Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

In Preview, when I add text annotations to my PDF (lecture note slides), they look fine until I close it and reopen it, and then they are rotated 90 degrees. How do I fix this and keep it from happening again?

In Preview, when I add text annotations to my PDF (lecture note slides), they look fine until I close it and reopen it, and then they are rotated 90 degrees. How do I fix this and keep it from happening again?

MacBook Air, Mac OS X (10.7.2)

Posted on Jan 18, 2012 5:53 PM

32 replies

Mar 3, 2017 1:25 PM in response to slshimanek

I have the same problem. My markup in Preview is getting rotated by 90 degrees. I create the markup, it looks fine, but then if I re-open the file later the markup is rotated.

To get around this, I re-downloaded the PDF, opened, saved WITHOUT markup, closed, then opened again and did markup. Now on re-opening the Markup looks normal.

This is the kind of thing I expect in a non-Apple product.

Jan 18, 2012 6:24 PM in response to Jeffrey Lee

Thanks, I thought about that, but I have never rotated the PDF. It opens in the correct orientation. Also, I just discovered that if I double click on the text, as if I'm going to edit it, it re-orients to the correct direction. However, when I close it and open it back, it reverts back to the 90 degree rotation. Also, it's obviously not practical to do this to every notation every time you want to read it. It's impossible to read the other way. The text box itself doesn't rotate, just the text itself within the box.

Nov 8, 2012 2:19 PM in response to slshimanek

I'm having the same problem. Also if the text box is larger than the amount of text in the box then when it rotates the text isn't visible and I'm stuck clicking on random parts of my lecture slides hoping the text box will come back. This is insanely frustrating when I make hundreds of text boxes in lecture notes over the course of a few hours and can't find half of them.

Please fix!

Jan 29, 2013 3:57 PM in response to tcrother

I have the same problem with lectures slides.

Furthermore, sometimes the text box, when doube-clicking, turns the text into a one-liner. Causing the text box to sometimes get 3. times wider than the pdf itself.

tcrother wrote:

... then when it rotates the text isn't visible and I'm stuck clicking on random parts of my lecture slides hoping the text box will come back. ...

By pressing [cmd + I] the Inspector opens up and clicking on the rightmost tab 'Annotations' you should be able find those Annotations again. I do this regularly to find the empty annotations I accidentally create while clicking through slides.

Mar 20, 2013 8:39 AM in response to tcrother

I had the exact same problem. what I do is open the pdf in the dropbox viewer on my ipad, and then it shows you where your textboxes are located(they appear as red boxes). I guess the annotated pdf from mac 'preview' is not 100% compatible with other viewers, and because of that other viewers let us know where the textboxes are located.

This is really frustrating,, Apple please fix this ASAP!!!

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.