Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Need Airport Utilities 5.6/5.6.1 for Mountain Lion - A link please ?

Hello,

I'm trying to install Airport Utilities for my fresh Mountain Lion clean install... for my Airport extreme 1st Generation

But when i tried to install 5.6 version for Lion, i got an error message (this software is uncompatible with ML or something like that)

http://support.apple.com/fr_FR/downloads/#peripherals

Can someone point me a link to the goor Airport utilities for Mountain Lion ?

Thankyou

Cedric

Posted on Jul 26, 2012 11:10 AM

36 replies

Jul 26, 2012 3:39 PM in response to Bob Timmons

Same problem for me, i had to manual extract the Airport Utilities 5.6 from the .pkg...

You can also copy it from your Lion install...

It work perfectly... And i have access to all the useful functions (Wifi connection monitor, Printer sharing (very useful if you don't have your printer driver), etc...

I think if Moutain Lion block the installation of Airport Utilities 5.6, it's because Airport Utilities 6.0 is deeply integrated to the Airport Menu...

Ced

Jul 27, 2012 6:31 AM in response to maxelrod

at your service

🙂

I just don't understand, why apple is removing useful options(inside the system : websharing; ftp sharing, activity function in safari window menu, and inside our tools, wifi connected list, printer sharing, etc)... It's Macos, with only one version for all users, not Windows, with home version, pro version, ultimate version, etc...

I think Apple is changing and follow the Microsoft path... Osx Server which was another System became an add to Mountain Lion not expansive 15euros, but they have naked OSX...

Jul 27, 2012 10:24 AM in response to justin_case

justin_case wrote:

I can't believe Apple is not supporting the older Airport Express'. I have six of these, so they expect me to update to the new ones at $99 each????

Hopefully they will re-think this, but knowing apple, I doubt it...****...

This thread is about using an older version Airport Utility (for those of us that want to tinker behind the scenes a little more is all).

So not to worry, the lastest Airport Utility (v6.1 that comes with OS X 10.7.x and 10.8) supports Airport Express, Airport Extreme and Time Capsules of all ages.

Jul 27, 2012 11:30 AM in response to richsadams

Sorry I posted incorrectly...

BTW: The newest Airport Util release doesn't support the older AExpress...and 5.6 won't load on MLion...

Message when selecting the older AE:

This version of AirPort Utility doesn't support this base station. Use AirPort Utility 5.6 to configure or manage this base station. AirPort Utility 5.6 is available at AirPort Service and Support.

Not happy...and at a loss of what to do. I guess I eaither get another MAC and run Lion or restore back to Lion...

Jul 27, 2012 11:54 AM in response to justin_case

I stand corrected...that's the first I've heard that v6.1 of Airport Utility doesn't support an older Airport Express. That's not good.

Do you have a backup from Lion (Time Machine or otherwise)? Per my earlier note you can just restore it to your Mt. Lion install and be good to go.

I haven't tried using Pacifist as fced recommended, but I know a lot of folks swear by it so if all else fails you could give that a go.

Best of luck and let us know how things turn out!

Aug 2, 2012 11:43 PM in response to fced

It is indeed very unfortunate that Apple has chosen to not to build Airport Utility 6.1 with the functionality of 5.6.1 rolled in to control older Airport Express units. It is obvious that the ApEx devices all work just fine under Lion/Mountain Lion when configured with AU 5.6.1.

Summarizing and adding a little to the discussion, here are the simple steps to take to get your older Airport Express units working under Lion/Mountain Lion at the moment:

(1) go download a copy of Apple Airport Utility 5.6.1 from CNET Download.com (Google for it) - it's hard to find on Apple's own software updates pages

(2) download Pacifist 3.0.8 from charlessoft.com and install it

(3) run Pacifist to get ONLY the Airport Express 5.6.1 app out of the installer package you downloaded. Don't worry about any of the other supporting files in the package installer. Put 5.6.1 on your Desktop and rename it with "561" or something like that after its name, and then drag it to your Utilities folder. You will need to authenticate several times under MLion. Whatever you do, make sure not to overwrite (delete) your Airport Utility 6.x.

(4) run 561 and do your thing. If it works right, consider doing step 5:

(5) go support Shareware and send $20 via Kagi for the use of Pacifist to register it in your name for future use. Disclosure: I have absolutely no connection to Pacifist, charlessoft, or the developer.

What I described above is exactly what I just did a few minutes ago on my 2011 MacBook Pro 15 under Mountain Lion 10.8 with an Airport Express I use for streaming my iTunes music in my outside kitchen.

take care all. and keep fingers crossed that Apple will fix up AU 6.x in the future to continue support of our most excellent and still useful Airport Expresses b, g, and n.

Need Airport Utilities 5.6/5.6.1 for Mountain Lion - A link please ?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.