Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Newsroom Update

Apple is introducing a new Apple Watch Pride Edition Braided Solo Loop, matching watch face, and dynamic iOS and iPadOS wallpapers as a way to champion global movements to protect and advance equality for LGBTQ+ communities. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iphone 5 no sound

HI all, I have had my new iPhone 5 now since Friday, its all been ok but a couple of times now it loses the ability to make any souns, things like when click the top right button to switch it off it used to make a 'swoosh' sound, thats has stopped, also when I get an email the phone usually makes a sound, that has stopped....and finally when I usually get a call the phone obviously rings, that has also stopped a few times and it just vibrates.

I definately dont have the phoen muted in any way, the left hand switch on the side of the phone is not set to mute or anything, and when I switch the phone off and then on again sound is restored, any idea's, asume this is either a hardware or software issue, help !!!!!!

Thanks

iPhone, iOS 6

Posted on Sep 24, 2012 1:22 PM

39 replies

Sep 24, 2012 1:47 PM in response to fourcandles2012

lol all working days are long!!

Link your Iphone up to Itunes using whichever pc/mac you use to store your iTunes music.

Click your Iphone in the far left column of Itunes, then click "summary" in the main window, this should bring up a box saying "restore", click that and setup as new iphone! Please bear in mind this will install a clean copy of iOS6 however this means you will have tp out your data, music, pictures back onto your iPhone.

Hope that helps.

Sep 24, 2012 2:55 PM in response to fourcandles2012

I have experianced the same problem with my iPhone 5 a couple of times now since Friday. I noticed when I unlocked the phone I got no sound from the slider and no sound when I typed in my passcode. I first thought I had the mute enabled, tried switching that off and on, still nothing, tried launching a game, still nothing. The only thing that seems to fix it is to power off the phone completely. When it boots back up it's working again. Therefore I'm pretty sure it's software related. I just hope Apple fixes it soon, kinda annoying when it happens.

Sep 24, 2012 3:02 PM in response to DrPhibes

Hi There, yes, mine is exactly the same as that, as you say if you switch the phone off then on again it works fine, so I too think its a software issue.

It is annoying especially when the phone is in the house and the screen says you have missed a call and you didnt even hear it ring!, very annoying as the phone is only a few days old!

Thanks for your message it gives me more confidence that it is a software issue that they will fix in a update, I have also booked in a call back from apple support for tomorrow so will let you know how I get on.

Thanks once again.

Sep 26, 2012 5:56 PM in response to LAFANGA

Yep, same thing is happening to me. Brand new iPhone 5 and dozens of times every day I'll miss a text, alert or more importantly a phone call due to the fact that there was no sound coming from the phone. I tried resetting it a few times but still the same problem as fourcandles describes. I'm taking it to my local Apple Store and want it replaced immediately. Even if it's a software update issue that can be fixed, Apple is very good when it comes to replacing their devices and/or fixing the issue when your there. Apple better also start explaining the very poor battery life too. My iPhone 4S had much better battery life. Bad reviews are starting to pop up all over the net within the last few days.

Sep 26, 2012 5:56 PM in response to fourcandles2012

Yep, same thing is happening to me. Brand new iPhone 5 and dozens of times every day I'll miss a text, alert or more importantly a phone call due to the fact that there was no sound coming from the phone. I tried resetting it a few times but still the same problem as fourcandles describes. I'm taking it to my local Apple Store and want it replaced immediately. Even if it's a software update issue that can be fixed, Apple is very good when it comes to replacing their devices and/or fixing the issue when your there. Apple better also start explaining the very poor battery life too. My iPhone 4S had much better battery life. Bad reviews are starting to pop up all over the net within the last few days.

Oct 14, 2012 5:31 AM in response to DrPhibes

I had exact same problem. Got iphone 5 16G on Sep 21, my sound disappeared at least 4 times with the only way to get it back was to power off. I use phone for alarm, I almost missed getting up for work due to no sound. Took back to apple store, none in stock, went to nearest Verizon purchaced an iphone 5 64G and returned the 16G to the apple store with no problems. I do hope this one doesn't have the same problem but I am leary....

iphone 5 no sound

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.