Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

'Magic' mouse does not scroll

This so-called 'magic' mouse came with my iMac. It simply does not work; I've followed every piece of advice & guidance - have gone into the settings & ticked all the relevant functions - but the 'scroll' function does not exist. I roll my finger down the mouse, exactly as in the guidance illustrations - and absolutely nothing happens. All this does is bring up a scroll bar on the right-hand side, so I then have to move over & use the scroll bar - something I've not had to do for years with my Windows PC & wireless mouse with a wheel. Is this seriously how this mouse is meant to work? I.e. it simply activates a 1990's style scroll bar?! If so I think this is a bit of a cheek; Macs are not cheap; they could at least have supplied it with a proper functioning mouse. Especially given that it also comes with tiny stunted keypad with some crucial functions missing. I will now have to replace both of these - at additional expense!

iMac, Mac OS X (10.7)

Posted on Jul 17, 2012 8:21 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 9, 2017 11:41 AM

For me, it was simply an issue with the Bluetooth connexion somehow. My Magic Mouse connected to my MacBook Pro was not scrolling even though the trackpad on the MacBook worked. This bug weirdly seems to be triggered by plugging in an exeternal monitor.

To fix, I simply :

1. Click on the Bluetooth Icon in the menu bar
  2. Hit "Deactivate Bluetooth"
  3. Use the trackpad to reactivate Bluetooth

After that, everything works fine and scrolling is working again (in my case, at least... it could be a different issue for you).

A common trick, if you only have access to your Magic Mouse (and after deactivating Bluetooth find yourself stuck not being able to reactivate it), you can hit spotlight with CMD + Space and find "Bluetooth File Exchange.app". The way this application is built is that it will pop-up a window at launch to warn you that Bluetooth is not activated and has a button "Activate Bluetooth" already focused (in blue). You can then hit "enter" and reactivate Bluetooth quickly without hassle.

50 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 9, 2017 11:41 AM in response to AliWonder

For me, it was simply an issue with the Bluetooth connexion somehow. My Magic Mouse connected to my MacBook Pro was not scrolling even though the trackpad on the MacBook worked. This bug weirdly seems to be triggered by plugging in an exeternal monitor.

To fix, I simply :

1. Click on the Bluetooth Icon in the menu bar
  2. Hit "Deactivate Bluetooth"
  3. Use the trackpad to reactivate Bluetooth

After that, everything works fine and scrolling is working again (in my case, at least... it could be a different issue for you).

A common trick, if you only have access to your Magic Mouse (and after deactivating Bluetooth find yourself stuck not being able to reactivate it), you can hit spotlight with CMD + Space and find "Bluetooth File Exchange.app". The way this application is built is that it will pop-up a window at launch to warn you that Bluetooth is not activated and has a button "Activate Bluetooth" already focused (in blue). You can then hit "enter" and reactivate Bluetooth quickly without hassle.

Jul 18, 2012 12:10 AM in response to captfred

Thanks; but I've done that already; I ticked everything in 'Mouse' in System Preferences (though I can't see 'universal access' - it's just 'mouse'). Everything is ticked, & the 'tracking' slider is set to max. It does absolutely nothing when I slide my finger down it - in any direction. In fact if I press too hard to try to get it to work, it thinks I'm trying to click something. All I get is the slider bar at the side! Very frustrating; is it broken? It's brand new. I've already ordered a mouse with a scroll button from Amazon, as this gimmicky thing clearly doesn't work. The trouble is I can't even sell it if it's not working!

Jul 18, 2012 2:46 AM in response to AliWonder

Hello:

Cutting through your rant........ I am not an apologist for Apple, but no one makes devices that are perfect all the time.

The scroll wheel is a matter of preference. Mine is that not having a wheel is one less thing to gum up and go wrong.

If the mouse is new, either call Applecare with a warranty issue, or take it to a store for replacement.

If you want to try something, reset the SMC and PRAM.

Barry

Jul 18, 2012 2:56 AM in response to Barry Hemphill

Thank you; I do realise I can take it back to the shop if it's broken, but I was just trying to understand whether it is in fact broken, or this is how it is actually supposed to work! I.e. is it supposed to actually scroll down the page like a wheel would do when you rub your finger along the top; or is the full extent of it's function simply to make the scroll bar appear?!

'SMC and PRAM'..? (Sorry, I've got no idea what these acronyms stand for).

Jul 18, 2012 3:12 AM in response to AliWonder

Hello:

is it supposed to actually scroll down the page like a wheel would do when you rub your finger along the top;

It scrolls up and down when you rub your finger vertically. It will do the same for horizontal scrolling when you rub the finger horizontally.

Sorry about the acronyms - I sometimes "assume" things - and you know what that does. 😉

SMC=system management controller - reset like this:

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT3964

PRAM=parameter random-access memory - reset like this:

http://support.apple.com/kb/PH4405

Both of those sometimes fix odd problems. Neither operation will harm anything.

Barry

Jul 18, 2012 6:05 AM in response to AliWonder

I think you need to look at my first post again. Within System Preferences is a section called Universal Access. It's separate from the Mouse options. Within that section is the scrolling option as described above. You stated you couldn't find it but you'll need to.

Edit: I also assume you're running Lion 10.7.x as your profile indicates.

Jul 18, 2012 2:25 PM in response to captfred

Thanks; I turned everything I could find in 'Universal Access' up to the maximum setting - & it 'sort of' scrolls now; but not how I would expect it to; it sticks all the time, or thinks I'm trying to click something, & I still end up having to use the scroll bar at the side. I think in conclusion it's a shoddy, badly designed product - Apple is not impressing me so far!

But thanks all for your help; I do appreciate it! (NB: Captfred, I did try to mark your post as 'this helped me', but it told me I'd used up all my available points!)

Oct 18, 2012 12:26 PM in response to AliWonder

I've been poking about in the forums, and it seems a lot of people have trouble with the mouse wheel stickiing. It is not an issue of Universal Access. It's that the mouse is not well designed. Apple Support suggested cleaning it, which sometimes works but not all the time. Shaking it seems to help. Having it work right in the first placce would be better.

Today, I can track down a page but not up. Excuse me while I go find something to clean it with

Oct 19, 2012 3:11 PM in response to zamentor

You might note in my original post that I said the problem is not Universal Access. By that you may have inferred that I had tried that route. The scroll button works when it wants to. Just now I can scroll down but not up; sometimes I can scroll up but not down; at other times it was stuck both directions. The lady at the Mac store said to clean it. I do that. I shake it. Sometimes it works. If I have to replace this mouse, it probably won't be with the Apple product. By the way, there is no Universal Access in Mountain Lion. It's simplh Accessibility .

Aug 8, 2013 2:35 PM in response to AliWonder

OK - a mighty mouse has a scroll ball - a magic mouse has no scroll ball. The confused posts about a wheel or ball when talking about a magic mouse are making me nuts. The genetleman who mentionned things about the universal Access is right.

HOWEVER you must choose "universal access -> mouse -> options" once the MAGIC mouse is operating and in control of the cursor. If you are trying to find this mysterious button using your mighty mouse it will never show up. Universal access is smart enough to know which kind of mouse or trackpad is connected and what options apply.

GO backl turn on your magic mouse then access universal access and rinse and repeat ...

'Magic' mouse does not scroll

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.