Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

FaceTime sound stops working while talking

Hello, This is either a driver or Facetime software issue. I have a 2011 15" MacBook Pro running latest snow leopard and it consistenly cuts off microphone a few minutes into the conversation. So we talk fine, and then a few minutes later I no longer send sound to the other person. Image is fine and I still get their audio. This is regardless of the other person's device. It could be an iPhone 4s, or another MacBook Pro. Haven't tested the iPad - I don't have one.

Also, other bugs with facetime are:

- when you call someone they don't get notified of an incoming FaceTime call (tested on multiple wifi networks, all with uPnP and QOS)

- when someone calls you, it only rings for a split second and then stops before you get to answer. The other party has called you for the past minute or so before it flashed on your screen.

- on a MacBook Pro, the microphone has noise cancelling features which ruin the conversation on a random basis. Words get chopped out. If you turn off noise cancelling it does not chop words up as much, but as soon as the person is a little farther away from the mic it no longer sends audio. As if noise cancelling stays on regardless. This does not happen on a 13" 2011 MacBook Pro with or without noise cancelling on.

- Once the sound goes off on a MacBook Pro, you have to kill FaceTime and restart it go get the sound work again.

Should I just forward this as feedback to Apple? I know the usual ... fix permissions, reinstall software, trash preferences, backup and reinstall OS... So if anyone knows what's going on outside of the alredy stated obvious fixes, please let me know.

Thanks

Posted on Nov 4, 2011 8:11 PM

78 replies

Nov 11, 2011 11:38 AM in response to TiGPS

I have a friend that has an iPhone 4 running the latest os and I run facetime on my intell iMac first edition snow

leapard. He thinks his phone is screwing up as into our facetime he will stop getting sound from me.

Out of desperation a few days ago I shut facetime on my imac off then restarted it. I had to sign in again and

then quit again and restart facetime to be able to call.

His sound now works.

But since he has other speaker issues with the phone he believes his phone is the problem and not me.

I guess the only thing to do is to facetime others to see if the sound quits with them too?

P.S early on when this problem first arose I would quit facetime and go to my ipad and facetime from it.

The sound would work.

Nov 21, 2011 9:50 PM in response to TiGPS

TiGPS,

Did you ever find a solution to this problem?? My MacBook Pro 13" new in May 2011 does the exact same thing!! It happens when I talk to users of the iPad and also the iPhone 4. I have not contacted Apple regarding the issue yet but I think that it is getting to that time. As far as the notifications are concerned on incoming calls from me to them, I have that problem as well. I have had to let it ring for well over 3 minutes before it registers on their end as as a call and rings through! The noise canceling causes problems hearing the other person even I am breathing to loud!! I am so frustrated that this application is defective!! What have you tried?? Any advice thus far concerning this matter??

Nov 22, 2011 6:45 AM in response to HawaiiMacBri

apparently not. I was facing my friend again last evening (I have only 3 people I Facetimed with) when he told

me it's happening again. I requested another friend of mine use his laptop and Facetime me as an experiment when he gets a chance.

So far I have this problem with my friend on his iPhone and his wife on her iPad. They are both using the same

network in their house and it's through a glass fiber network on Verizon. So my experiment will be with another individual at a different location. I know it doesn't make any sense to do it since my iPad to this couple's house

seems to work fine but I can't explain how it is that they can't hear me yet my mike is working on my iMac just

fine.

Dec 7, 2011 6:48 PM in response to TiGPS

Just googled this--it just happened to me as well. I'm on a MacBook Pro w/ Snow Leopard and my FaceTime buddy was on a brand new iPad. The first couple of times I Facetimed (just downloaded it on Thanksgiving) it worked fine. This past time it just all of a sudden cut off--I thought it was because I was opening a link/typing while using it, but I tried hanging up/calling back since then and still have the same problem--wonder if there's any way to fix this?!

Dec 21, 2011 9:53 PM in response to TiGPS

Ok, mine seems to be (at least temporarily) fixed by simply turning down my computer's volume. I saw on another website that sometimes the Macs are reading the other person's voice (coming through your speakers and then into your mic) as your voice, which messes up the audio on your end. So when I tried again with a lower volume I had no issues. Super simple, and might not work for everyone--but just thought I would share!

Dec 22, 2011 8:15 AM in response to JenStinn

I've never heard about a feedback issue with any other application. I can see it causing noise or echo or something distracting but to actually stop the sound from my mike from working yet not affecting the mic in any

other application is kind of strange.

One time when my mic quit I quit Facetime and then restarted it and called my friends wife on her iPad and my

sound was still out.

So if what your saying "simply turning down my computer's volume" is something you did without quitting and it fixed the problem I can tell you it's going to take more than that on my computer.

FaceTime sound stops working while talking

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.