Skip navigation

Retina Macbook Pro LCD Mura (White Spot)

47556 Views 97 Replies Latest reply: Mar 18, 2014 10:24 PM by Seagull21 RSS Branched to a new discussion.
1 2 3 ... 7 Previous Next
RonnieSan Calculating status...
Currently Being Moderated
Jun 19, 2012 4:42 PM

I just got my brand new retina screen Macbook Pro today and after a few hours of use, I noticed a light spot in the mid-lower left side of the screen.  It's a cloudy light spot also known as mura.  ***** that this innovative new screen on the expensive as heck MBP retina has this issue.  I'll have to see what can be done about it at the Apple store, but I don't want to be without my new laptop (which I need for work) for over a month.

Anyone else with a new MBP retina seeing the same issues?

MacBook Pro (Retina, Mid 2012), Mac OS X (10.7.4)
  • Anzoni Calculating status...
    Jun 20, 2012 12:09 PM (in response to RonnieSan)

I have the same problem. Did you bring it back to the store yet? Im bringing mine back this week.

• htfanatic88 Calculating status...
    Jun 20, 2012 6:22 PM (in response to RonnieSan)

I have the same problem on my new Retina MBP. I took it to the Apple Store and had a Genius look at it, he was unable to see the spot (I think because of the bright white lighting in the store) and told me to contact Apple Care. They couldn't help either because they can't physically see the screen so they told me to take it to a different Apple Store.

I'm yet to try bringing it to another Genius, but I'm in the same boat with you in not wanting to be stuck without a computer for a month or more.

I almost want to live with the spot, but for the price I paid this thing should be flawless.

• wvitulli Calculating status...
    Jun 21, 2012 6:22 AM (in response to RonnieSan)

I"m having the same problem. I bought the computer online from Apple and I contacted them for support. I got transferred around about 5 times and was on the phone for nearly 2 hours, but they agreed to replace the laptop for me with a new one and send the old one back to Engineering to see what's going on with it. Apparently this isn't the first time they've heard of this.

• htfanatic88 Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)
    Jun 21, 2012 7:02 AM (in response to wvitulli)

@wvitulli

How did you get them to agree to send you a new one? The support person I talked to said he couldn't issue a replacement without verification of the problem by a Genius.

Also, how long are you expecting to wait for your replacement?

• wvitulli Level 1 Level 1 (5 points)
    Jun 21, 2012 7:13 AM (in response to RonnieSan)

I just explained my issue rationally and stated that I would not accept a $3K+ laptop with display defects. I have about 6-7 of these white spots littering my display. EveryoneI spoke with assured me that they would get the laptop replaced. I'm surprised they wouldn't set up a replacement for you. I'd call back again and speak with customer support and explain the situation once more.

I set up an advance RMA with Apple, so they put a deposit down on my credit card, and after the 3 week waiting time for a new laptop, they'll send me out a new one first and I'll send my old one back. I can't be without a laptop for weeks until they can get me another one.

• DCNY69 Level 1 Level 1 (20 points)
    Jun 21, 2012 8:18 AM (in response to htfanatic88)

If you know you have an issue and it's obvious, don't take no from an 18 year old Genius. Request that somebody else looks at it. If necessary call the manager and have him look at it in his office where lighting might be lower than in the store.

Last year I got an iPhone and the screen colors were off. It looked greenish. Took it to the Apple store and the guy said it looked fine. No it didn't. He called somebody else and this other person noticed it right away. They swapped the phone.

At $4 per gallon, I don't have the time, patience or money to go back and forth hoping they might see my issue. You are paying $3000 for a laptop, it should be flawless.

I do advise to be professional and polite at all times when having issues. These guys are overworked.

I hope you get your issue resolved, good luck

DC

• htfanatic88 Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)
    Jun 21, 2012 10:56 AM (in response to DCNY69)

Took it to a second Genius today at a different store in my area. This one actually took the time to check out the display for a few minutes and even took it out back to look at it. He finally noticed the slight difference in colors from the top of the screen to the bottom but said that it is within "normal operating limits." He then told me it could be exchanged but only for a lesser model that they had in stock or I could just return the laptop to Apple and buy a new one.

So this looks like the route I will be taking, hopefully Apple Care can setup the same advanced RMA they did with wvitulli.

Thanks all for the support!

• Anzoni Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)
    Jun 21, 2012 1:26 PM (in response to RonnieSan)

I brought my macbook back to apple store last night. The genius told me that the only thing I could do other than waiting is to return it. I then spoke to the manager and told him about the screen. He asked me for my email and phone number and told me that he will let me know when a new macbook is in the store for exchange. The only thing im afraid of is that it may take longer than 3 weeks and I wont be able to get a refund after 2 weeks. I dont know if I can trust the manager. I hope he calls me soon. I also already redeemed my 100$ giftcard so I guess I will lose 100$ if I return it. Only if there were some in stock :/

• DCNY69 Level 1 Level 1 (20 points)
    Jun 21, 2012 1:44 PM (in response to Anzoni)

WHY would you use the $100 already??????????????? **** bro, was it burning your fingers that badly?

I'd say wait another week and if you don't get it replaced, just cancel everything. It's better than getting stuck with a bad product. You can always buy it later.

I wish Apple would have a 30 day return on computers too, love them dearly but for the past few years they have too many issues on new products.

DC

• sjam Calculating status...
    Jun 26, 2012 8:46 AM (in response to RonnieSan)

I called apple care and they only want to fix the display. What was the outcome of yours?

• Maziyar Level 1 Level 1 (10 points)
    Jun 26, 2012 9:05 AM (in response to sjam)

fix the display?! How long you've been using it? is already 14 days? If it's not 14 days just return it. They should do the same thing as they did with RonnieSan. Let you work with yours until they ship you the new one. If you look at the other topics you can see with burn-in or so call ghost Apple changes the machine immediatly.

1 2 3 ... 7 Previous Next

Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (7)

Legend

• This solved my question - 10 points
  • This helped me - 5 points
This site contains user submitted content, comments and opinions and is for informational purposes only. Apple disclaims any and all liability for the acts, omissions and conduct of any third parties in connection with or related to your use of the site. All postings and use of the content on this site are subject to the Apple Support Communities Terms of Use.