Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Camera on MacBook not working

Hi guys,

lately the built-in camera on my macbook pro hasn't been working properly: at first it works normally then after a while it stops (the green light stays on) and when I open photo booth or other programmes it says "camera not connected", how can I fix this?

Thanks

[Re-Titled by Host]

MacBook Pro (13-inch Mid 2010), OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.1)

Posted on Sep 10, 2012 8:59 AM

63 replies

Aug 4, 2017 11:59 AM in response to paola_de

I have the same issue.

Tried the sudokill thing. Got a message that No matching processes detected.

The System Information-->Hardware -->Camera-- shows that no video capture devices detected.

Reset the SMC also. Ran the disk utility as well.

No use. Nothing turns on the camera.

Apple support was not of any help either. Just pointed me to a Apple service shop. 😟

I am running Sierra on my Macbook Pro 13 inch retina.

Any solution in sight guys? This is driving me nuts here

Oct 2, 2017 2:07 AM in response to paola_de

I have MacBook Pro late 2011. I didn't use the camera for a long time so I cannot tell exactly when it stopped working.

Symptoms: when I open FaceTime, Skype or any other camera-related apps, the green led appears but the black screen is shown. Sometimes the camera captures a single frame and I see my image, but it's not updating. Sometimes the camera updates the image once per few seconds, and in rare cases I see a green screen. I have Sierra, the camera is shown in my Hardware:

FaceTime HD Camera (Built-in):

Model ID: UVC Camera VendorID_1452 ProductID_34057

sudo killall VDCAssistant didn't help. Resetting SMC and PRAM didn't help as well. Any suggestions? Thanks.

Sep 10, 2012 9:38 AM in response to paola_de

One of these will fix your problem:

(1) If restarting your Mac doesn't fix the problem,

(2) use Apple's http://support.apple.com/kb/HT2090.

(BTW - Apple has changed the built-in camera's name on newer Macs from "iSight" to "FaceTime" and then to "FaceTime HD." Regardless of the name of your built-in camera, the same info and troubleshooting applies.)

Be sure to test more than one Apple app in more than one user account. Do NOT use the "Guest" account for this test. If you do not have more than one user account for the testing, create a new one now. If you need help, here's how to do it in your Mac OS: http://support.apple.com/kb/PH11468 (A "Standard" account is all you need for testing.)

(3) If your cam still does not work properly, use Disk Utility to repair permissions. Then download and apply the latest Combo Update for your OS. Currently, the latest ML Combo is here: http://support.apple.com/kb/DL1571

Repair permissions again immediately following the system restart that completes the update.

(4) The only other action I know that you can do on your own is to use OS X Recovery to completely reinstall your Mac OS.

(5) If none of the above suggestions resolve your trouble, contact Apple or an Apple-Authorized Service Provider to have your Mac professionally serviced.

Message was edited by: EZ Jim

Mac OSX 10.8.1

May 31, 2014 3:44 PM in response to Community User

EZ Jim, it was seen and evidenced as a problem in light of the macOS updated, soon after the warranty period had expired. The problem exists since the origin, but the condition to see the problem was made up by the MacOS (Mountain Lion) and it appeared after the change to Mavericks. This hardware fail doesn`t depends on working life, correct use to exists. A support operator sad me exactly this above and nothing has been done.

Jun 1, 2014 8:26 AM in response to juliana diehl

juliana diehl wrote: ... the problem ... appeared after the change to Mavericks... A sad me exactly this above and nothing has been done.

Thanks for that new information, juliana.

From one of your other posts, I found that you were using MacBook Pro, OS X Mavericks (10.9.2). If that system information is current, the suggestions from http://discussions.apple.com/docs/DOC-6431 should help you. After eliminating any third-party software that may be causing your trouble, pproperly applying the latest Combo version of updates or reinstalling OS X as explained there can usually correct any remaining software problems. However, if your trouble is caused by a hardware problem, there are no user serviceable parts of the camera.

If your trouble continues after your have tried everything else suggested, and even though you say you have already contacted a "support operator", Contact your Apple Authorized Service Provider or Apple's MacBook Pro Support for help. If the "support operator" you talk with next says he cannot help you, ask to speak with a supervisor or manager. Someone will be able to tell you what you must do to get your Mac working again.

We will watch for your status update. After all the trouble you have encountered, we are eager to learn what actions were needed to get your Mac working properly.

Cheers,

EZ Jim

Message was edited by: EZ Jim

Mac OSX 10.9.3

Jun 3, 2014 8:54 AM in response to juliana diehl

Thank you for replying.

As I understand your response, you have discussed your issue with at least one Apple manager. You then decided not to have an Apple Service Provider work on your Mac because you do not think you should be required to pay for the needed service. I understand that you will continue to use your Mac although its camera is not working.

If I don't understand correctly, please explain what you still need to give you the information you need to decide whether to have your Mac serviced. If you have other information, I can ask the Apple Discussions Hosts to review your additional details. The Hosts may be able to find someone who can offer you other suggestions.

Camera on MacBook not working

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.