Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

XRD Software Update

Since my update to Mountain Lion, I get a icon poping up in the dock for a few seconds the first time I wake the computer up each day.

It has the lable XRD software update, now I never saw this on my previous OS Snow Leopard and have no idea what it is.

Is this part of ML, and if not how do I find out what it is and if I have anything to worry about.

Mark

iMac, OS X Mountain Lion, iMac11,1 Intel Core i7 12GB Ram

Posted on Aug 25, 2012 1:32 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 25, 2012 6:21 AM

Do you have any X-ray Diffraction software installed?

22 replies

Sep 11, 2012 4:07 AM in response to Acetone.

I'm certain this *doesn't* have anything to do with calibration software, as I'm getting the same app popping up and locking up my new MacBook Air, the day after I update it to Moutain Lion. I've barely installed any software since buying the machine a few months ago (only CS6, really), and a few different searches don't even find any files on the machine with 'XRD' in the title, yet up it popped again this morning.

This is clearly something that has been installed along with Mountain Lion...

Sep 11, 2012 7:55 AM in response to danrubin

I don't think I'd go so far as to completely rule out the calibration software as per @danrubin's post above. Absence of evidence and evidence of absence and all that 🙂

User uploaded file

The screenshot above shows the X-Rite updater "XRD Software Update" at

/Library/Application Support/X-Rite/Frameworks/XRiteDevice.framework/Versions/B/Resources/

And this is precisely the app that was locked up (via lsof and friends). There certainly may be other problems / programs w/ XRD updaters but in my personal case, this file was the culprit, and I suspect it is for others who have the X-Rite software installed.

Sep 11, 2012 8:25 AM in response to flipfromsaratoga

@flipfromsaratoga Fair enough 🙂 A more accurate comment from my end would have been along the lines of "I haven't installed X-Rite, yet I'm still seeing that exact same application launch and freeze my Mac"

Now that you've managed to track that down, I've located the same directory — is it possible that it *was* installed with CS6, or possibly with OS X? Not sure why Spotlight didn't report finding it, though I rarely use Spotlight so I don't know all its ins and outs...

Sep 11, 2012 4:56 PM in response to danrubin

It was not installed by OS X.

Spotlight doesn't search system folders by default. You can start a Finder search in a system folder (or the Macintosh HD) or you can set it to search for System Files by adding the criteria to the criteria popup menu. Select Other… and scroll down to System Files. Check the box to keep it in the menu.

Nov 8, 2013 6:31 AM in response to Acetone.

This problem started for me when I installed Pantone's Color Manager software, which would make sense, since they own Xrite or vice versa. Once a day -- every morning, at about the same time I installed the software [coincidence?] -- it asks me for access to my keychain. I de-activated the Pantone software, but that didn't fix the problem. Now that I've found this posting, I'll dig around and see if I can't root out that little bugger.

XRD Software Update

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.