Previous 1 2 Next 20 Replies Latest reply: Jun 16, 2014 9:21 PM by griffin45
Canoe112 Level 4 (3,030 points)

I want to send emails to the same 10 people repeatedly.  Is it possible to set up either mail or contacts so that one contact launches all 10 addresses into mail so that I can contact the entire group.  I don't want to manually add each address every week.

I searched knowledgebase and did not find any solution.

Thanks

Canoe112

iBook, Mac OS X (10.5.8)
  • Neville Hillyer Level 4 (1,865 points)

Open Address Book - in Applications and use help to view eg:

Picture 13.png

• Canoe112 Level 4 (3,030 points)

Thanks Neville, but I was looking for a way to send group email all at once.  From what I've read neither OSX or iOS permit this.

However, I found a slick App for iOS that is called Mailshot Pro.  It does everything I want on the iPhone.  They do not have an OSX version.

Regards

Canoe112

I thought that was the point of groups - I will try it later

Neville Hillyer wrote:

I thought that was the point of groups - I will try it later

I have tried it and contrary to posts elsewhere it does work as I said:

1. Set up a group in the Address Book application with some email addresses
    2. Create a new message in Mail
    3. Hit the address book icon in Mail
    4. Select the new group
    5. The group name (note 1) is automatically put into To (note 2)

Notes:

1. Depending upon Mail settings either all addresses or the group name is used
    2. To do it properly put the cursor in Bcc to insert the group and hide email addresses from recipients
  • Gamerpete Level 1 (95 points)

Hi

I am the developer of MailShot Pro, thanks for the mention.

I just thought I would add that, although there isnt a version for OSX, you can use the special contacts that MailShot creates for your groups in Mail on your mac too.

Heres a link to a how-to How can I send mail to a MailShot group from a Mac ?

I'll also repeat the tip that people find most useful:

For best results address your emails to MailShot groups by tapping on the blue “+” button in the “To:” “Cc:” or “Bcc:” line of Mail (or thousands of other apps) and select the group from your address book. (If you can’t find the contact that MailShot created at first, tap “Groups” and select “All Contacts” first.)

Any questions, just drop a line to mailshot@solubleapps.com

Cheers

Peter

Soluble Apps

Disclosure: I am the developer of MailShot Pro, and may benefit from it's sale.

What is the advantage of this when Mail on OS X does it so easily?

• Gamerpete Level 1 (95 points)

Hi Neville

No, I would not propose it for people who mainly use OSX. Apologies if this caused any confusion.

I added the information after the lack of an OSX version of MailShot came up, for people who might be looking for a solution across both platforms (you cannot send to groups on iOS without an additional app).

Peter

• seamuswarren Level 1 (5 points)

I set up a "group" for one contact who has three email addresses but it's still only sending mail to one of these three addresses. I'll go see if I can add this same contact to their three times - each time associated with a different one of their three email addresses. Thank you.

EDIT: Nah, my idea did not work. Won't allow an existing contact to be added three times - once for each email address. But I suppose I could set up three separate contacts each with a unique email address just so I can sent to all three at once. Hope this makes sense.

Interesting point but why do you wish to send the same email to a person more than once?

• seamuswarren Level 1 (5 points)

I suppose just to cover all bases.

• ctreborn Level 1 (0 points)

This absolutely worked for me NO REASON to buy or dowload ANY thrid party app.

In MAIL just go to WINDOW and click on ADRESS PANEL

This will open your address book and if you created a group in Mail or iCloud(.com) then you can drag group to either TO or BCC. So easy!

Thank you Neville!!!

I am glad it helped you.

• Nancy Loves Apple Level 1 (0 points)

Once you create your Groups an easy way to send email is this. (you don't need to go to email first)

Open contacts

2 finger click on group you want

Click on send email to group

A new email will open up

Previous 1 2 Next