Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

cannot send mail message/user name or password is incorrect

Today I've started getting a message:

CANNOT SEND MAIL

the user name or password SMTP:username@aol.com@smpt.aol.com is incorrect

When I hit settings button and retype my password it doesn't help.

I have a 3 year old and need to be able to send from my phone, she won't leave me alone when I sit down at my lap top. HELP!

P.S. I have restarted my phone.

iPhone 3G

Posted on Jan 25, 2012 2:36 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 26, 2012 8:54 AM

I am getting this on my ipad 2 using my AOL account. Just started a few days ago. I have deleted the account and rebooted and added it back in. No success. Settings have not changed. Needing help

47 replies

Jan 26, 2012 12:07 PM in response to mgpooschke

There is another thread about this and here are the two work arounds that have been making mail send:

tiger8395

Go to the "Mail, Contacts, Calendars" settings panel under "Settings." Click on the "AOL" account. Click on "Account". Under "Outgoing Mail Server" click on "SMTP". Under "Primary Server" it says "smtp.aol.com" and is probably set to "On". Change this setting to "Off". Then click on "Add Server..." under "Other SMTP Servers". Add "smtp.aol.com" as the Host Name, Your AOL account as the user name (without "@aol.com"), and your AOL password. Your outgoing mail should now work. I believe the problem is that on my wife's phone, "@aol.com" is somehow getting added to the sendmail request under the default settings for the Primary SMTP server. This bypasses that problem.

and

from horanel (this is the one that worked for me)

I tried Tiger's info and didn't work but here's the difference:

Don't turn OFF the primary server

Add server smtp.aol.com turnON

LEAVE BOTH ON

DO add user name (without @aol.com) on new server under optional

DO add password,

under authentication, make sure password is ON

NOW IT WORKS!! been screwing with this all day --- rec'd all msges in my outbox. thx all

Apr 19, 2012 9:20 PM in response to rskup

Yep exact same issue. I have an iPhone as well and double checked my settings on both iPad and phone to make sure they were the same and they were. Problem was not being able to recieve aol mail on pad. Deleted and reset up aol account at least 4 times with no success. Read these post's and for no reason at all.....iPad came back online with aol for no apparent reason. With everyone live on more than one device like me with PC, iPhone, iPad AND an air printer I believe AOL just kinda stumbles on all those devices online at one time for a bit now and then. To the commenter saying AOL does not allow more than one device signed on at a time someone tell him he is 5 yers behind. That is no longer a set rule for any of the surviving mail servers. I love it when they just make it up as they go along. We all understand that the undereducated somehow believe they get some sort of magic IQ boost when they use a keyboard! Too funny...!

May 11, 2012 1:57 PM in response to rskup

I had same message, but I had changed my hotmail password, not sure if you have changed anything in your settings, but this worked for me:

As above Go to the "Mail, Contacts, Calendars" settings panel under "Settings." Click on the "x" account (where "x"= account in question.

now under "incoming mail server" i changed password to new one. but this was insufficient, I also needed to go to:

Under "Outgoing Mail Server" click on "SMTP". Under "Primary Server" it says "smtp.x.com"; click on that and you will find under "Outgoing Mail Server" another password to change (this was still old password). click "Done" will verify and should be good to go.

hope this helps

cannot send mail message/user name or password is incorrect

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.