Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

my safari menu bar is missing --the menu bar for desktop, HD, and apps appears, but when I click on Safari, it disappears, so I can no longer see my buttons for History, etc. I think my husband (pc user) clicked it away. Any ideas how to retrieve it?

My safari menu bar is missing. The menu bar for desktop, HD, and apps appears, but when I click on Safari, it disappears, so I can no longer see my buttons for History, etc. I think my husband (pc user) clicked it away when borrowing my computer. Any ideas how to retrieve it? Thanks.

MacBook Pro, Mac OS X (10.5.8)

Posted on May 10, 2012 9:30 PM

75 replies

May 18, 2012 11:59 AM in response to Linc Davis

I have the same problem and i'm running lion, but i'm not in full screen, and i doubt this lady is either - please give us a bit more credit than that - i think if it was as simple as pressing 'esc' we wouldn't need to be told it or even ask. But yeh, I downloaded lion onto my macbook pro (previously snow leopard) about a month ago, and everything worked fine for maybe 3 weeks, but then the safari menu bar dissapeared for a few days non-stop, so i re-downloaded safari. It worked fine for maybe a week, and then it happened again, and is still not working properly as I write this. Contrary to your belief, the screen is in standard view, and where the menu bar at the top, and icons at the bottom should be, I can just see my desktop picture. I'm assuming it's an error on apple's part, but it's a ridiculous error because it affects the whole of the application's function, as I can't access anything apart from the search bar, bookmarks, address bar and the page i'm on. It's so inconvenient because it then means i can't go into history or access any options etc. and i don't expect to pay good money for a faulty upgrade that apple obviously haven't tested well enough before release.

May 18, 2012 4:29 PM in response to TildeBee

what? no, there is no 'view' menu and i'm not in full screen =S why think i'm so dumb?! i can go in full screen if i want to, and i can get back out of full screen if i want to, but either way the menu does not show. the menu shows in every other app but safari, and it's a common problem if you look into it, i just wondered if anyone knew how to fix it yet, but obviously you don't even know what i'm talking about - you will when it happens to yours though if you're using lion on a macbook pro. please read my comment properly, as i've explained all i can - it happens even when the safari pane is reduced and has screen space showing around the side. when i go in full screen, the icons at the bottom show but still not the menu, then the icons dissapear as i press 'esc'.

May 18, 2012 4:36 PM in response to KSheppard

k --

Are you aware of the fact that we're just other Mac users here? Volunteers trying to help by sharing solutions?

So maybe back off a little, OK?

There is a "View" menu, it's hidden in full screen, until you take your cursor and kind of peek upwards with it.

I DO know what you're talking about. I spent 2 hours trying to fix that in someone else's Mac on Tuesday. So give me a break, OK?

Have you tried the Command/Control buttons along with the letter F combo yet?????

May 18, 2012 4:46 PM in response to TildeBee

Two people have insulted my intelligence on here already and have not taken me seriously, so of course i'm gonna be like this when people are just assuming i'm being an idiot instead of trying to actually help. i'm in normal screen now and have checked every available way of sorting out the problem myself before resorting to here - i've tried cmd/ctrl/F, i've tried messing with the settings, i've re-installed it, i've pressed 'esc', i've hovered over where the menu should be, i've clicked where the menu should be (it just comes up with the finder menu instead) and i've trawled the internet for answers - i thought the apple site might have the answer, but obviously not. Don't pick me up for being rude when I gave a detailed explanation of the problem, and you just dismissed it and replied 'I bet you're in full screen mode' or words to that effect. How is that not insulting?

May 18, 2012 5:02 PM in response to hpr3

how is it an attitude? until i got insulted again i was polite. Tbh it looks like i won't get help cos none of you know what i'm talking about, so it doesn't matter anymore, i'll just wait till apple release a solution. And i'm pretty sure it doesn't matter that it's not my thread, it's the same problem so why create multiple threads on the same question? anyway, whatever, just next time people should say they don't know the answer or just not reply instead of repeating what the first reply said.

May 28, 2012 11:20 PM in response to KSheppard

I too was having the same problem 😕 However, I could access both the menu bar and the dock by hovering my mouse over them so it wasn't a huge problem but I prefered having it there anyway. I was not in full screen mode and I could still go into full screen mode if I wanted to. I found the easiest solution was to just quit safai and restart it, but it might not work for you considering you couldn't access you menu bar either way.

I found this article that allows you to hide/show the menu bar and the dock through TextEdit (didn't work for me) http://www.mactricksandtips.com/2009/07/hide-the-menubar-or-dock-in-specific-app s.htmlIt is pretty old so it might not work for lion and a bit risky if you don't know what you're doing so I wouldn't really recommend doing it this way.

And KSheppard, I know it's not really any of my buisness, but the way to get answers to a question isn't by insulting others and being quick-tempered. Even if you feel like you were insulted first, don't try snapping at people who aren't obligated to help you. Honestly, it just makes everything easier if everybody is cooperative and polite. 🙂

May 29, 2012 6:14 AM in response to KSheppard

The reason that threadjacking is frowned on (as mentioned in the terms use which you can read by clicking the link to the right on this page) is for the most part a practical one:

By starting your own thread your problem can get individual attention, focussed on your particular set of circumstances.

By joining somebody else's thread it becomes tricky to answer more than one question at the same time, and can lead to confusion for both parties.

So if you don't mind the minor inconvenience, please start your own thread so we can get to grips with your particular problem!

my safari menu bar is missing --the menu bar for desktop, HD, and apps appears, but when I click on Safari, it disappears, so I can no longer see my buttons for History, etc. I think my husband (pc user) clicked it away. Any ideas how to retrieve it?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.