Previous 1 2 3 Next 31 Replies Latest reply: Dec 16, 2015 2:30 AM by xgretsch
Andy Kotz Level 1 Level 1
expertise.macosx
Mac OS X

How do I remove unwanted updates from the App Store? So you understand better what I'm referring to:

I have the App Store icon in the Dock. When there's an update a red number appears on said icon. Well, I went to check on the updates and it's for 4 different applications I either no longer have or use. One of them is an update for Lion OS users. I'm still on Snow Leopard, so it doesn't even apply to me.

So there they sit... I'm not going to download the updates... so how do I get rid of them?

Mac Pro, Mac OS X (10.6.8), Logic 9, 4TB OWC
  • Carolyn Samit Level 10 Level 10
    expertise.safari
    Safari

Hi Andy ..

no longer have or use

If there are updates available for apps you have deleted, try this.

Go to ~/Library/Caches/com.apple.appstore

Move the Cache.db and Updates files from the com.apple.appstore folder to the Trash.

Empty the Trash, restart your Mac.

For any apps you still have installed but do not use, the updates will still be available from the Updates top of the App Store window and show on the red badge on the App Store icon in the Dock.

edited by:  cs

• Andy Kotz Level 1 Level 1
    expertise.macosx
    Mac OS X

Ok... thanks. I'll give that a try.

I saw your original response but saw that you edited it!

I was going to respond to the fact that the Lion OS was required for the latest version of a particular app I have installed... (there's no longer support for Snow Leopard by this 3rd party app) that's what I meant by "updates for Lion OS users"...

Cheers... I'll check back and mark this if it "solves" my problem.

expertise.safari
    Safari

I see what you mean...  some users get confused by where updates for software are available from. For the Mac OS X it's the Apple menu > Software Update. For apps download from the App Store, click Updates from the top of the App Store window.

I'm hope deleting those files will help ...

expertise.macosx
    Mac OS X

Didn't work! Sure seemed like it should...

BTW... I found the folder and files in ~ Users/Library/Caches/com.apple.appstore

...but like I said, the unwanted app updates are still glowing annoying red on the dock!!

expertise.safari
    Safari

Andy...

Sorry that didn't work but if you give it a couple days the issue by recitify itself.

It's an ongoing App Store issue.

You can provide feedback to Apple >  Apple - Mac OS X - Feedback

expertise.macosx
    Mac OS X

I've done so... repeatedly... for several weeks now.

• Mike Lipay Level 2 Level 2

I am having the same problem, only I want to keep the app. It works under SL, but the new update does not. Since I cannot update to Lion (wrong Intel Mac), I will never need the update, but I want to keep the app. There really should be a way to do this, on my iPad, all I have to do is delete the app from iTunes, should be something similar for the Mac.

• leandrofgj Level 1 Level 1

Hey!

Try this my friend:

- Right-click App to open contextual menu

- Select "Show Package Contents"

- Look for a folder named _MASReceipt

- Remove it or better, rename it or copy it to some plce to have a backup copy

It worked for me

L.

• twiinz Level 1 Level 1

That worked perfect for me. Thank you "leandrofgj" problem solved in 3 minutes.

Ray

• camwalser Level 1 Level 1

Hi guys - Same problem, but that did not work for me. Then suddenly it struck me- Just pull the bloody icon off the dock, and it won't bother me anymore!

• JSAM Level 1 Level 1

camsalser, that was the easiest fix ever.  Just removed App Store from the dock and then put it back in.  Badge gone.

Thanks

• seventy one Level 6 Level 6
    expertise.peripherals
    Peripherals

Didn't work for me either.   Now to try the suggestion from leandrofgj.   As Carolyn says, it is an ongoing problem.   I am amazed Apple has allowed it to continue so long without a fix; it is downright irritating.

• seventy one Level 6 Level 6
    expertise.peripherals
    Peripherals

And neither did leandrofgj's suggestion.

• HACKINT0SH Level 5 Level 5

Part of the solutions in this thread are not really solutions, just an attempt to hide the symptoms of the problem.

Previous 1 2 3 Next