Previous 1 2 3 Next 101 Replies Latest reply: Aug 2, 2013 10:39 AM by PJL500
Dan R16 Level 1 (30 points)

Hi, I have the new iPad 4G on orange and the personal hotspot feature seems to be missing, I have read that this is down to the carrier so which uk networks support this feature?

Thanks,

Dan

iPad (3rd generation) Wi-Fi + 4G, iOS 5.1
  • Dan R16 Level 1 (30 points)

I heard 3 support it, is that correct?

• King_Penguin Level 10 (120,071 points)

I don't know whether there is an equivalent list for iPad personal hotspot, but 3, O2, Orange, T-Mobile and Vodafone support it on the iPhone : http://support.apple.com/kb/ht1937 . Have you tried contacting Orange ?

• HappyTrucker Level 1 (120 points)

I had an iPad 2 on a locked unit, 3 contract. I've swapped the SIM into new Apple Online Store unlocked 3rd Gen, and there's no tethering option in the settings. Now, this could be down to the fact I didn't connect to iTunes to set it up so the unit didn't get set up with carrier settings, so it's just relying on info on the SIM.

• NeilGilroyUK Level 1 (0 points)

I have a thread over on M..Rumors.com. It doesnt seem to work with any Three sims... I think there is a wider issue (missign carrier settings etc). Someone phoned Three and they had no idea whatsoever that an iPad even supported this.

Perhaps this is one of the problems with Apple being so secretive with Carriers...

• HappyTrucker Level 1 (120 points)

Neil,

It being Three Customer Services, I suppose we should just be glad they even knew what an iPad was!

• kevinpayneuk Level 1 (0 points)

I have three 10gb broadband and spoke to them this morning. The guy was adamant that apple haven't enabled it on new iPad. Suggested I spoke to apple. I can use my iPhone 4S as Personal Hotspot with same sim.

Have been onto apple support who have tried all resets but suspect it might be carrier settings. I will have to wait until I get home later today.

Key thing is that they believe it should work.

But I think Carrier Updates are distrubuted by Apple via iTunes?

• tyler39 Level 2 (365 points)

Look in settings-general-network. If you can't turn it on the its the carrier restricting it.

• d_a_m_s Level 1 (0 points)

I have the same problem with my French carrier (Orange) and I tried different things without success...

I have submitted the case to Apple Support this morning, no direct solutions....

I think that's not a carrier problem

• Rob Butchart Level 1 (5 points)

@ThreeUK twitter feed is saying that the service will become available the next time Apple update the software. No eta.

Not sure exactly what this means.

I have looked with Apple to see if I can get more info. Follow me in twitter for info, @heybutch1. I will be pestering Three until resolved.

• Dan R16 Level 1 (30 points)

I spoke to three online and he was sure that the personal hotspot feature would work on their network having said that he was trying to sell me a contract!

Apple support called me back to say that Three had an issue which they were fixing with Apple.

Not sure how accurate that is because I have tried Orange and Vodafone sims in new iPad and my iPhone 4S.

On iPad not personal Hotspot but all give Personal Hotspot when in iPhone so I can only conclude it is an iPad issue and not the carriers.

I am beginning to think that apple only enabled hotspot on 4G and not 3G so it would make sense that an iOS update is needed to fix it.

basically I don't think they know what the problem is....

There is some great work being done in this thread! Fingers crossed this gets fixed really soon.

Previous 1 2 3 Next