Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

2012 Macbook Pro with retina display won't recognize my External Hard drive.

I have 2 Macbook Pro's, a 2009 and this brand new one I got today. My external hard drive is a 1 TB clickfree. It has worked for months on my old Mac but when I plug it into my new mac it doesn't even show up in finder or disk utility. I tried the USB ports with another device and they work fine. So it isn't a hard ware issue. The cables are USB 3.0. The external hard drive model number is HD2037N3.

I have tried taking everything off (huge pain) and reformating the drive and still it doesn't recognize it!

Can someone offer me help onto how I can get my Mac to recognize it?

MacBook Pro with Retina display, iOS 5.1.1

Posted on Jun 20, 2012 3:35 PM

83 replies

Jun 20, 2012 9:46 PM in response to Micky350

There have been a number of reports here about USB 3 drives not working with USB 3 ports. Only one user that I have seen has had a solution - offered by an Apple 'genius' - and that was a replacement of the power supply. I don't think that is everyone's solution, however. I'd make an appointment with your local Apple Store and take in your new MBP and you drive and see if they can offer a fix.

BTW - does the drive show up when you invoke a System Report? Some have and some haven't.

Clinton

2012 Macbook Pro with retina display won't recognize my External Hard drive.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.