Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Blue tinted screen after mountain lion

Ever since i installed Mountain Lion the display on my 2010 15' MBP gets a blue tint, and its ONLY when i open the Chrome browser.

once i close the browser the color on the screen reverts to normal.

this has never happened to my MBP prior to Mountain Lion.

heres a screencap

User uploaded file

iPhone 4S, iOS 5.1

Posted on Aug 5, 2012 5:45 AM

79 replies

Aug 28, 2012 1:40 AM in response to ndada

Umputun's tip works, but only as long as you turn off "Automatic graphics switching" every time that you reboot. (Thanks Umputun for the tip!)

It looks like an error with the gamma correction, which is how the graphics card displays your image - it doens't actually impact the stored image. That means that your screen capture will look normal to anyone who isn't having this problem. 😉

Basically, if you turn off "Automatic graphics switching" before you boot, the discrete graphics card will be correctly initialized on boot. Then you can turn "Automatic graphics switching" back on, and you won't have the problem until the next time you reboot. I've tested, and this workaround continues to work even after sleeping and awakening my computer.

For whatever reason, the integrated graphics card is always initialized with the correct gramma settings, but the discrete graphics card is only correctly initialized when "Automatic graphics switching" is turned off. I didn't have this problem when using Lion, so it's definitely an error with Mountain Lion. Hopefully 10.8.2 will fix this.

Aug 28, 2012 2:15 AM in response to John in Paris

You can try gfxCardStatus - as I noted in another thread - and won't need to reboot. As I said in the other thread, I had this problem early on - in a developer's release of ML - but one day (still using developer releases) it just went away. I've no idea why. I didn't report it as a bug because I thought that I was the only one having the problem. But then I found others posting both here and in the Adobe Photoshop users forum. Try gfxCardStatus and see if it will temporarily fix the problem.

Clinton

Sep 28, 2012 11:11 PM in response to John in Paris

10.8.2 is the first & only version of Mountain Lion I've installed, and I'm having this problem with 2011 MBP now with Photoshop, which obviously makes it utterly unusable, and with Citrix Viewer (but eerily enough, only Citrix Viewer opened via Firefox, and not the same Citrix Viewer/server combos opened via Safari!).

Lots of previous posts and threads mentioned 10.8.1 fixing the problem, but this is a brand new 10.8.2 download.

I don't like the sound of something I have to do with every reboot, since I need to reboot often for security/encryption reasons. If I turn off "Automatic graphics Switching", I will not remember to turn it back on. What happens if it is off and an application really needs the switch?

Sep 29, 2012 7:55 AM in response to Donot Haveone

And that worked....weirdly enough, the gfxcardstatus install seemed to stop the color hijack even when I let the dynamic switching remain on, and I went through my list of things that provoked the dreaded blueing previously--open a file in Photoshop (CS5); open Citrix viewer windows from Firefox. The switches happened, but there was no color hijacking. Cool. Time to go donate to the person who made this, and give Apple some a little piece of my mind about the lameness of Mountain Lion on this at Apple.com/feedback.

If you're reading this far because you have this issue too, add to the feedback: it can't hurt if they get lots and lots of the same complaint, and it helps them know its not my computer and the crazy stuff I downloaded off the internet....

Blue tinted screen after mountain lion

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.