Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iTunes Match playing the wrong song

I recently purchased iTunes match and up until now it has worked fine. However, I just tried to play Use Somebody by Kings Of Leon on my iphone and instead of playing that song it is playing Something's Got To Give by The Beastie Boys.

The iPhone says it is playing Kings Of Leon and shows the Kings Of Leon artwork so it's just the audio that's not right. I tried playing it on my computer and there were no problems until i deleted it and tried playing it in the cloud. Same problem, Beastie Boys. So I put the original file back into iTunes and matched it again. Still the problem persists in the cloud. I presume Match has matched it incorrectly.

Has anyone else had this issue and does anyone know how to resolve it? I have a lot of music so am not sure if the problem will happen with any other tracks I have not yet listened to from the cloud. It could be quite annoying if it keeps happening.

Thanks for your help

iPhone 4S, iOS 5.0.1

Posted on Feb 27, 2012 6:14 AM

40 replies

Feb 27, 2012 8:09 AM in response to vmitchell

My initial thought was that this was some sort of corruption of thatdave's library, causing songs and tags to be mixed up, but if you are both having the issue with the same songs then it would suggest to me that for some reason iTunes match is matching to the wrong song.

There is good and bad news if that is the case. the good news is that this is very likely to be the only track in your library which has this problem (there will very likely be matches to incorrect versions but mismatches to the wrong song are very rare).

The bad news is that you are probably not going to be able to fix it yourself. All you can do is to report it to Apple and hope that they resolve the issue. Until then, I think that Use Somebody is going to be unavailable on match in the same way that some mono / explicit versions of songs are unavailable.

Feb 27, 2012 10:03 AM in response to thatdave

FYI I have this album on vinyl, Matched it (high % too) and then grabbed the Matched file itself of "Use Somebody". It plays the correct track. So the problem seems to be on the mobile device app, and not necessarily their iTM database.

Feb 27, 2012 10:26 AM in response to Community User

But when I deleted the track on my computer and streamed the match version it played the wrong song too. Must be a match issue?

So I tried creating an AAC version, deleting the original from the cloud and matching the new version. Seems to have fixed it. On iTunes and my iPhone. Hope this helps anyone else with the same problem. Not ideal though. Hopefully the next version of match will resole the few teething issues

May 25, 2012 11:05 AM in response to thatdave

I had the exact same issue. Took me a few tries, but creating an AAC version and publishing that to iCloud worked. I now have 5 copies ( ! ) of Use Somebody on my iTunes directory, but only the AAC one imported in iTunes and in turn published to iCloud.

I was really surprised to see others had the same issue with the same exact song. All I can guess (as a software developer myself) is that the matching algorithm maybe goes by song length and maybe a few samples of the music and the Beastie Boys song is the same length and maybe has a few bytes in common, audio-wise, with the Kings Of Leon song, so maybe the algorithm matched, finding the Beastie Boys song first. If so, I don't know why they'd match that way.

Thanks for the solution!

Jul 14, 2012 8:37 AM in response to thatdave

I have the exactly the same problem and it is effecting a large percentage of my library. i think Match is the culprit.... i select pat green and aerosmith plays--the displays shows pat, but almbum art is aerosmith. this is just one example...way too many titles affected. i tried to restore my itunes library from "before Match" What can i do? what will apple do?

Jan 19, 2013 11:05 AM in response to thatdave

Now here's an interesting quirk: I've got Sophie Ellis Bextor's 'Murder on the Dancefloor' matched, deleted in the local iTunes, then correctly downloaded (at 256kbps AAC). On other devices though the song plays back as Jennifer Lopez 'I'm Into You'. Tried deleting and matching again, but problem persists. This would suggest that the mix up happened at a later moment in time than the original match. Let's hope that this will not start to happen with my other songs...

Jan 30, 2013 2:45 AM in response to thatdave

I am new to iTunes Match, and am having the exact same problem: I want to hear "Use Somebody" and instead I hear "Something's Got To Give". I'm now a bit concerned that more of my library will be swapped in this manor. As I am traveling for the next few months, I can't try the [re-rip using AAC resolution] and am hoping that Apple is picking up these reports of song swaps.

Mar 31, 2013 12:21 AM in response to thatdave

I have the same issue well the other way around... trying to listen to Somethings gotta give by the Beastie Boys and getting that kings of leon song. It must be a itunes match issue as I was downloading the song on my laptop computer where I had no local copies, went back to my other machine which has all my library with original riped cds as AAC (which it was matched from) and it was the correct track there. So it is just the itunes matching or downloading...

It is worrying how prevailant it might be.. I have 20,000 tracks but this is the only one I have found so far. Whats interesting is that my copy of Kings of Leon Use Somebody is fine...

iTunes Match playing the wrong song

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.