Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

512 SSD

Hi all,

I'm thinking of upgrading my 128GB SSD on my MBP 15" late 2011 to a 512GB SSD.

From what I read, Samsung and Vertex 4 are apparently the top ones - please correct me if I'm wrong - and as both sit in the same price range these days, which one you would recommend to go with?

Cheers

MacBook Pro, Mac OS X (10.7.3)

Posted on Aug 20, 2012 5:56 AM

58 replies

Aug 20, 2012 1:46 PM in response to shahabz

shahabz wrote:

Could someone please list the brands in a ranking order from top down?

Cheers

OCZ Vertex 4 and Samsung 830 Series are good SSD.

the vertex is faster in some areas and the samsung is faster in some so basically the performance is similiar.

Currently - The fastest one out there, as to reviews - is the Sandisk Extreme, Kingston HyperX and OCZ. Followed by the Samsung 830 Series, Plextor M3. Again just going with reviews out there.

I'm more partial to the Kingston HyperX and Crucial M4 since I own both.

If you want speed - then go with the Sandisk Extreme 480GB.

If you want speed and good battery life - then go with the Samsung 830 series.

And if you feel like reading 12 Pages - Click here.

Aug 20, 2012 9:32 PM in response to Bimmer 7 Series

One thing that should be taken also into account is the TRIM aspect. In the traditional SSD architecture, if the TRIM commands are not issued, performance will degrade until it is no better and maybe even worse than an HDD. And there is the probability that device longevity will be diminished since uniform cell aging won't be guaranteed.

SSDs with Apple firmware cause the OS to enable TRIM automatically. Least we could expect, after that assault on your wallet! As for the rest, there seem to be three possibilities. The SSD is a stock "traditional" unit and you have to install a third party utility to force TRIM outta the OS. The controller on the SSD auto-TRIM-s itself. Or the manufacturer has included a different garbage collection and utilization strategy that obviates the use of TRIM. These last two cases mean you need not do anything else except stick the device into your Mac. But you will have to make sure to identify which case applies to your new SSD.

Aug 20, 2012 10:25 PM in response to Courcoul

Thanks Courcoul,

But the problem is I don't even know what TRIM is!!

I'm totally new to Mac and I'm just a heavy user using Parallels for My CAD and 3D Modelings and on Mac OS I run photoshop and some music programs.

I now need more space to install more plug-ins and softwares for my Logic Pro.

Battery life is also very important to me; I don't know why my battery is not lasting more than 2 hours at the moment??!!???? is something wrong with it perhaps?

Cheers

Aug 20, 2012 10:31 PM in response to shahabz

You can download Trim Enabler after you install your SSD. Download - install - turn it on - then forget about it.

With regards to your battery issue - with no apps running in the backgound, open activity monitor and under all processes - see what's using most of your CPU's resources under the % CPU section - anything over 10% will cause your battery to drain faster.

if you're not using bluetooth - turn it off.

set your screen brightness to 50%

turn off automatic brightness control

see what's loading in your login items - if you don't need it, delete it.

and because you're running Parallels - that also consumes your battery life...

Aug 20, 2012 11:09 PM in response to shahabz

The only bad thing about TRIM Enabler is that you have to re-apply the patch whenever a new software revision comes out - so remember just to keep it on hand whenever there's a revision.

The SSD you buy is up to you - I like my Crucial m4 512GB but there are some faster drives available (as had been noted in this thread). I haven't suffered any battery loss due to SSD use... but I know that even though I get outstanding test results, there are speedier drives. Before you buy any drive I would make sure that there are satisfied Mac users using the drive (if the drive you want is available at Amazon, for instance, peruse the reviews). And make sure that the manufacturer has a users forum that you can visit should you have any problems.

Good luck,

Clinton

512 SSD

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.