Previous 1 2 3 Next 330 Replies Latest reply: Apr 12, 2013 8:34 PM by CrN. Branched to a new discussion.
erwincoumans Level 1 Level 1

I've been using Mountain Lion for a while, and regularly I get a black screen, right after the login screen (after entering the password).

Often I have to reboot several times until it boots properly.

It is not clear when or why it happens: it could be some 3rd party code (gfxCardStatus, CUDA 5.0 sdk, steer mouse, Microsoft Intellimouse driver?) or something else.

Does anyone else have a similar issue?

• Nicola Scarselli Level 1 Level 1

Having same problem, any help on this?

Cheers

• RupertWarries Level 1 Level 1

Same here, just posted my own question should have searched!

As a side note, I also run GFXCardStatus and Lion drivers for a wacom bamboo, not sure if either are causing the issue, but when BOTH are uninstalle, I cant seem to replicate it.

GFXCardStatus seemed to cause it more often, but dont hold me to it, im still trying to nail it down

• dr_insomniac Level 1 Level 1

Similar thing here, the screen was dark but the backlight was still on.  Also, Aperture, iPhoto, and a couple of other apps were either non-responsive or didn't work correctly when the screen was lit  (gfxcardstatus was one of them).  After a couple of re-boots thing seemed to have settled down.

Ok, so after uninstalling GFXCardStatus AND my Wacom Bamboo driver, I cannot make the machine do it, it just wont hang.  Which is great.

But.

I need the Wacom working...

So it looks like a software/driver incompatibility issue.

Guess I'll have to suck up and take the restarts >:(

• dr_insomniac Level 1 Level 1

I also disabled gfxcardstatus and changed a couple of other settings.  Since things have settled down I re-activated gfxcardstatus and everything is still okay.

• Nicola Scarselli Level 1 Level 1

In my case Little Snitch seems to be the culprit! Happy ML user now.

• erwincoumans Level 1 Level 1

I tried uninstalling several of my self-installed drivers/custom software, removed gfxCardStatus, no SteerMouse, Intellimouse, rEFit boot, but it is still happening.

If I disable graphics switching it stops happening (System Preferences/Energy Saver/Enable automatic graphics switching). But then it will be using the discrete (NVIDIA) gpu all the time.

Hopefully we figure out a better way or cross the fingers for an update soon to fix this black screen issue.

I reported the bug in the bug tracker, Bug ID# 11974116.

• sebastian brabetz Level 1 Level 1

Same problem here. I only run gfxCardStatus but i guess this is some kind of gpu switching driver issue.

Maybe just a glitch in the brand new hardware design/drivers that gets fixed with a patch.

I would suggest filing a bug report with apple. The more they receive the faster they will act

• Alex Neal Level 1 Level 1

Same issue.

Pretty frustrating. The only thing I'm running is gfx card status. Out of interest, how many people did a complete fresh instal, and how many did an upgrade?

I only updgraded. Wonder if that's the problem.

Might try uninstalling gfx, and reinstal to see if it helps.

• binaryflow Level 1 Level 1

In my case, the black screen after login issue has only been occuring when using the 1920x1200 resolution, but this may be coincidental. More importantly, I can reproduce the issue on a clean install mountain lion setup after a few restarts, only switching to 1920x1200 first. As already observed by others, disabeling automatic graphics switching resolves the problem, but of course this can not be considered a solution. We all want to have that great battery life. Let's hope that Apple will take notice of this issue quickly and bring a fix that will resolve this.

• motorcrash Level 1 Level 1

I'm in the same boat as binaryflow.  I do not have any of the above applications installed, but am running at 1920x1200 resolution.  I just finished upgrading to ML and ran the retina updates about an hour ago and had to restart three times to get to the desktop.  I have not attempted a clean install (or done much troubleshooting at this point).

• sebastian brabetz Level 1 Level 1

I guess im happy that this is an general issue. Apple will fix it by replacing the hardware or releasing a patch eventually.

• CJSpoorman Level 1 Level 1

I also have the black screen problem on my Macbook pro retina. i login and get a black screen. have to reboot to get it normal again. i only have mountain lion installed no additional software yet so i cant be any 3rd party software that might cause it....

Previous 1 2 3 Next