Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

zagg keyboard won't stay connected to Ipad2

I have an Ipad2 and a zaggfolio case and bluetooth keyboard, for my son to use this year in 5th grade. Both are new, in fact zagg has already done a warranty replacement and the replacement has the same problem. I have successfully paired the keyboard with the Ipad, but it won't stay connected. Sometimes the connection lasts the whole day, sometimes just an hour. The Ipad has the most recent operating software installed, and both the Ipad and the keyboard are fully charged.

I can 'solve' the problem by turning off bluetooth, turning off the keyboard, then turning both back on... and so could my kid. But that is a couple of minutes lost, potentially several times a day... which in a crowded classroom setting, in a rush, and when he is already the oddball for using a keyboard, it could be a dealbreaker.

Has anyone else had this problem? Is it fixable? or is it just a 'suck it up, that's the way bluetooth is' kind of thing?

thanks!

iPad 2 Wi-Fi, iOS 5.1.1, zaggfolio

Posted on Jul 26, 2012 8:05 AM

45 replies

Jul 26, 2012 11:24 AM in response to designerjulia

How do you mean loses its connection? My keyboard will go to sleep on me when i'm not using it. ALl I have to do to wake it up is, as i'm getting ready to type, hit a key, any key, give it about 5 seconds and it's ready to go.

Do you mean that the keyboard sleeps or that you have to go into the menu and re-pair them?

If it's sleeping, then that's what it does, other wise your battery would last just days (and what every wireless keyboard and mouse does honestly), but if it unpairs, then there is an issue because it shouldn't do that.

Jul 26, 2012 12:15 PM in response to Skydiver119

Hi Skydiver, thank you for replying!

It is not the sleep mode, unfortunately. About half the time, I can wake it up by hitting a key and waiting a few seconds before entering the passcode... and you are right, that is the way it is supposed to work.

The rest of the time it loses the connection... meaning, after entering the passcode onscreen, I go to Settings > General > Bluetooth and it says the Zagg keyboard is not connected. Zagg insists is it not a problem with the keyboard itself (maybe, since both keyboards have experienced the same problem.) I don't think it is the Ipad itself (also new). Which leaves the IOS (?) version (the latest) or some unknown gremlin.

ugh. any suggestions would be welcome!

Jul 26, 2012 1:47 PM in response to designerjulia

Mine is ipad 2 with the latest OS, 5.1.1

My zagg keyboard is just a few months old

it is possible there is something wrong with the bluetooth on the device. That it doesn't stay on like it's supposed to.

You can try restting it. HOlding down the sleep and home keys, past when you see the power down slider and until you see the silver apple and let it reboot. Might clear up any glitches. and it's harmless to your iPad.

If it's still under warranty you might make an appointment at your local apple store and see if they have any diagnostics for bluetooth, see if it's turning off when it's not supposed to.

the only tihng i really noticed about my keyboard is the inconsistency in it staying on. Sometimes for minutes, sometimes for half an hour or more without having to be woken up.

There might be some kind of power saver setting that's turning the wrong thngs off at bad times.

Mar 10, 2013 12:28 PM in response to designerjulia

One commenter above suggested it was a user fault: failure to charge the keyboard or allow it a few seconds to wake up from sleep. But the problem is a design flaw with the Zagg Portfolio keyboard. While you are typing, the bluetooth loses connection every few seconds or minutes. To reconnect you have to turn the keyboard off then on again. Sometimes the keyboard infinitely repeats your last stroke, so if your last stroke was a delete the thing rapidly eats whatever you just wrote until you shut if off. If your last stroke was a letter T then it keeps printing T's until you shut it off. There is no manufacturer's solution to these failures of the keyboard. Zagg should have done a recall of the entire generation of defective product, but instead they seem to have chosen to downplay the fact that there is a systemic flaw in the keyboard. I do a lot of writing and I love typing on the Zagg keyboard, but the constant failures are like Chinese water torture, maddening constant irritation. I have read that the new versions of the Zagg have corrected this problem. But if buying a new Zagg how do you know you're not just getting another defective older model? On Amazon and on Zagg's website there is no clear distinction made. The new models should be clearly advertised as "bluetooth problem fixed", but that would require admitting the earlier models had a systemic problem. Maybe they're still selling a stockpile of the old defective models. The keyboards currently being offered for sale look identical to the defective model I'm using. I went to Amazon and to Zagg's website planning to buy a new model with the problem fixed, but I can't tell which are the new models and which is just another failure like I'm typing with right now, which has stopped working, eaten my text, and repeated keystrokes 6 or 7 times while I was writing this comment. This is not an "occassional" nuisance. It is a constant problem. So how can I know which Zagg keyboard is a new model with the problem fixed? Because as soon as I acquire a non-defective version of Zagg I am taking my sledghammer to this one.

Mar 10, 2013 12:56 PM in response to derryljh

I'm not saying you're not having issues, but I've had a zagg keyboard for over a year had haven't experienced anything like you've stated. So while there may be a problem, it's not a universal one.

I will also say, when my folio's cover started to separate from its plastic shell, I e-mailed them and asked how to repair it, they said 'isn't it still under warranty? Here send it in' which is what I did.

So my experience has been a very pleasant one and it's a product I use every day and would recommend to anyone.

Mar 10, 2013 1:34 PM in response to Skydiver119

skydiver,

I'm using an iPad2 purchased new in December 2011, and the Zagg portfolio that was also the most recent at that time: I think this is the original version of the Zagg portfolio, the black case. Are you using the same setup? Or do you have the second generation Zagg? Or an iPad1 or iPad3? I just read e (at this point my Zagg lost connection. The keyboard was dead, the iPad keyboard came onscreen, and I had to turn the Zagg off and on to regain connection). I just read elsewhere that it could be a software compatibility issue between the iPad software and the Zagg keyboard or bluetooth. So I shut off my Zagg, rebooted the iPad (software is up to date), deleted the Zagg from the iPad's bluetooth, then turned the Zagg back on and rediscovered it and re-paired it with the iPad. I opened a new iPad Note and started typing to see how long it would go without failing. In two long paragrpahs it didn't do any infinite key repeats of letters or deletes, but it lost connection once. Unlike the usual instances where I have to manually switch it off and on to reconnect, it regained connection itself after a second or two. Then I went to email and saw you had replied to my comment, and I started typing here, and had one failure noted above. This is much better than the 6 or 7 failures I had while writing the original comment, before I did the reboot and re-pairing of the bluetooth. Maybe the reboot/re-pairing helped. Or maybe I'll be back to the same old problems after a bit more use.

Regarding warranty: one guy in the discussion said Zagg replaced his defective unit with another unit that had the same defect. I only paid $100 for the Zagg and even if the unit was still under warranty, for $100 I'm not going to bother wrapping up and mailing off the keyboard hoping to get lucky with a different unit. Reading of other user issues I came to the conclusion that the problem is systemic. But I also read that the newer Zagg version had solved or at least reduced the problems that I and others have with our """""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""" (there's an example of infinite repeat: I shut the Zagg off to stop it) "old" Zaggs. I'd appreciate hearing from you whether you are using the same version of iPad2 and original Zagg that I am using.

Mar 10, 2013 2:00 PM in response to derryljh

I have an iPad 2 bought in 2011 and a Zagg keyboard bought either late 2011 or early 2012. Dunno what generation that is.

All I can say is contact the company and give them a chance to make things right. Tell them your concerns and see what they'll do.

If you have access to another bluetooth keyboard, give it a try. See if the pairing dropping happens with different keyboards or just yours. might help narrow down the issue.

Jun 4, 2013 3:41 AM in response to designerjulia

I'm experiencing precisely the same behaviour with a Belkin keyboard paired to a new iPad, so I'm less convinced Zagg's at fault. Looking around Google, there seems to be a lot of commentary about a buggy Bluetooth implementation in the latest iOS.

What I see is two separate conditions, one designed in, one surely not:

(a) Bluetooth symbol greys out during a pause in typing. If I initiate typing again by touching the screen, the soft k/b comes up, and I need to press a key on the belkin to fire up the link again (takes a second or three).

(b) Bluetooth symbol disappears, and visiting the Bluetooth setting shows 'not paired' and infinite spinning wheel when attempting to reconnect, or a helpful dialog box suggesting I check the device is on and in range (when it's in the same case and the pairing light on the k/b is winking away). (B) is a persistent and frustrating condition ... I'm typing this onscreen, despite having a great keyboard right here).

I'm hoping someone in here has the answer - where I'm looking is for bug fixes in the iPad Bluetooth implementation.

Jun 28, 2013 10:53 PM in response to MrHibbert

I was having the same problem i.e. Zagg Profolio+ won't stay paired to iPad. IPad 2purchased Fall 2012. Profolio+ purchased April 2013. Worked fine for weeks, including pairingwithiPhone4S. No, I'm not going to fix the lack of proper spacing. Guess ill just revert to my Mac Air and use the iPad and Zagg as paperweights. Now it won't even pair at all, even after rebooting etc. so frustrating.

Nov 4, 2013 7:33 PM in response to designerjulia

All ... i'm having the same issue with Zagg ProFolio BT keyboard loosing BT connection with iPad. Seems this happened with latest IOS update. I had another Zagg keyboard prior to the IOS update on my iPad and it (keyboard + iPad) worked fine. No dropping the connection issue. Apple needs to do some 'splainin'.

AAMOF ... i also notice that my iPad WiFi connection keeps dropping when i try to use the BT keyboard. Didn't happen prior to the latest IOS update.

zagg keyboard won't stay connected to Ipad2

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.