Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

itunes error 2

Hi all, I tried to update itunes to 10.5 but the program givs an error 2 when I try to run it. I have had all sort of problems rying to update itunes so I can update the OS on an ipad. Any suggestions on how to overcome error 2 please?

iPad 2, Windows 7, 32 bit

Posted on Nov 24, 2011 2:01 AM

44 replies

Oct 31, 2017 6:30 AM in response to nhamo114

For general advice see Troubleshooting issues with iTunes for Windows updates.

The steps in the second box are a guide to removing everything related to iTunes and then rebuilding it which is often a good starting point unless the symptoms indicate a more specific approach. Right-click on the setup file and run the installer as administrator. It may also help to pre-install the Microsoft Visual C++ 2005 Redistributable. In some cases you may also need to disable any non-Microsoft anti-virus software while installing.

Review the other boxes and the list of support documents further down the page in case one of them applies.

The further information area has direct links to the current and recent builds in case you have problems downloading, or want to revert to an older version if the current one won't work properly for you at the moment.

Your library and device backups should be unaffected by these steps but there are links to backup and recovery advice should it be needed.

tt2

Nov 24, 2011 2:07 AM in response to edwinfrombracken ridge

The 2 is usually related to Apple Application Support failing to install.

Let's try a standalone Apple Application Support install. It still might not install, but fingers crossed any error messages will give us a better idea of the underlying cause of the issue.

Download and save a copy of the iTunesSetup.exe installer file to your hard drive:

http://www.apple.com/itunes/download/

Download and install the free trial version of WinRAR:

http://www.rarlab.com/

Right-click the iTunesSetup.exe, and select "Extract to iTunesSetup". WinRAR will expand the contents of the file into a folder called "iTunesSetup".

Go into the folder and doubleclick the AppleApplicationSupport.msi to do a standalone AAS install.

Does it install properly for you? If so, does iTunes launch properly now?

If instead you get an error message during the install, let us know what it says. (Precise text, please.)

Nov 27, 2011 4:37 AM in response to b noir

Hi b noir, Could you please solve this error too? I recently changed from Vista to Windows 7, but now i am unable to install I tunes... 😟 please help. Thanks.

Problem signature:

Problem Event Name: APPCRASH

Application Name: iTunesSetup.exe

Application Version: 10.5.1.42

Application Timestamp: 4ebfa332

Fault Module Name: modemInst.dll

Fault Module Version: 0.0.0.0

Fault Module Timestamp: 49c4ba1b

Exception Code: c0000005

Exception Offset: 000013dd

OS Version: 6.1.7600.2.0.0.256.48

Locale ID: 16393

Additional Information 1: 0a9e

Additional Information 2: 0a9e372d3b4ad19135b953a78882e789

Additional Information 3: 0a9e

Additional Information 4: 0a9e372d3b4ad19135b953a78882e789

Nov 27, 2011 2:49 PM in response to @kki

Fault Module Name: modemInst.dll

Fault Module Version: 0.0.0.0

... That's a new one on me, @kki, but I did some googling and saw that a few other people have reported it here and there.

It's a driver file associated with some communications software of some description, but I'm not sure quite which communications software (or which device it is associated with).

Could you check something for me please? Do a file search on your PC for modemInst.dll. What's the full filepath for the location in which you find modemInst.dll?

(For example C:\Program Files\SomethingSomething\SomethingElse\modemInst.dll)

Nov 28, 2011 2:20 PM in response to @kki

🙂 excellent news!

The iTunes upgrade involves some work on the USB and communications setup for your PC (USB drivers and ethernet drivers in AMDS and some USB-related stuff with the iPod service), so over the years there's been driver related problems with installs on some systems with certain kinds of USB drivers and software installed. In the mid-2000s, there were intermittent troubles with some HP USB printers for example. So I think that's what we're looking at here.

Many thanks for rep[orting back with your resolution. There's a forum here for L6 and above members where we can report this sort of thing, so I'll write up a topic on this there today. So fingers crossed the right people at Apple will be looking at that, and we can get a better workaround or fix for this

Nov 28, 2011 5:28 PM in response to Firefly074

An error occurred during the installation of assembly 'policy.8.0.50727.6195",publicKeyToken="1fc8b3b9a1e3b",processorArchitecture="x 86" Please refer to Help and Support for more information. HRESULT:...

These ones are typically caused by underlying problems on the PC that also often cause Windows Updates to fail to install. If we can fix the Windows Update trouble, we can usually get the iTunes trouble cleaned up en passant.

Go into your Windows update and try to check for new updates. If updates install, stock up on the ones you're behind on, restarting the PC if requested to do so. After the restart, try installing iTunes again. Does it go through this time for you?

If windows updates fail to install, go into your Update History and doubleclick the failures. What alphanumeric codes appear for you? (For example, 8007000B.)

Jan 4, 2012 7:17 PM in response to eamonnfromangus

wont install error saying Error writing to fileC:|Program Files x86|Common Files\Apple|Apple Application SupportAVFoundationCF.resources|AVCFAsset Export preset.plist.Verify that you have access to that directory.

That one's consistent with disk/file damage. The first thing I'd try with that is running a disk check (chkdsk) over your C drive.

XP instructions in the following document: How to perform disk error checking in Windows XP

Vista instructions in the following document: Check your hard disk for errors

Windows 7 instructions in the following document: How to use CHKDSK (Check Disk)

Select both Automatically fix file system errors and Scan for and attempt recovery of bad sectors, or use chkdsk /r (depending on which way you decide to go about doing this). You'll almost certainly have to schedule the chkdsk to run on startup. The scan should take quite a while ... if it quits after a few minutes or seconds, something's interfering with the scan.

Does the chkdsk find/repair any damage? If so, can you get an install to go through properly afterwards?

itunes error 2

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.