Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Siri Won't Launch Apps

I upgraded my new iPad (iPad 3) to IOS 6 and everything went well except Siri won’t launch apps. When asked say “launch Facebook” Siri responds with “it doesn’t look like you have an app named Facebook” and I get the same results when trying to launch any app. Siri works for everything else it just won’t launch apps. Any ideas? Thanks.

iPad (3rd gen) Wi-Fi, iOS 6

Posted on Sep 20, 2012 10:16 PM

39 replies

Sep 21, 2012 8:32 AM in response to DB Hans

I am having the same issue with my ipad"3" Everything else appears to work well- and whereas I can say "Siri take a message" and Siri will respond correctly and allow me to send the message- if I want to say "Launch XXXXX" (pretty much any app) I get the same error as you- "it doesn't look like you have an app named XXXXX" very frustrating- I was able to ask Siri to add a contact and she responded correctly- yet if I say "Launch Contacts" I get that error-

Sep 21, 2012 7:17 PM in response to DB Hans

Hi I've spent a few hours looking online for anyone else with this issue- nothing has changed with my ipad 3- it's really strange in that I can say something like "send message to Susan" and it takes the message and then sends it correctly- yet if I said "load and/or launch message, or contacts or anything else- I get that same stupid error- figued once the craziness slows at the Apple Stores (due to the iphone 5 release) I will just setup an appointment and see if they can figure it out- thanks for getting in touch- if you happen on a fix, please let me know- Jason

Sep 22, 2012 9:49 PM in response to jdc2012

I'm new to Siri myself, so I'm afraid someone with more Siri-Speak should chime in. For me, it just worked the first time I asked her to open something.

If you haven't done this, try a reboot. Often, rebooting cures unexplainable ills. To reboot your iPad, press and hold BOTH the power and home buttons at the SAME time for at least 10 seconds (ignore the red slider to shut down) until the Apple Logo appears, then let go of both buttons and your iPad will come back up. You won't lose any data or settings.

Sep 26, 2012 7:27 PM in response to DB Hans

Hi ***- Finally got Siri working the way it was suppose to on my ipad3.... After doing a few things suggested by the Apple Store (just verbal help without an appointment setup) I actually setup an appointment today and took my ipad into the store- basically- it required erasing everything on the ipad- and instead of doing a backup using my computer- I had everything re-populate on the ipad from "icloud" while in the store- so far everything still seems to work ok- however I have no plugged the ipad into my MacBook Pro yet- - but everything I needed on my ipad was already stored on the cloud anyway- so once I plug into my MacBook Pro and see if Siri still works correctly- we will know if something on the MacBook caused the problem-

Hope this info helps you guys- so to recap without so many words-

After spending an hour with the Apple folks- they finally did an erase on my ipad-without it being connected to my computer-

Once the ipad erased and restarted- we tested Siri and it worked fine- then I typed in my Apple ID stuff- and over an hour or so- everything that was stored on icloud gradually downloaded onto my ipad-

I'm now home- and setting up everything else- and occasionally testing Siri during the process- tomorrow I'll plug in the ipad to my MacBook Pro and see what happens after that-

Sep 26, 2012 8:37 PM in response to DB Hans

Hope this works for you- hated totally erasing everything on my ipad and waiting for everything to re-download from icloud- but as of right now- Siri still working fine- won't connect to my MacBook Pro till tomorrow- as I have a bunch of school work I need to get finished tonight- good luck- (oh- last thing) without my even asking- Apple folks told me today- while they were trying to get things to work- they would replace my ipad (as the ipad3's are less than a year old- ) if they could not get Siri working- just an FYI (was almost hoping they'd have to do that- (laughing here) ... thanks! Jason

Sep 27, 2012 9:00 AM in response to DB Hans

Good Morning folks- well this morning I connected my ipad to the MacBook Pro and itunes had me re-setup the ipad noting that it had to be syned with this computer, etc etc etc so I went ahead and followed the prompts- and Siri still works correctly! Now I have to basically re-arrange and setup all my apps, etc., again- even though I had done that in the Apple Store yesterday after iclound did the major dump onto the ipad- appears after plugging it into my computer for the first time today- I need to do that all over again- but things do appear to be working correctly- just passing this on in case it helps anyone-

Siri Won't Launch Apps

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.