Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Ipod white screen HELP!

hey i have an ipod touch 4th gen and this morning it went to white screen and i cannot connect to my itunes because it isnt recognizing my ipod for some reason (i am guessing because of the white screen). When i try to reset my Ipod with holding lock and home button it shows me the apple then goes back to white screen. I have never encountered this problem before so I am stuck, and will this possibly result in my ipod being dead and me having to get another one.

This was coused by me trying to update to ios 6 and it just radomly stopped and wen to white screen.

iPod touch, iOS 5.1.1, Trying to update to ios 6

Posted on Sep 20, 2012 5:53 PM

23 replies

Sep 20, 2012 10:46 PM in response to Terrydevices

This has happened to mine as well when i updated it to ios6. its absolutely killed it. i cant even do the steps that mikewebb suggested cos when i reset it the screen goes white then off then back to the lit up apple screen.does anyone think if i just leave it to let it drain the battery it will maybe connect to itunes? my laptop doesnt even recognise it. gettin stressed out like

Sep 21, 2012 2:58 PM in response to Terrydevices

I've tried to put it on Recovery Mode and DFU mode and Nothing the white screen doesn't go away!! I-Tunes will not recognize my Ipod.

My I-Pod is a 64GB, and 199.00 is not bad if you are getting it replaced. BUTTTT This is not a user error so 199.00 is alot for something I didn't cause. There are many people having this same issue, Apple should be the one responsible for fixing it. My Ipod was working fine!!! The only thing I did was tried to upgrade to the IOS 6.

Sep 28, 2012 2:28 PM in response to Terrydevices

I can't believe how many people here, including myself, have the same white screen problem when we went to update to the IOS 6!!! My itunes no longer pairs with my ipod touch. I got the same response from my Apple store asking me to pay for a repair. He said it would not have been a problem if I had paid the $79 Apple ipod insurance fee when I got the device..... This was not my fault (he said he could tell it had not been dropped or water damaged). I've only had this unit for a year and a half. Not very good mileage out of this expensive apple product. I sooo wish there was something else out there that does the same as my ipod touch. I don't want a smartphone. How come we're not hearing about this in the media??? Has anyone found a way for us to fix our own devices without giving apple another cent?

Sep 30, 2012 2:55 PM in response to Terrydevices

I had the same problems: constant white screen (or sometimes white with colored lines) and iTunes would not recognize the iTouch. After much experimenting, I was finally able to recover my iTouch using the following steps:

1. Update iTunes to the latest version.

2. Allow the iTouch to fully drain. (Mine was so locked up that the 2-button hold reboot wouldn't work anymore. You might try skipping this step if yours isn't quite as angry!).

3. With iTunes running, connect the iTouch to the PC.

4. Hold both the buttons until the Apple symbol appears, THEN KEEP HOLDING until a "connect to PC" screen appears.

At this point, iTunes finally recognized it long enough to allow me to select "recover". As the update was downloading, the iTouch lost connectivity. After the download was complete, I repeated step 4 above, and was able to select recover again. Although it took a very long time, eventually the recovery completed, and iOS6 was installed.

By the way, if you are like me and did not have the latest iTunes installed, the restore process will download some version of iOS5 (instead of iOS6) then refuse to go any further after the download is complete.

Hope this helps.

Oct 1, 2012 9:25 AM in response to maxpower777

Hey maxpower, Thanks for the detailed suggestion but no go. I held the buttons for over a minute and the latest version of itunes on my computer still does not pair with the device. Guess I have to bite the bullet and get a repair from Apple for $99. Are those repairs good for the life of the device or only another year or nothing? I've had toasters and blenders (which at least could make good margaritas!!) last longer than this ipod touch!

Ipod white screen HELP!

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.