Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iCloud integration causes Outlook to hang when switching to Calendar for a LONG TIME?

I've been working on integrating iCloud (contacts and calendar) into outlook (tried 2007 & 2010). With 3 kids I have to integrate our home and work calendars if we expect to have any chance of remembering anything.

I thought I had found a solution, using the basic windows iCloud control panel and then using a free piece of software from CodeTwo - http://www.codetwo.com/sync-for-icloud/ - which essentially just keeps any of your outlook folders (contacts, calendar, etc) in sync with one of the iCloud generated folders. One way either direction or Two way.

This all worked just fine... except...through process of elimination I found that once the iCloud control panel has generated it's iCloud 'pst' and Outlook is opening it; that Outlook takes an excruciatingly long time (minutes) to switch into the Calendar. I don't see this behavior when switching to Contacts or back to Mail. This persists even if I turn syncing for anything outlook related off at the iCloud control panel, presumably because the iCloud folders are still present in outlook. It isn't until I remove them, that things go back to normal.

Curiously, I'm doing this on two different pc's. One has normal Outlook (local files) and all works fine, while the other has an Exchange Server account, it's the one that's hanging.

windows 7 64bit

outlook 2007 & 2010 (with an exchange account)

iCloud control panel 1.1 (64 bit)

iCloud-OTHER, Windows 7, Outlook

Posted on May 1, 2012 6:09 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 5, 2017 2:22 AM

2017... aaand problem is NOT solved yet. Windows 10, latest Outlook from Office 365, new computer... after icloud outlook integration is installed, switching to calendar view in outlook takes very very long time. Problem is solved when disabling the outlook icloud add on, but then icloud calenders are not syncing obviously. I may have to forget the icould calendard and swith to use e.g. Google calendar with my family.

59 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 5, 2017 2:22 AM in response to chloetzli

2017... aaand problem is NOT solved yet. Windows 10, latest Outlook from Office 365, new computer... after icloud outlook integration is installed, switching to calendar view in outlook takes very very long time. Problem is solved when disabling the outlook icloud add on, but then icloud calenders are not syncing obviously. I may have to forget the icould calendard and swith to use e.g. Google calendar with my family.

Jan 13, 2017 5:03 AM in response to spaten

Incredible this is still going on. In my case it is not minutes any longer though. So it has gone down to simply being annoying to have outlook hanging for 10 seconds each time you want to see or modify your calendar. Seems like an eternity anyway!

I have latest icloud as of Dec 2016, and Outlook 2016.

The best work around that I have found in this thread is to keep two instances of outlook running, one is kept on the calendar and the other one used for everything else, but the calendar.

Other workarounds do not let you see all your calendars overlaid simultaneously, which forfeits a significant part of why you want the integration after all.

Apple and Microsoft, can you collaborate and get this fixed!? Stop blaming each other, we paid both of you for your products!

May 9, 2012 5:56 AM in response to samsoyy

Yes, I do have all the latest updates. I even ran a test where I exported all my appointments out of my calendar, then deleted them off the exchange server. This still didn't help.

I was able to get a coworker to run the control panel on his work PC, and he did not see the problem.

Then, I added the exchange account to my home PC on Office 2007 (our exchange server can do this through the outlook web access server) and then the problem showed up there as well.

All I can figure is that there must be some key difference between my outlook account and his, although I can't imagine what that might be. I'm not inclined to push our IT dept to investigate, it's just not worth the pain of trying to explain the problem to them, just to be told 'we don't support apple products'... i know, i know... just please check this for me.... anyway, not worth it.

I've since rolled everything back into a central gmail account (contacts, calendar) and am using that as the 'cloud' to keep things sync'd. I'm using a relatively cheap piece of software called 'gsyncit' (http://www.fieldstonsoftware.com/software/gsyncit3/index.shtml) and it seems to be doing the job quite well. In reality, this is no less integrated than iCloud since that required an extra service to keep things sync'd as well.

It's highly configurable, so i feel like I have much more control over what sync's to what.. no complaints so far.

thanks for the suggestions and attempts to help!

May 10, 2012 10:58 PM in response to spaten

I have the exact same problem, im not using it into my personal computer, im using it in my work's computer, I used it for a time with outlook 2010 with no problem, I even preferred to use the icloud calendar over the excange calendar but after I did a reimage to my computer because something else was acting weird, I resintall everything and from then I started to get the issue you have.

I have tried everything, updates from microsoft, updates from apple, disabling, enablaing the add on but nothing seems to solve the issue, as soon as I disable the icloud add on from outlook the problem is gone.

Oct 10, 2012 8:40 AM in response to spaten

I experience the same thing. Outlook 2010, Windows 7 Pro x64. I've been experiencing this issue since I installed the iCloud control panel app and tried syncing on my system that connects to Exchange Server (last March). I have another computer that does not connect to Exchange Server but connects to a POP server, no problems there with iCould syncing. I get around it by opening appointments in a separate window. A straightforward solution would be nice.

iCloud integration causes Outlook to hang when switching to Calendar for a LONG TIME?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.