Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Lost voice memos

I had a bunch of voice memos on my iphone that wouldn't sync with itunes. I didn't think anything about it and figured it was a glitch that would get fixed. Well, after installing 6.0 OS, all of my voice memos are gone. Is there a way to retrieve these? I need them back, bad!!!!!

iPhone 4 (8GB), iOS 6

Posted on Sep 21, 2012 9:20 PM

45 replies

May 14, 2017 6:47 AM in response to greggo457

I read through these. I'm using iCloud for my backup and couldn't find anything for voice memos there. On a hunch, I checked out my iTunes file, like one person suggested. I found all of the voice memos there in my home folder pathway:

Music/iTunes/iTunes Music/Voice Memos All of the customized names I had made are missing, but everything seems to be there. I've noticed that sometimes iTunes stores things in slightly different places, so it may be worth it to look around in the folders there if you don't find one named just like mine.

Sep 22, 2012 1:15 AM in response to greggo457

I was horrified to open my Voice Memos app earlier this evening and discover a distinct absence of recordings, as well. I downloaded iExplorer and, without purchasing or registering the software, was able to recover my memos from a backup.

Download here: http://www.macroplant.com/iexplorer/

Upon opening iExplorer, chose "Continue with Demo" in the bottom right corner. Chose "Backups" on the right, under "Explore." A dialog box will prompt you to "Use Last Backup" or "Refresh." Click "Use Last Backup."

From the list of folders you now see, open "MediaDomain>Media>Recordings." Your voice memos are the files of type M4A. Simply select those files and drag them into a new folder on your desktop. You can then add the files from the folder on your desktop to iTunes and make a playlist or whatever else your heart desires. The dates and times of the memos seem to be lost, but at least the recordings themselves were salvagable. Hopefully this process resolves your issue. Good luck!

Also, I think it would be in our best interest to take a lesson from this, and manually backup our recordings on a regular basis from this point forward.

Oct 7, 2012 11:33 PM in response to wintersong

I can NOT thank you enough for this. I've been interviewing family members for a book I am working on, I spent a week with my 94 very witty and very chatty grandmother...and I had all my recordings on my iPhone, in addition to a few course lectures as well. I swore I lost them all. Thanks to your posting...I was able to retrieve them all!!!

I HEART YOU wintersong!!! 😍

Oct 16, 2012 6:02 PM in response to Northern-boy

I'm also using iphone voice memos for a book I'm working onhttp://elcafehabla.wordpress.com/ and I'm religious about backing them up to my computer. But because I'm in all kinds of perilious places where my computer could get soaking wet/broken in half bouncing around a bus, I'm paranoid that I'll loose the hardware that has the recordings... I uploaded a few to Google Drive, but I'll have to pay a ton to store them all. Does anyone know if they can be uploaded to iCloud or something similar that will let me still access them if my hardware is damaged/stolen? Gracias!

Dec 28, 2012 5:00 AM in response to wintersong

Hi

Like everybody else, I have also deleted my voice memo by mistake. I was able to recover the existing voice memo which is already visible in Itune,. For some reason, it is not recovering my very important Voice memo. Could you please help me out? I tried 3 times and still I can't get to it.

Note: I am using trial version. I want to test the Iexplorer before I purchase it.

Mar 10, 2013 8:20 PM in response to natnot

Hi natnot.

I am stil having problem in getting my voice memo.

My Scenario.

1. I have recorded important discussion and synced with MacPro Itune.

2. By mistake I deleted the file in Iphone 5 and as well as MacPro.

3. Unfortunately, I did not back up in my Time Machine.

4. After reading this thread. I connected my Iphone 5 (Lates Patch) in my Linux server. I was able to locate recording folder and I can view other recordings in Iphone 5 as well as MacPro. Except my deleted voice memo.

I desperately need my file. I tried Iexplorer in mac but still not able to recover. Can you give me step by step instruction so that I can validate my steps.

Regards

From

BizStack

Lost voice memos

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.