1 2 3 4 5 Previous Next 67 Replies Latest reply: Jun 7, 2012 10:36 AM by digibudII Go to original post
  • 30. Re: Record profits for Apple, yet no new MacPro??
    Rob A. Level 1 Level 1 (40 points)

    Kujako wrote:

     

    Look at it this way, lets say Apple had released a new Mac Pro with a slightly faster CPU at this last Mac World expo. Then next month Intel releases the new CPUs. All the people complaining about the lack of new Mac Pros would then be complaining that Apple didn't wait for the new CPUs and that they "wasted" their money on now obsolete hardware.

     

    If the new CPUs are released and we still dont see any new Mac Pros, then we can start to complain. Till then, its kind of a wasted effort.

     

    And why can't Apple produce a new MacPro as hardware (CPU, chipsets, etc.) is released??  Every other computer manufacturer in the world does and they have considerably less financial resources than Apple.  Your argument makes no sense and is making an INVALID assumption that Apple can't release new hardware as it becomes available.

     

    The fact that Apple have NOT made available the latest Intel CPU 3.4Ghz Xeon variant in their "current" (old) MacPro line is a good example of how uncommitted Apple are to the MacPro line ... it most likely doesn't even need a EFI update to work, and if it did, it would be a VERY minor change ... not talking rocket science here, really basic simple stuff, something I KNOW Apple could afford to do with minimal effort.  But they didn't and no it's not a heat issue or power consumption issue with existing MacPro case and PSU, it can handle a 3.4Ghz CPU easily.

     

    In fact, many high end computer manufacturers often release their computers/hardware with the latest CPUs/chipsets before they are even available thru standard resellers.  And Apple actually did this many years ago with an Intel CPU ONLY available for Apple at the time ... but not now.

     

    So yes, it does indeed appear Apple are NOT in the Pro business any more -- they've decide to place ALL THEIR EGGS in the iGadget Mobile basket -- some companies just never learn from history of failures.  I'm sure Apple executives "think" this is a smart move ... and it'll be "ok" short term, but long term it'll really start to hurt Apple and they'll never understand why they flat lined.

     

    Rob

  • 31. Re: Record profits for Apple, yet no new MacPro??
    Grant Bennet-Alder Level 8 Level 8 (49,250 points)

    Rob A-

     

    Several reviewers on the NewEgg site said they had bought a pair of these 3.4GHZ X5690 processors and put them in their 2010 model two-socket Mac Pros, and they worked fast and fine.

     

    Why don't you do that as well.

  • 32. Re: Record profits for Apple, yet no new MacPro??
    Rob A. Level 1 Level 1 (40 points)

    Couple of reason why not to do this:

     

    1.  On a new MacPro it'll void the warranty

    2.  If Apple's EFI doesn't have the new processor clocking frequency/multipliers in it's tables, then it may still run the processor at 2.93Ghz

     

    But I think you're missing the point, why doesn't Apple do this to their MacPro line?  It really is very minimal effort on Apple's side ... only answer that makes sense is Apple are EOL Pro software/hardware ... if you want more proof Apple are no longer in the "Pro" arena look at jobs.apple.com -- you'll find NOTHING (out of 540 pages of listings) relating to any Pro hardware or Pro software type of positions -- don't you think that says something about the future of Pro Hardware and Pro Software at Apple?

  • 33. Re: Record profits for Apple, yet no new MacPro??
    Kujako Level 2 Level 2 (270 points)

    Wow, so you interviewed for the thousands of hardware jobs at Apple with obscure descriptions and confirmed that they are not for the Mac Pro line? Seems like they would have kicked you off the campus after the first few.

     

    And the reason it makes no sense for Apple to release a new Mac Pro right now is because it would be horribly obsolete next month. Very few people would buy one and those that did would be ****** off when the new CPUs are released.

     

    But if you want to think you know for sure that there are not going to be any more Mac Pros, better sell yours now while they still have some value and switch to Windows.

     

    Edit : Oh and searching for "Mac Mini" returns only one job opening, so clearly they're phasing out that hardware platform as well. "Mac Pro" returns seven jobs, granted none in hardware design. But you read far too much into that.

  • 34. Re: Record profits for Apple, yet no new MacPro??
    Rob A. Level 1 Level 1 (40 points)

    I don't know anyone that goes to a job interviews without reading what the job is about in a job listing ... more than enough information is Apple's job listing to determine if the job is at all related to working the MacPro line or even Pro level software such as FCP and LP.  You make it sound like someone would just "show up" to some job without knowing anything about it??

     

    Hate to break the news to you, the MacPro is HORRIBLY OBSOLETE already ... has been for 2 years without change.  But AGAIN, technology moves at a rapid pace, new hardware is released ALL the time ... you seem to create some artificial barrier that suggests MacPro's can't be updated as new hardware is released -- why not?  Apple have the resources to do so.

     

    Like I said before, every other computer manufacturer can and does release new computers when the new hardware is available, they (companies far smaller than Apple) do it all the time ... these manufacturers have far fewer resources available to them than Apple.  Remember this is Intel now and all that goes with Intel's standards.

     

    You don't decide on MacPro releases based on whether or not customers will get ****** off because a new model has come out soon after they purchased ... these aren't mobile phones, their desktop computers.  But either way, that's some crazy logic ... "Don't release new hardware because it might **** off customers?"  That's the nature of technology, it improves at a rapid pace, and i'm not talking just CPUs ... you don't delay releases of computers because of fear of ******* of existing customers, that's nuts ... that's like putting the carriage in front of the horse.

     

    And since when has Apple held back releasing new iPhone versions??  A lot of people got ****** off at iPhone rapid release schedules, but so what, it certainly didn't hurt Apple's bottom line.  And here is a thought, maybe, just maybe, the low sales numbers of MacPro computers is directly related to them NOT UPDATING them frequently.  Equivalent Windows OS based computers are just killing the MacPro both in price and performance ... that's why MacPro sales are down ... get a clue Apple.

     

    Ok, wanna buy my MacPro?  I have no brand loyalty and don't go around waiving brand loyalty flags -- brand loyalty is for the foolish ... and that's a "Pro's" perspective ... get the best tool for the job at hand.

  • 35. Re: Record profits for Apple, yet no new MacPro??
    Kujako Level 2 Level 2 (270 points)

    Thats simply not how job posting work. Apple is not going to run an opening for "Mac Pro system designer". You will apply for a job as an "RF communications engineer" and not find out till much later that you'll be making the Mac Pro Bluetooth antenna not suck.

     

    I have zero brand loyalty, if they dont release a new Mac Pro sooner or later I'll switch to another hardware vendor. I'm just not filled with hatred because Apple failed to release a new Mac Pro this month. Nor am I prone to end-of-life conspiracies with nothing to back them up.

     

    Multi-thousand dollar workstations are not cell phones. They tend to get replaced far less frequently.

  • 36. Re: Record profits for Apple, yet no new MacPro??
    Ricks ricks@macgurus.com Level 6 Level 6 (11,515 points)

    Kujako wrote:

    if they dont release a new Mac Pro sooner or later I'll switch to another hardware vendor.

     

    Multi-thousand dollar workstations are not cell phones. They tend to get replaced far less frequently.

    Exactly true on both accounts. Sooner or later we will all be looking for a workstation, Apple either has the goods or doesn't, all the shouting won't change anything..

     

    One thing you can say about Apple towers - they last and last and last. We still hammer on our MacPro1,1's just as hard as our 5,1's. At least Apple hasn't built them to fall apart in 3 years and force you to buy another with a designed lifespan.

  • 37. Re: Record profits for Apple, yet no new MacPro??
    Kujako Level 2 Level 2 (270 points)

    Ricks ricks@macgurus.com wrote:

    Exactly true on both accounts. Sooner or later we will all be looking for a workstation, Apple either has the goods or doesn't, all the shouting won't change anything..

     

    One thing you can say about Apple towers - they last and last and last. We still hammer on our MacPro1,1's just as hard as our 5,1's. At least Apple hasn't built them to fall apart in 3 years and force you to buy another with a designed lifespan.

     

    True enough. I tend to buy older systems as I can not justify the cost of the new ones. I just replaced my 2006 1,1 Mac Pro with a 2009 model. Still debating if I want to keep the old one as a back up VS selling it. Even the 2006 models sell for a grand or more on the second hand market.

     

    For me the choice of a Mac Pro was less driven by the OS (that was a factor however as I am a bit fan of the UNIX underpinnings) then it was by the build quality. I couldn't find any other multi CPU workstation that didn't sound like a leaf blower.

  • 38. Re: Record profits for Apple, yet no new MacPro??
    Ricks ricks@macgurus.com Level 6 Level 6 (11,515 points)

    One negative byproduct of the slow upgrade is that we are seeing quite a lot of our customers switching to AVID from FCP and moving to Windows OS to get the platform performance they need. Apple is bleeding professionals out of their customer base. Reluctantly, I might add. But still lost. Last week's FCP updates will relieve that a bit, hardware updates will have to follow to maintain the market.

     

    Long live the MacPro.

  • 39. Re: Record profits for Apple, yet no new MacPro??
    Kujako Level 2 Level 2 (270 points)

    Ricks ricks@macgurus.com wrote:

     

    One negative byproduct of the slow upgrade is that we are seeing quite a lot of our customers switching to AVID from FCP and moving to Windows OS to get the platform performance they need. Apple is bleeding professionals out of their customer base. Reluctantly, I might add. But still lost. Last week's FCP updates will relieve that a bit, hardware updates will have to follow to maintain the market.

     

    Long live the MacPro.

    I think the switch to AVID is fueled more by Apple dropping backwards compatibility and reducing the feature set on the new versions. If you have an older FCP project not only can you not load it in the new version, but you also cant buy a license for the old version. Or at least that was the impression I got.

  • 40. Re: Record profits for Apple, yet no new MacPro??
    Ziatron Level 4 Level 4 (3,265 points)

    ******

     

    What is "****" and "*****" ?

  • 41. Re: Record profits for Apple, yet no new MacPro??
    Ziatron Level 4 Level 4 (3,265 points)

    Apple is bleeding professionals out of their customer base.

     

    Regrettably, I have seen several people switch from Macintosh to Windows because the Mac no longer has a way to author a DVD.  ( Apple no longer includes iDVD!)

     

    Even the very lowest end Windows machine included DVD authoring software.

  • 42. Re: Record profits for Apple, yet no new MacPro??
    Grant Bennet-Alder Level 8 Level 8 (49,250 points)

    p-i-s-s-e-d o-f-f = angry

  • 43. Re: Record profits for Apple, yet no new MacPro??
    Tony DeLuca Level 1 Level 1 (80 points)

    Is there any word on the new Xeon processors yet? I want / need my new Mac Pro!

  • 44. Re: Record profits for Apple, yet no new MacPro??
    Kujako Level 2 Level 2 (270 points)

    Tony DeLuca wrote:

     

    Is there any word on the new Xeon processors yet? I want / need my new Mac Pro!

    No new CPUs till the end of the month, then some time for Apple to build up production. Assuming they release a new model (which I think they will).