prime and rented the same movie for $3.99. You guys had better figure this out as more people will do what I did.

Oct 19, 2017 8:45 AM in response to nanyes24

My Solution for being barred from iTunes.

1. I used the RESET Apple TV Option (not Restore although I am sure that would work fine).

2. Once it had reset I followed the instructions and I used my iphone, i.e I touched the Apple TV with the phone when asked to.

3. This allowed me to enter my ID and PW via the phone which is less tedious than the remote

4. After a step or two I went to Movies Purchases and had to re-enter my ID and PW (with remote) but this time the 6 Digit Code worked and I was into iTunes.

I had to check a few minor settings but its now fine

I hope this helps.

Feb 1, 2018 5:58 PM in response to nanyes24

I was running into the same issue. Then I realized I was using two-factor authentication with my apple ID, which, after entering my apple ID password on my apple TV, my other devices provided a 6 numeric character code that I needed to enter. There wasn't any place on my apple TV to enter this code. So, I logged into appleid.apple.com, turned off two-factor authentication and am now able to start up Home Sharing on my apple TV. Just be sure to turn two-factor authentication back on if you want the extra security.

Oct 22, 2011 6:34 PM in response to Winston Churchill

No I have not purchased anything from the iTunes Store from my apple tv. My new password has numbers and letters and one Capital letter. The problem is also that even though under "Computers" it shows my iTunes library, when I try to play music, it says there is no content to my library and as I mentioned before, I have homesharing on all my devices and no problems with any of them except Apple TV.

Thank you so much for helping me. I really don't know what to do. I was thinking of resetting it again to factory settings and start from scratch. By the way the store location shows correctly United States and on time zone my correct city.

Again, thanks for assisting me. Any ideas, should I reset to factory settings.

My apple tv won't recognize my apple id

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.