Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPhone 5 screen dims by itself..

This has happened about 6 times since day of release.. while using the phone, in an app, the screen will suddenly go to what I'd guess is the lowest dimming setting.. in the dark I see that the apps are still running, just barely visible. If I can navigate back to the brightness setting, the phone shows it to be at max brightness with auto brightness turned off... the screen stays dim until I move the slider.. as soon as the slider moves the phone lights back up...

I can't force this to happen.. it has been random.. but it has been at least once a day since I received it.

My son say his did this as well.. once..

Anybody else?

Black iPhone 5, 16GB

iPhone 5, iOS 6

Posted on Sep 27, 2012 9:53 AM

108 replies

Jan 30, 2017 11:43 AM in response to Stuntman99

I have the 6 plus & have the same problem. My phone has been having a nervous breakdown the past few weeks. Dimming, battery ***** (drains so fast & goes off at 20% indicating I need to recharge. As soon as I plug it in, I jump to like 50 or 60%. Running diagnostics shows my battery is running at 84%. Spent time at Apple Store, online with senior supervisors. Finally reset my phone as new, (had my backup in iCloud) & am still setting everything up to my liking. Guess what? It just went darker again. I'm so ****** off. Am waiting got the 8 to come out & buying that. I'm st a loss of words.

Sep 27, 2012 10:11 AM in response to whitewater2

This is very possible.. but I'd think if this was happening there would be more discussion of it.. I see nobody else complaining of the sudden darkening of their phones.. I see confusion as to what appears to be some sort of Auto-Tuning of the brightness... perhaps I need to setup my phone as New instead of restoring it from previous iPhone backup.. Perhaps some junk came with the old data...

Sep 27, 2012 10:24 AM in response to Stuntman99

Yea, I know 3 people personally with iphone 5's are complaining of it, they just dont go on here the discussion boards. I submitted bug report to apple already...

Although discussions.apple.com is a good measure to research issues/fixes, its not the sole source of issue tracking. There are millions of people that go to the Apple store to complain and hope those are logged, out of all my friends with iPhones I am the only one that comes here...

I also think so many people are complaining of other issues, like battery life etc.

Sep 27, 2012 10:27 AM in response to whitewater2

I've got an appointment this afternoon with Apple.. they want to try and 'Fix' it.. I suspect that means a long line, factory restore of software, and a 'let us know if it happens again'...

Since my son has also said this happened to him once, I suspect there are others.. if 2 out of the 4 people I know who have the new phone have seen it.. it's either a widespread hardware issue or a softare issue that affects all of us..

I'm watching for the wi-fi issues and data connectivity issues.. but I have Sprint in a non LTE area.. so slow speeds are a given.. wouldn't know if I had a problem! 😐

Sep 27, 2012 10:33 AM in response to Stuntman99

Yea, I am in non-LTE, so I just turned LTE off.

Let me know what happens at the Apple Store. I know initually they must just swap it out and hope the problem goes away, but keep an eye on it.

To make sure I had no inherent settings leftover from my iPhone 4 backup, I went into Reset and Reset All Settings (not erase) and had to re-set up all my WiFi passwords and then the phone settings, but didnt take long. I wanted to make sure nothing was present.

For now on, with a new device, i would just set up as new and download my apps back manually...pain, but I think that is the best bet.

Sep 28, 2012 7:58 AM in response to risnand

I spent some time at the local Apple Store yesterday and was able to get the Genius to admit that Apple has heard some complaints regarding this. There is no current solution. This is what I decided to try and the Genius thought it was a valid idea.

As far as I have been able to tell this seems to be a problem only on phones that were restored.. either by upgrading from an earlier version of IOS to IOS 6, or a new phone that already has IOS 6 that was restored from a backup from a previous version of IOS.

So what I'm testing is having my phone reset to factory and configuring it as a NEW phone.. then manually re-doing all my settings and syncing all my apps and such back to the phone..

It's a pain, but the thought is that something is carrying over from a previous IOS version during the restore process that is not playing well with IOS 6.

So far so good.. 24 hours and it hasn't glitched yet... will post back here if it does... or even if it doesn't.

Sep 30, 2012 12:17 AM in response to Stuntman99

On occasion, my iPhone 5 when I hit the home button to wake the phone up, to use it. it will power on to Minimal brightness, And when I go into the brightness settings, the brightness is three quarters the way up (where I set it), with AUTO BRIGHTNESS TURNED OFF. If I touch the slider bar at all, the brightness will pop back on to normal brightness, Or if I lock the phone and hit the home button again, it usually will turn back onto normal brightness. This has happened about once a day since I got the iPhone 5, My Verizon iPhone was not restored from a older version. Any one else with this issue?

Sep 30, 2012 6:03 AM in response to Stuntman99

iOS 6 distinctly changed how the screen brightness works. For me it's been a major improvement, I no longer get blinded if I activate the screen in a dark room. It starts out dim then gradually adjusts to the level I have set. The OS also changed how the screen dims and goes out when the auto lock takes effect. I've alway had mine set to autolock in 2 minutes, in prior versions the screen and phone would just go black at this time. Now at some interval before the two minutes the screen goes very dim but as you said the app icons are still somewhat visible. To me this is an improvement, it gives me a warning that the phone is going to lock and if I don't want it to I can just tap the screen and it's active again. Before I would have no warning and if I still wanted to use the phone I would have to use the home button and the slider again. This is similar to the settings on a mac where the screen will dim prior to going to sleep. I haven't determined what the time interval is before the set autolock time is and it may vary between phones but if it's not a convenient interval for you just increase your autolock time.

iPhone 5 screen dims by itself..

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.