Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Apple TV 3rd generation stuttering on buffer

i have ran e net from my airport extreme direct to my imac and atv3 and get video stutter (this happens durring the buffer) after the buffer is complete the stuttering stops ...(for both local movies in itunes and internet based from the itunes store) i tried wifi since the e net port is not gigabit and still have the same issue ... my first gen atv never had an issue streaming (yes streaming localy ...not stored on its internal hdd) ... i also tried lowering resolution to 720p and turning off dolby digital audio to no avail ... im pretty sure this is a hardware issue the processor must be crunching while buffering is happening ... does any one have similar issues? i am going to call apple tomorrow

Posted on Mar 23, 2012 1:52 AM

84 replies

Mar 23, 2012 6:47 AM in response to macalicious

The same here with AirPlay Mirroring.

I have an iPad 2 and a 300 MBit/s WiFi Router (and 2 other 150MBit/s WiFi Router).

It seems that the Apple TV 3G is buffering every 2 seconds or so, and from time to time it seems to buffer for the duration of 1/2 to 1 second!

That's simply ridiculous! 😢

I'm using the ATV mainly for musik but from time to time I want to play too and that's a big disappointment.

Anyone having same problems with the ATV3?

(I know there is another trhead too, but this thread is for the ATV3 so I'm posting here as well)

Mar 23, 2012 12:12 PM in response to macalicious

I'm sure it's not your network - buffering is supposed to accomodate network speed and latancy issues, by design! But I don't have hopes for your restore either - I did the same thing during my troubleshooting.

I am curious though - did you have the same symptoms on wifi? On my gear I've come to the conclusion it's a problem with ATV's CPU use while trying to buffer and play simultaneously over wired ethernet. Could be wrong, but it everything points to it.

Apple TV 3rd generation stuttering on buffer

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.