Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

My "Not Junk" button is missing

I bought my Macbook Pro a few days before upgrading to Mountain Lion so I don't know if this is an old problem. I've been satisfied with the Mail app with one exception. When mail shows up in a spam folder (using Gmail) incorectly, I can't figure out how to mark it as "not junk". Accordng to mail help there should be a thumbs up icon available to do this, but I've tried customizing the toolbar and the icon isn't there, and it doesn't appear as a menu option.

Any suggestions short of reading my email in a browser? I use several email addresses so thats a big hassle.

MacBook Pro

Posted on Aug 8, 2012 10:10 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 8, 2012 10:38 AM

Move the Thumbs down icon to the menubar, it'll change to thumbs up when you're on a junk mail.

39 replies

Jan 19, 2013 11:42 AM in response to Janice2247

Looks to me like what happens is if *Mail* does not mark the message as junk, but it winds up in the junk mail folder somehow because something else -- Gmail in my case -- puts it there, then the "not junk" button is missing. Also the message does not have apple's little junk icon next to it. Therefore the thumbs up/down icon in the menubar shows as "down". If the message is then selected, and then you click the thumbsdown icon, the icon changes to thumbsup, the message is marked with the junk icon, AND the "not junk" button appears. This is a bit of an ugly workaround which apple should fix if they can -- say by marking every message that ends up in the junk folder as junk, no matter how it got there. One more "Mail doesn't really play nice with Gmail" issue.

Jan 20, 2013 11:33 PM in response to Jeffrey Jones2

Exactly. I strongly suspect that earlier questioners on this thread had managed to messages into the junk mailbox in a way that circumvented Mail having put it there. Therefore Mail had not marked it as junk. Therefore, like you say, there was seemingly nothing for Mail to learn by telling Mail that the message was "not junk", so no button. This is where coordinating Mail with Gmail gets tricky. In my case I have things set up so that what Gmail thinks is spam ends up in my junk mailbox. Could I just pass everything through from Gmail to Mail and let Mail alone do the junk/spam filtration?

Jul 14, 2013 10:46 AM in response to sph2

I am having the same problem. I am receiving junk mail that bypasses Apple's junk mail filtering and goes directly to my inbox. I cannot select "Mark As Junk" because the only icon available is "Mark As Not Junk" and you cannot add the Thumbs Down "Mark As Junk" button from the options menu. This is really irritating as I have to manually move all of these to my junk mail folder and it will not train Apple's junk mail filtering to catch them. This is some nasty spam that is getting through the spam headers AND tripping up Apple mail's junk mail tagging. And forwarding these as attachments to spam@me.com does nothing. I have done that for years and Apple doesn't do anything about treating spam seriously like they claim. Really frustrated with Apple mail and spam.

Jul 14, 2013 1:14 PM in response to Janice2247

Hi Janice2247,

If you mean this folder:-

User uploaded file

Then it is not On your Mac and not subject to the Mail app's Junk Filter.

For this you will have to visit Google Mail web Login page and check how to "Unjunk" a Sender permanently as well as seeing if it can be "taught' about the Spam you want to filter.

User uploaded file
9:14 PM Sunday; July 14, 2013

 iMac 2.5Ghz 5i 2011 (Mountain Lion 10.8.4)
 G4/1GhzDual MDD (Leopard 10.5.8)
 MacBookPro 2Gb (Snow Leopard 10.6.8)
 Mac OS X (10.6.8),
 Couple of iPhones and an iPad
"Limit the Logs to the Bits above Binary Images."  No, Seriously

Jul 14, 2013 2:05 PM in response to Barney-15E

ONCE AGAIN:

I cannot teach it by marking as junk because it only allows you to mark it as "Not Junk." You cannot add the "Mark As Junk" button in toolbar options.

What I am saying is that this is some kind of "Smart Spam" that is using some kind of coding to circumvent Apple's spam mail headers and makes it so you cannot mark it as junk by ANY means. You can only drag it manually to your junk folder. It will NOT teach. THAT'S the entire point. It's malicious spam. Apple should be looking into this but they won't. I've been forwarding this stuff to them as attachments for months.

I have even tried setting up rules to catch the spam and apply them and that doesn't work either. They keep randomizing the e-mail domains so it will circumvent any "Rules" you set up. Again, this is some sneaky and malicious spam. Apple should be looking into this.

Jul 14, 2013 2:19 PM in response to Ralph-Johns-UK

Opps.

I should have said this is the IMAP server I am using at GoogleMail and not their POP service.

And for that reason the Spam is NOT local and is not put through the Mail app's Junk Filters.

User uploaded file
10:19 PM Sunday; July 14, 2013

 iMac 2.5Ghz 5i 2011 (Mountain Lion 10.8.4)
 G4/1GhzDual MDD (Leopard 10.5.8)
 MacBookPro 2Gb (Snow Leopard 10.6.8)
 Mac OS X (10.6.8),
 Couple of iPhones and an iPad
"Limit the Logs to the Bits above Binary Images."  No, Seriously

Jul 14, 2013 5:18 PM in response to Darth Bastard

If it only allows you to mark it as "Not Junk," then it is already marked as Junk. There is only one button. If the selected message isn't marked as Junk, then you can mark it as junk with that one, single button.

If it is marked as junk, the name and action of the button changes to allow you to mark the selected message as Not Junk.

Here is the button when a message that is not junk is selected:

User uploaded file

Here is the exact, same button as shown with a message selected that has been marked as junk:

User uploaded file

The only way the button will toggle to "Mark selected message as Not Junk" is if the message is already marked as junk.

Whether it is moving the messages to the Junk folder or not, something is actually catching and marking the email as spam. You might try resetting the junk mail filter in the Mail preferences, Junk Mail tab.

Jul 14, 2013 5:32 PM in response to Barney-15E

No. You are NOT listening to what I am saying! It is NOT already marked as junk. It is going directly to my iCloud Inbox. I can only mark it as "Not Junk." There is no way to mark it as junk! I have been getting about 20 spam messages per day like this and it is annoying. Thing is not all junk mail is affected. Some are caught by Apple's filtering and marked as junk and go directly to my junk mail folder but the rest I have to manually move them to my junk mail folder. They are circumventing Apple's junk mail filtering or any rules I try to apply. I'll say it again, you CANNOT mark them as junk nor are they already marked as junk. It's some kind of malicious spam that is evading Apple's mail and changing the attributes in Apple mail. I have even deleted my mailboxes and rebuilt them, doesn't help.

My "Not Junk" button is missing

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.