Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Audio out stuck on Digital Output after running an HDMI setup.

So while at a gig last night with my band, we ran a video from my computer to screens on stage. The chain looked like so:

MBP -> Mini-DisplayPort -> MDP/HDMI converter -> 4-way HDMI Splitter -> LCD Monitors

Now sometime during takedown, someone just decided to unplug something from my computer without consulting me or taking any proper precautions. Now my audio is stuck on Digital Output (type digital optical out).

Here's what I know, and what I've tried.

There is NO red light coming from my line out. Please don't bother suggesting the micro-switch fix.

I have reset the PRAM/NVRAM

I have killed coreaudio a few times with no luck

I have deleted without progress:

1) com.apple.audio.DeviceSettings.plist

2) com.apple.audio.SystemSettings.plist

3) com.apple.systemsound.plist

I have restarted my computer

I have attempted to use Audio MIDI Setup

I have googled:

1) com.apple.systemsound

2) macbook pro stuck on digital out audio no red light

3) force resetting to internal audio osx

4) force reset coreaudio osx

5) com.apple.audio.DeviceSettings.plist

6) resetting audio output osx

7) osx audio stuck on digital out

8) osx audio stuck on digital out after hdmi

9) osx audio stuck on hdmi

Now that I've most likely narrowed the issue down, can someone tell me what I HAVEN'T done?

MacBook Pro (15-inch Mid 2010), Mac OS X (10.6.8)

Posted on Apr 29, 2012 12:04 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 29, 2012 1:27 AM

The below linked article is from Apple.

http://support.apple.com/kb/TS1574

PRAM is already Reset.

May be Reset SMC will help.

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT3964

Best.

56 replies

Apr 29, 2012 9:55 AM in response to wjosten

This is what I got. All that I'm not sure about, anyway. I know coreaudio. Do you see anything I should be killing?

AppleSpell.service
autofsd
blued
configd
coreaudiod
coreservicesd
cupsd
cvmsComp_x86_64
cvmsServ
DirectoryService
diskarbitrationd
distnoted
dynamic_pager
fontd
fseventsd
fxlm
hidd
kernel_task
KernelEventAgent
kextd
krb5kdc
launchd
launchd
lsd
mDNSResponder
mds
mdworker
mdworker
Nalpeirond6
notifyd
ntpd
pboard
securityd
syslogd
SystemStarter
SystemUIServer
taskgated
usbmuxd
UserEventAgent
VDCAssistant
WindowServer

Apr 29, 2012 6:17 PM in response to wjosten

Figured it out. It DID involve a SMC reset, but I had to trick it a bit.

1) Plug in headphones or external speakers into the line-out jack

2) Shut down the computer

3) Perform an SMC with the speakers still plugged into the jack

4) Boot up

5) Disconnect speakers

It's now back to "Internal Speakers", where it should be 🙂

Jul 31, 2012 9:10 AM in response to AKC87

AKC87, thanks for your persistance and post.

Unfortunately, this didn't end up working for me. I tried a variety of things and ultimately, it was a solution based on this link:

https://josephhall.org/nqb2/index.php/stuckonmute

BUT, what I did was hit play on my music in iTunes with my headphones plugged in, opened the Sound preferences pane in System Preferences, then I unplugged headphones and plugged them back in, then unplugged them again, until eventually sound came back on the internal speakers. Had to do it about 3 or 4 times.

Some additional info: 2010 MacBook Pro 17" (Model 6,1), just upgraded to OS X 10.7 Lion, started when I unplugged my Cinema display from the Mini-DisplayPort, and sound was unavailable even after trying all the things AKC87 mentioned.

Hope this helps save someone else serious frustration.

Oct 11, 2012 8:42 PM in response to AKC87

My sound was working perfectly fine until I unplugged my headphones while playing a game on my Macbook Pro 15" Mid 2010. I had the red light at first but now it's no longer there & no sound comes from my computer, be it through the speakers or headphones. Only the startup sound plays. Before I could almost here music playing through the headphones if I jiggled it around but that's not the case anymore. System preferences shows "digital out" as my output and I've tried everything listed here. I can't reset the SMC because my battery isn't detachable like the older models.

I have no apple care and as a 21 year old unemployed college student I definitely cant afford to replace the logic board. Any other solutions??

Nov 25, 2012 12:29 PM in response to drmac8

Had this problem on my Early 2008 White MacBook (10.5.8). Tried everything on the page, Sound Output still stuck on digital out. Kept plugging and unplugging headphones, twisting the headphone plug, and eventually exerting a little bit of force sideways in a circular motion with the headphone plug (like I was reaming the headphone socket). Lo and behold, "Internal Speakers" are back.

DAn.

Nov 30, 2012 11:45 AM in response to AKC87

Hello AKC87,

Like you, I have done EVERYTHING you did; but the only way the sound worlds on my 13" (late 2011) MacBook Pro is if I use the mini jack with headphones/external speakers, otherwise its such on optical digital audio.

Not even, the seeming reliable Toothpick trick seems to be working for me? Surely working toothpick cannot be that challenging??

Wanted to ask about the red light too; this does not seem to be perminant either? Whether its illuminated or not, System preferences says I only have optical digital audio available.

Could it because I have a dual-boot through bootcamp? Surely not?

I have tried firmware updates too, nothing... its really getting annoying as I am an BIG apple-punter amongest my PC mates; now I am starting to look super-stupid.

PLEASE tell me that its not a "lucky / unlucky" situation!?

Audio out stuck on Digital Output after running an HDMI setup.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.